Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wind Druid help with Mana

Discussion in 'Druid' started by DarkWolf555, Feb 20, 2004.

1. DarkWolf555

DarkWolf555 IncGamers Member

Wind Druid help with Mana

Hi, new to the forums and still learning most of the game still.

I wanted to ask for help, I'm making a Wind druid after seeing all the threads here on the build and started making it.

I didn't follow the exact build, I put stat points in what I wanted and I have a problem with mana usage. I'm level 36, 14 Cyclone armor, 5 Hurricane, 3 twister and I forgot how many in tornado maybe 7 or 8.

Anyway, I cast Hurricane first then start casting tornado as my main attack but I have problems trying to get back the mana used. I pump up mana potions all the time just to fill up my mana ball. My Energy is at 50, should I find a 3 Socketed Spirit Mask and put in a Perfect Skull and some other stuff to help me out in the mana?

I don't know what I should do, since the gems and Skulls are perminant I don't want to waste them if I could find something better overtime in high levels (60 to 80). Would it be a good idea to imbue a Spirit Mask with charsi's imbue quest on a level 6 char? Would I get sockets for it?

Thoughts?

2. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

Just stalk up on other items that give you mana for now. Possibly stop pumping your main skill for now and pump synergies so it will gain strength, but not costs in mana.

3. GIR

GIR Banned

Personally I went straight down the line when maxing skills, except for Twister. Cyclone Armor, Tornado, then Hurricane. The only time I deviated from that was I put a point in Hurricane instead of Tornado once it became available. That, and I had put 3 points into Twister early on, but stopped when I noticed that the damage increase wasn't all that much, and saved points for when Tornado became available.

Also, Tornado stays at a casting cost of 10 no matter what the level if I'm not mistaken, which is great.

I'm not really sure what to tell you here. My Energy is at base, and I don't have a problem. I just drink a few potions here and there and I'm good. I keep one or two in my inventory for when I need them, but that isn't often. I don't have any items that give +XX% Regenerate Mana either.

I guess a few tips off the top of my head would be these: First, I recast Cyclone Armor everytime I go into town before I talk to whoever it is in the act that restores all your health/mana. That way you're always going back out at full strength. My guess would be that some tactics changes would be in order. First, I find that Tornado is best used with large groups instead of single targets, bosses/Act bosses being the exception. If you encounter a group, use some moving around to lump them into a large group and let a few Tornados fly into it. If you know how to aim your Tornados, this is usually the best way to drop creatures quickly. Once you get them down to a manageable size, let your Merc and Hurricane finish off the stragglers. Also, Hurricane can be a bit of a Mana burner, so only use it when you need it on packs of tough creatures. If you get a pack of something that drops in one or two Tornados, Hurricane's not all that necessary I've found. let your Merc finish up the few creatures that might be left, after all, that's what you're paying him for. Now, if you find say a pack of Carvers or something, I find it's a better use of Mana to throw on Hurricane and run through the camp/pack. They usually go down in a hit or two of Hurricane, depending on Difficulty/Hurricane strength. With your 14 points into Cyclone armor, you should have enough duration on Hurricane for this to work well. A few tactics changes can go a long way. I find that using Tornados on one or two creatures to be a waste, when your Merc can do it just fine.

4. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

Yeah, Tornado always has a casting cost of 10. :)

5. GIR

GIR Banned

Yeah, I just checked out my Wind Druid just to be sure. I think that's great.

6. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

I found that getting a Solar Creeper, even at lvl 1, is a big help. I've never done a Wind druid with base Energy, but I know that, at higher levels, my vine can eat one corpse and fill me back up from a Hurricane.

7. Bob_TheMadCow

Bob_TheMadCow IncGamers Member

Tir runes are your friend :) If your really in trouble try to get five of those and every nado that kills something will let you cast another nado to kill the next thing.

I had a leaf staff, Tir/PSaphire in my helm and shield on a fire druid and had a sorc comment that I seemed to have unlimited mana :). But Leaf (TirRal in a staff) is only really good for fire druids :(

Just try to get more mana from your gear, things will only get better as you level up, gain more mana naturally, do more damage per nado, and get better gear :)

8. GIR

GIR Banned

Really? I don't know. I'm at level 59, Energy at base, 185 total Mana with 49 coming from Charms and equipment, and I have 150 stat points I haven't used yet, and I'm blowing my way through Act 3 NightMare at the moment with very little Mana problems, and those are nothing that a quick Mana potion can't fix. This is a completely untwinked Character, too.

9. Bob_TheMadCow

If you know what your doing, base mana should be enough. You don't really get enough mana from raising NRG, just like you don't really wanna resort to pumping DEX to raise AR :)

Solar Creeper can be handy if, like me, you don't like drinking pots unless it's really needed.

10. GIR

GIR Banned

Just out of curiosity, why don't you like drinking them?

11. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Nothing wrong with mana pots.
    At low levels, I don't see the problem.
    Get to 25, level in baal games (you shouldn't have to kill a lot), that should get you high enough to have a nice mana base/gear.
    My windy still uses mana pots pvm sometimes, usually after long teles and such.

