Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wind Druid on HC

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Aerath, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Wind Druid on HC

Anyone got any tips for me on that ?

I saw the Wind Druid guide in the sticky, but frankly - that's useless.

I can't rely on high end gear, can't twink and certainly can't afford to just pump full strength without regard for anything else.

I did a search in the HC forums, but found nothing there.

I'll list what I got so far (and yes, I know I could've spent some points better.)

__

Lvl 18

Str 45
    Dex 45
    Vit 45
    NRG 25

(If I'm not mistaken)

5 Spirit of Oak
    5 Arctic Blast (starter damage... 66-73 cold damage/sec is fairly nice atm)
    7 Cyclone Armour (or I need to plunk in one remaining SP... forgot)
    1 in Twister (doubt I'll be pumping this one)

1 SP remaining. Might drop it into a Raven. Am wondering how will a flock of Ravens will help these characters.

__

Any help much appreciated.

Oh... remaining info :
    Tis a party of 2. The other char is a Lightning Sorc.
    We're using Prayer and a Defiance Mercs.
    On NM, that Prayer one will be replaced by a Holy Freeze Merc.

2. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Alright..I guess you don't know what you're doing.
    Here's my advice, remake your druid.
    Gear that will keep you alive in hardcore is this
    Wizardspike (shard or suicide branch can be alright)
    Vipermagi (upgrade if you can)
    Shako (or peasant crown, or even rockstopper)
    Stormshield (or sig shield, or a mosers, or the ward gothic shield)
    Arachnid Mesh (or nightsmoke, string, or glooms trap)
    10fcr rings or soj or bk ring.
    Trang gloves or magefist
    A rare druid ammy with resists, fcr, +skill, any of those mods are good. Otherwise just a chromatic of the whale or some such.

If you can't afford that, there are really better characters to make. Wind druids are basically melee casters, you need to be in close range, so you need d/r and block to survive. Try a sorc or hammerdin so you can mf yourself some gear before you make a more gear-requiring character.

For skills, I would follow my guides skill layout. You need to be able to kill things. Arctic blast is a complete waste. Get a bear to tank asap, and maybe a bit more emphasis on oak then twister, otherwise that is the most effective skill point distribution. Remember, all available points go into cyclone, save up until then, it gives you good hurricane duration and basically you will be immune to elemental, recast it OFTEN.
    For stats, definitely max block, a great early shield is sigons, stormshield is the ultimate hardcore shield in my opinion, but you can do okay with a 2 diamond moser, if you decide you won't have or can't afford ss, then go a lot lower on the strength, I wouldn't go over 100. Definitely max block though, that's more important then the life you would get from less dex.

3. Super5

Super5 IncGamers Member

I'm playing a wind druid in HCL (currently in act 2 nm) and judging by your skill point distribution, you will be hurting long before then. For one thing, don't ever put any points into energy. It's a complete waste for any type of druid, especially for HC, where life and blocking are the most important things. As soon as you get about 70 str (or enough to wear the gear you have at the moment), put all the rest of your points into vit or dex. You've already wasted 4 points in artic blast, but I guess that's ok, you can still go on. You'll regret it later though. Don't put any points into ravens, they are useless for wind druids, since you need to be close to your enemies to be able to hit them. Hurricane is short range, and tornado becomes very difficult to aim at large distances. So ravens won't do squat since the monsters will always see you.

Here's what I recommend: play like a normal melee druid until about lvl 27 or so (get yourself a good weapon and armor - sigon's set is excellent for this if you have it), then you'll be able to do enough damage with tornado so that you can abandon the melee route. Once you hit 27-28, get a spectral shard and go to work with tornado. Good items at this point are primarily ones that give you +mana and faster cast rate. You will need a lot of mana to sustain your casting, so that's the most important thing. Your skill points should go to, in order: tornado, then cyclone armor until you reach level 30. Then put your points to hurricane, then tornado, then cyclone armor. After these three are maxed you have a few choices: oak sage for more life, twister for more damage, or a summon for a tank (direwolves are ok, but grizzlies are the best). It might be better to get a pelt with + to grizzly instead of putting actual points in it. You don't really need more than a couple for an effective tank.

P.S. Listen to Fenris, he knows what he's talking about... I've only made it to nm so far with my windy, but he's been much farther. My suggestions will probably get you through nm, but hell is a whole different ball game.

4. GIR

GIR Banned

While starter damage is helpful, you'll wish you had those points later. Once you hit level 30, Artic Blast pretty much becomes obsolete. Then you'll have Hurricane, (I assume) which provides cold/slowing damage, and provides it in 360 degrees, and allows you to either melee or throw Tornados about. But, short of starting your build over, use it if you got it, I suppose.

5. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Frankly - it's my first HC char. I seriously doubt I'll hit lvl 80+, so I am not too concerned over those skill points. At the moment I got maxed out what is relevant what what I'll need (i.e. Cyclone Armour).
    The Artic Blast remains at those 5 points, as by the time it becomes obsolete with that damage, I'll have something to replace it with.

As I said in the first post, all the talk about gear is nice and all - but completely useless. I have nothing to trade, I have nothing to twink. I will have to make do with what I find and, based on prior experiences, that won't be Shakos or even a Sigon's Shield, knowing my luck...

Thanks for the information that I could apply though :)

6. Super5

Super5 IncGamers Member

I can give you a spectral shard to help ya out... unless you're opposed to twinking in any form. This is assuming you're on West HCL of course.

7. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Thanks for the offer :thumbsup:

I fear I'm on Europe though... :hanky:

8. L_Clan_Dalamar

L_Clan_Dalamar IncGamers Member

i play hc too and have a lvl 82 wind druid and here is my experience:

well first of all i agree that the stickied guide just needs the best equipment and i probably wont ever see that kind of stuff so it is useless to me too, but that is the case with many guides. I made my druid according to what voice wrote a few months ago about his ladder untwinked wind druid. So what you gotta do is go with max tornado / cyclone armor / hurricane / oak sage and place a point in grizzly for tanking purposes. Get max block and get a sigon shield at least for blocking. Wizzy is reaaaalyyy nice but sortta hard to find for starters but still u can find it around if u do some heavy trading and mfing at least in nm.

DONT put any pts into energy btw it is useless later on. Just use pots. And get max resists. Go through the game slowly. Your first aim could be to be able to clean the mausleoum in act1 hell for some gear as meph takes a long time or you could build a sorc for mf purposes if you want to solo hell meph. Otherwise staying with a party/ using a shield and tornado is your best bet in hell. Actually wind druids are good for hc with lots of life and magic dmg.

hf

9. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

OMG...my guide lists the optimal eq, then look at secondary equipment, I gave you a lot of less expensive items to work with. If you can't afford that then you are going to die in nightmare with this build.

10. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Fenris - I saw that, but please understand that when I say I have -nothing- to trade and -nothing- to twink, that's exactly what it is.

I simply can not base the progress on this char on any items I might or mightn't have.

11. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Alright guys i'm actually in the process of making one of these on hcl untwinked as well. So i'll give my suggestions ... i didnt read all the post so if i repeat forgive me. This is what im doing: (only lvl 42 or so)

Get lvl 10 oak relatively fast ... then keep it there for awhile, life is good but pointless if you cant kill anything.

Slowly work your way to get lvl 5 ravens .... i played w/ wind druids to find out that ravens are the bomb on any druid that is pvm.

Get lvl 1 vine that heals life, I have also played hc enough to know that this stupid vine has saved my life on more than one equation.

I also put 7-8 into c/a ... i also noticed that most instant death are elemental damage related or might/fant aura monster related ... so im trying to take one of these out of the equation by getting c/a early

Work way up so that you can get one point into grizzly w/in 2-3 lvls after passing lvl 30.

After all that start pumping into hurricane ... tornado does themost damage .. but its pointless if you dont have the mana to sustain the spamming so hurricane is probably the best first choice max ... then go a lil more in c/a, oak/ then to tornado.

stats:
    75 str (found sigon shield)
    mixture between dex and vit (at lvl 42 i got 50% block to give idea of my dex)
    no energy

Gear:
    high block % shield
    stealth
    lt wand is great early on norm (cast lt and let your merc take down anything w/o dying) brought mine off of ormus.
    anything you find for rest of gear really (find a circlet and upgrade it i got fcr and other good mods on mine ... no + skills though)

hope this helps if any more questions i'll try and reply

12. L_Clan_Dalamar

L_Clan_Dalamar IncGamers Member

yay this is the guy whose guide helped me do my build almost untwinked ^^

it is doable and u wont die just as soon as u hit nm u just need to play more cautious, especially dont let your oak sage die :/

13. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

yea .. any build is do-able most dont have the patience to be honest.

