Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Will you start out in town or chat lobby?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by GraphicMD, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GraphicMD

GraphicMD IncGamers Member

Will you start out in town or chat lobby?

I have read an interview a long time ago with one of the development staff from Battle Net who went to work on Guild Wars. They said they originally wanted to have the characters in Diablo 2 start out in a town area similar to Guild Wars instead of a chat room lobby. Due to time and technology restraints at the time they were not able to work this into Diablo 2.

In Diablo 3 when you log in with your character, will you start out in a town area or another chat lobby. I am hoping it won't be a chat room. :)

2. Motaro

Motaro IncGamers Member

Re: Will you start out in town or chat lobby?

Since the multi player will be played through battle.net, i assume you will start in a chat lobby like every other game that has been played on battle.net.

3. GraphicMD

Why would you assume that? Battle Net isn't a chat lobby. That was designed as an easy organized entrance point. All of Diablo was played on Battle Net, even gameplay. It is fully capable of instancing.

4. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

Well technically you don't start out in a chat lobby. You join chat, just like warcraft 3. Most likely it will be the same. First thing I'm doing is gathering a party together to go experience the game.

5. Motaro

Motaro IncGamers Member

heh, yeah thats what i was trying to say

6. GraphicMD

That does not make a lot of sense to me. When you "join chat" you are entering into a chat lobby, or an organized chat where you can join multiple channels.

Well, it does not make much since in Warcraft III to start your army in a town area to find a group. It is not an RPG.

Keep in mind when responding, this is not a technical issue. They are building the game now, they can build it however they want. Battle Net is fully capable of hosting instances. Remember Diablo 1 and 2 where instance based. Guild Wars is also instance based, and you start out in a town area.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  7. PoXeR

PoXeR IncGamers Member

I actually preferred starting out in a chat area. It gave me time to talk to friends and set up things that I wanted to do. Also if I didn't want to jump right into a game I could sit in chat and go do something else. I myself would prefer if they kept it to joining a chat room off the bat.

8. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

Yeah.. When you login to battle net your not in a chat lobby. You join it if you prefer to do so.

You don't start the game in a town looking for a group of players.... Your making no sense here.

WoW runs on battle.net too. Same hosting server. It may not hold the battle net name, but it's hosted on the battle net server which are AT&T servers.

9. GraphicMD

yukisho...

Comment 1: Perhaps you are right. If you do not start out in a chat lobby today, you use to. It may have changed, but the interface is still the same. Still not relevant to the topic and not worth arguing about.

Comment 2: I realize you are probably young. I use to frustrate people to no end when I was young too. Please, you need to pay attention to what you read. Things to think about when you go back are re-read my response. I said it would NOT make since in Warcraft III to start out in a town. That was a direct response to your original comment.

Comment3: This is what is called a straw man. It is where you argue as if I had taken a stance on something that I had not taken. I am well aware, as everyone else, Battle Net is a server.

I was hoping to get some real discussion on this. It seems some people just like to argue.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008