Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Will we have to pay monthly???

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by KhaoticCody, Jul 4, 2008.

1. KhaoticCody

KhaoticCody IncGamers Member

Will we have to pay monthly???

I sure hope not >< what do you guys think? In d2 they obidously didnt but who knows...

2. glenthemann

glenthemann IncGamers Member

Re: Will we have to pay monthly???

I know they said its going to be on B.Net and that alone implies that it will be free since B.Net has always been free.

However, would you mind paying $10, $20 a month if you never got "Your Connection Has been interupted", "Failed To Join Game", or the ever so loved lag where nothing works for a minute and then everything speeds up and youre way away from where you thought you were and/or dead? That last part alone has been the cause for my 'deeds of valor' many times throughout my D2 history.

I know I wouldn't paying if it meant that never happening; and it still happens to this day just like it did 8 years ago when Diablo2 first hit b.net. Think of it this way, how many hours do you or have you spent playing diablo in a month period, and divide the theorectical cost (say $20 a month) by those number of hours. I think for a majority of us the 'cost per hour' is so meaningless, especially when you compare the costs of other sources of entertainment.

3. Elly

Elly Administrator

Perhaps this would be a situation of 'you pay for what you get'. Diablo 2 had more simultaneous players than the infrastructure could (can) support, there's every chance, with a larger gaming population now, Diablo 3 will have even more. B.net will need to be significantly improved to cope with that. I think Blizzard will improve upon what we now greatly.

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I have a slightly skewed perspective as I don't want to use Blizzards servers for play: SP or MP (I'd rather play over TCP/IP) but I hope not.

One of the interviews said "We know where out bread is buttered with this franchise"; that is hopeful. But I agree the updates, ingame Mods and low ping of WoW shows where the monthly fee goes.

5. Cdnexpat

Cdnexpat IncGamers Member

I am hoping we will and that we will get what we pay for. No duping, no fail to enter, no games crashing because you used a skill (rabies), no (or very little) lag if their happen to be a few things on the screen. Time will tell.

6. coldsong

coldsong IncGamers Member

I hope there is a $10-15 monthly fee. Filter out script kiddies, thank you very much.

7. Sein Schatten

Sein Schatten IncGamers Member

I fail to see the connection.

As for me. p2p and I won't buy it. Simple. :)

8. detestrian

detestrian IncGamers Member

I'm reluctant about p2p as well. Script kiddies, duping, crashes etc are technical matters which can be solved without a monthly fee, imho.

9. DWS

DWS IncGamers Member

I am betting they have some kind of pay service for SC2/D3 but I'm also betting they continue with a free service as well. Maybe they bundle all 3 into some kind of b.net pack.

Not sure the specifics of how it might work...but maybe you pay a small fee for dedicated servers, no dupes, inclusion in tournaments etc. It would have to be handled pretty delicately but I can definately see them putting together some kind of service bundle.

10. Temple Guard

Temple Guard IncGamers Member

I don't care about the pricing model at all. As long as Blizzard delivers the goods, they can charge a fair price for it. 20$ a month? I would pay a lot more for this game.

11. smartdot

smartdot IncGamers Member

i doubt blizzard will be charging a fee, as they already do that with wow. they would be hugely cannibalizing their their market. I play WoW, and only have enough income to support 1 p2p game reasonably, and i know i would give up wow in a heartbeat for d3. Either way, whether i choose d3, or wow, they have the same profit from me.

12. lionheart

lionheart IncGamers Member

Mehh not that i care much, i play single player anyway. If it means that i have to be online and pay for the game then i will just stick with d2.

13. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

I would mind it because it is an impossible goal. There isn't a pay to play MMO where i havnt suffered minute long lag, random disconnects or trouble getting into the game at one time or another

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  14. Volvagia

Volvagia IncGamers Member

I'll just copy/paste what I posted in another thread..

Here's the type of system I'd expect to see.

A similar ladder/nonladder system as what we have now.

Nonladder being able to play through the game on bnet, but you aren't ranked and don't have access to the higher-end items.

Then there's the "Premium" players who pay the fee, are ranked on the ladder, and have a much broader range of items to choose from. Maybe some additional side quests or something too.

Honestly, I think that may do a slightly better job at filtering out your typical 4 yr old, than just a MMO style flat fee.

Dumb kid: "Daddy will you pay $10 bucks a month so I can play my game?"
    Dad: "It says on the box that you can play online for free though.."
    Dumb kid: "But it's better if we pay! I get better items, more quests, and the whole world can see my rank!"
    Dad: "Keep bugging me and I'll return it and you won't play at all.."

Personally, I'd feel a little better about eating a monthly fee if it was something like that rather than simply everybody pays to play.

15. Jaklax

Jaklax IncGamers Member

/facepalm
    Blizzard makes mass off WoW, and is rich as hell..they won't charge for jack! It will cause an uproar, and ppl to think of blizzard in a different way. Come on ppl..get with the program

If it's somethin we gotta pay for.. it better be a MMO! Hell, they already started with the toon graphics

16. coldsong

coldsong IncGamers Member

compare support for wow (content patches, low ping, hack free) VS any free online game, even of blizz's making - SC/D2/TFT (just slit wrists now)

you still fail to see the connection

17. Sein Schatten

Was that a question? In case it is, how is that relevant to my post?

18. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

I can say with about 99.9% certainty that D3 will NOT be pay to play. Aside from hardcore Diablo fans, most gamers will simply not join. D3 will have to compete with many other games, most of which ARE free to play. The market long ago determined that games like Wow could charge, but games like Diablo no. Also keep in mind this would open the door for a competing company to simply put out a free to play Diablo clone. Maybe EA put's out a Lord of the Rings D3 clone.

Secondly, let us all remember that Battle.net is an advertised supported network. Blizzard has a huge incentive to get as many players online as possible. Much like any television program, they are dependent upon ratings because those rating equal the cost the network can charge for advertising time slots.

Battle.net was one of the first free to play gaming services that became profitable, and they still are. As far as we all know, Blizzard is not necessarily hurting financially. A change such as this could and would seriously hurt Blizzard more than adding the small benefit of a monthly fee. To charge now would create a massive fan backlash that would simply detract from the positive hype and spin they want to put on this game.

People expect Bnet to be free, you have millions of players online, many of which will simply not play. Many of which will be angered by switching to a P2p. The fallout from that is just simply not worth it financially for Blizzard, especially when they will still continue to earn revenue by having a free service.

So with that said, does anyone really think D3 will be pay to play?

19. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

I think you're in for a shock friend. I am 99.99% certain that blizzard will NOT be F2P over bnet.

Now, you say they're competing with "many other games which are FREE to play"? Please, list me games that have robust online support (beyond Tcp/Ip) that are also arpg's and are free to play. You may have some magical list, but unless you're talking about Diablo 2 it's going to be a pretty short list.

The market never determined what could and couldn't be charged for. And if it has, then we should use Xbox LIVE as an example that everything can be charged for.

The game probably will be F2P single player and F2P TCP/IP, but bnet F2P is unlikely, particularly with the host of improvements they're talking about for D2 on B.NET.

20. Sein Schatten

You want a list? The list are releases of MMORPGs. D3 can't compete with them. The improvements are just changes that have to be done in this day and age.