Proof of this is my lvl 67 barb took down dclone in hc while using a 2-28 dam. crystal sword yesterday. Thus meaning his gear obviously wasnt godly or anything like that ... if you build anything right you dont need great weapons for it to be effective, but most people either:
    a) dont know how to build

or

b) depend so much on godly gear that they forget how to use skill in pvm

It is true many will argue against 2 suggestions above (life vine & ravens) and some will disagree w/ grizzly but from my experience ... ravens own no matter what build you are for pvm, and vine is ONLY worth puttin into if hc ... if sc dont waste anypoints. Ande well ... for those of you who disagree w/ grizzly probably use godly gear ... cuz lets face it you WILL need a tank and w/ high oak and grizzly you will get a good enough tank.

Also by tank i dont mean something that is invinsible, what i mean is something you can cast in front of you so you can get 5-10 tornados off before having to re-cast. ALWAYS keep eye on bears health and recast before he dies if he is acting like a tank .. if he dies .. there is a chance you will too.

'yay this is the guy whose guide helped me do my build almost untwinked ^^'

heh .. im surprised anyone remembers me and that wind druid thread.

14. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Okay - Now I'm confused...

The one says to ignore Ravens, the other to get 5 Ravens asap... :scratch:

15. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Listen to me .... i guarentee you'll see it my way or your money back.

also you must realize a lot of people play w/ godly gear .. thus they dont need ravens ... but hey even my softcore ladder lvl 92 uses ravens ... they blind pesky things like gloomes ... btw blinding means they just sit still as you hit them .... how is that not helpful in pvm ?????

16. Super5

Super5 IncGamers Member

The reason I said not to put any points into ravens is that I just don't think they help out all that much. In hell, monsters can see you from a long way off, and they come rushing at you. When ravens blind them, they still walk towards you... even if you move. They do this basically because the monster will keep trying to execute its last action until it has to make another "decision". Its last action was that it saw you, and tried to attack. So the monster knows where you are until it cancels its last action, and this sometimes takes awhile with big dumb monsters (like yeti, blunderbores, etc.). I've had monsters chase me for 10 seconds or more even when they were blinded. The one thing ravens are good against is ranged monsters and boss packs. Since these are the most dangerous for windies, then a small point investment into ravens is ok. I wouldn't recommend 16 points though, 5 is enough if you want the extra security against ranged monsters. I hope that clears up the confusion.

17. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

dont you want them near you .. your a wind druid not a ranged attacker ... Also who cares if they get 1 attack off chances are if your build right you can take quite a few attacks esp. if you got 75 block. After that 1 attack they are just going to stand there taking up space while you tornado them ...

18. kridebbent

kridebbent IncGamers Member

Here's my advice for what it's worth:

I tried making a totally untwinked wind druid in HC when 1.10 first came out, and I died in norm Chaos Sanctuary to the Infector of Souls (yeah, it was partly my stupidity, but partly having absolutely crap gear).

So I made several other characters in the interim, then recently remade my Wind Druid. Right now I am in act 2 nightmare, level 52 with the following gear:

Jalal's
    Whitstan's w/ PDiamond
    Suicide Branch
    +1 skills amulet
    2 x fcr rings
    "Smoke" Dusk Shroud
    Waterwalks
    Sigon's belt

I have maxed Hurricane and about level 10 each in Oak Sage, Tornado, and Cyclone Armor, with 1 point in Grizzly.

This character kicks butt. I haven't even been seriously threatened in NM and my gear is far from the best available (although not bad).

Moral of the story? I strongly recommend making a different character as an HC starter. Come back to your wind druid when you have an item base.

19. Super5

Super5 IncGamers Member

Just for the record, I disagree with krid... you can play a HC Windy untwinked, you just have to be reaaaally careful at lower levels. Play him like a melee character until the point when you get good tornado damage. This is a difficult character to play at low levels, just keep all the +life and resists equipment that you find, and buy the most powerful weapon you can find (life leech helps a lot too). If you die, most likely it will be in the CS, since the monsters there are like a sledgehammer to pure melee characters, especially those without any supporting skills (like you). Starting in act 5 norm all the way through nm, the character will be a breeze, even without any good gear. I'm using about the worst gear you can imagine (pure mfing stuff on), no +skills, and I wipe the floor with everything in nm in a solo game on HCL. If you're partied with another char, it just becomes easier for you. Don't give up hope, it can be done!

20. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Well... I got that Lightning Sorc with me... And two act II Mercs, so that helps a fair bit...

Since it's my first HC char, I'm not expecting to do real well... normally, if I don't pay attention, I die with a sc char in act III, because I tend to run straight into a group of Flayers.

And the characters I really like all are vulnerable (i.e. [Kick]assassin and Druid)... Overlord Necro is easy, but not that much fun really.

// edit : btw - sorry for taking so long to reply. The forums died on me several times whilst trying to post.