12. GIR

GIR Banned

Agreed. Really, in PvM mana shouldn't be a problem as potions literally liter the ground. If you're really having a problem, fill up a belt row with them. I keep Full Rejuvs in 3 rows, and I keep a row of Healing potions in the other, just so I'm not wasting the Rejuvs when regular potions will usually do the job fine with the lesser creatures, and keep the Rejuvs for the big boss fights when you need an instant refreshing.

13. Bob_TheMadCow

Old habit. I'm a hoarder, I don't like the idea of running out of potions, so I make sure I always have plenty.

I'm not sure. It's just one of those things :)

You should have seen my 1.09 Geomancer, boy could he go through mana like there was no tomorrow!

14. sexyfool

sexyfool IncGamers Member

I am also building a wind druid and at 65 ish atm doing nm baals and the odd run to help others thru chaos sanctuary and the like. My energy is at base and I was, even at lvl 61, struggling to complete a run without one or two mana pots. Accept that drinking pots is inevitable and play on. If you have mf'd enough to add a wiz and a shako as I have then of course your mana problems disappear but there are numerous cheap alternatives. Check arreat summit for elite items that add to mana and mid level sets and use those items. Do not waste your time trying to get the "uber" items, your wind druid is awesome without them.

Read gir's first post carefully as he is giving excellent advice on how to use tornado which is still my biggest mana drain. I strongly recommend you max cyclone armour first. This will boost tornado damage, hurricane length ( less need to recast ) and the damage absorb is simply fabulous.

I have placed one pt in raven the 2 wolves and bear so with plus skills i have 6 to all these summons for a very cheap 4 pt investment. Use them as tanks to group the monsters and then cut loose. Look for blue ele skill ammys. They drop often and plus 1 and 2 are very easy to get. I have a plus 3 and while I was working up to lvl 46 another one dropped at my feet. Pick up and identify every ammy!

Find or trade for a spectral shard (50% fast cast, 50 mana, 10%res all). It will cost very little and is a great stopgap untill you can find or trade for wizard spike. Use a plus to mana druid helm or make a lore (ort/sol) helm. Manald heal is a pretty cheap ring with great ele druid mods.

Good luck with your windy and if your on hcl uswest look me up. I play as cof-fool. Happy to help out if I can.

15. GIR

GIR Banned

Hah, I feel ya on that. I'm trying to break that habit at the moment. I used to keep 4 Mana potions in my inventory at all times "just in case." But then I started to notice that I only used one every not-so-often, so I cut it down to one, and it's been enough. I've also got into the habit of just picking them up off the ground and popping it on the spot after mana-draining battles. It works well for me.

16. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

I know i typed awhile ago in the faq wind druid thread to max tornado fast b/c its your main killing skill. However there tends to be more and more untwinked ele's coming in here. So this is my suggestion (I'm doing this on hcl right now). Max hurricane FIRST if untwinked or dont have funds... it can take care of anything in norm/nm difficulties except for a few monsters (use tornado on them). This will save you on mana. Also as bob said tir is your friend i remember in hc 09 i used to go tir hunting for my low lvl sorces ... mana after kill helps a lot. I'm not really sure what your funds are ... but keep an eye out for

Magic Light Belt/Sharkskin Belt/Vampirefang Belt
    Ith Rune
    Perfect Amethyst
    Any Jewel

for a crafted caster belt (cube it)

and

Magic Amulet
    Ral Rune
    Perfect Amethyst
    Any Jewel

You can get the first ral rune off of the save the barb quest so that should almost give you one craft hopefully a p amethyst will fall on forge.

17. Bob_TheMadCow

If you can be bothered doing it and setting up an easy twink item, get a six Tir'd Crystal Sword/pick axe. Very low reqs, and available for use from lvl 13 :) But you need to find the sword with a higher level character

18. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Actually max cyclone along with tornado (saved points should be going there) so you don't have a ten second hurricane which would be WORSE on your mana.

19. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

I agree to some extent that using getting both to a decent lvl however I forgot to mention that i got a high lvl ca (10+) before torndado / hurricane was availlable so once hurricane was available no more in ca is needed. Also if you max ca your hurricane will be doing much less damage for a long period of time thus you will use less mana but will be waitin a decent amount of time to kill anything in nm..... its a win lose situation. Max ca get less dam. for more time. Max cane get more damage for less time.

If you get a lvl 10 ca before cane becomes available you will have little mana problems and do mad damage, I have tested this ..... since i am currently building a total untwinked hc.

Also I answered this w/ respect to many d2 players. How so? 95% of d2 players would perfer to kill faster than to be more efficent .... lets face it the human race is greedy .... (me included). I dont want to stand and wait 15 seconds for a monster to die most of the time .... i want close to instant death .... thus maxing hurricane is the answer.

20. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

You're forgetting that points in cyclone will raise tornado damage just as much as hurricane would, which is your killer, not hurricane.