Will this A2 Merc work?

Lgpergentile

Diabloii.Net Member
Will this A2 Merc work?

Defiance is my fav, cuz I get massive bonus from it too.
I was thinking:
Eth Upped Vampire Gaze Bone Visage (450 Defense)
Eth Upped Guardian Angel Hellforge Plate (2400 Defense)
Eth Tomb Reaver Cryptic Axe

I was thinking Ber/Cham (Cannot be Frozen and 8% Damage Reduction... Shael is tempting for Faster Hit Recovery though) for helm/armor sockets, and Jah/Pul/Pul (Ignore Targets Defense... autohit and +150% damage to Demons... so he can kill the act bosses)

This will leave me with a merc with 90% all resistances in hell, about 14k Defense (After Defiance Aura), 8% Life Leech, 28% Damage Reduction, 80MF, About 2k average damage and a 6.5fps attack speed, and lastly and most importantly a +8 light radius, not to mention the epic Reanimate ability.

I know you can get 25k def with an eth sacred armor stone or do 4k average dmg with this or that, but for the 90% all res thing, what do you think of this setup? Any degrading belligerence is welcome. XD

Kijya

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Will this A2 Merc work?

Sure it will work just fine, but there are better choices out there for your fishy. In your army of skeletons the defense from defiance really doesn't matter, and those revived from tomb reaver don't do much good to be honest.

:whistling:

Edit: As you've figured I'm trying to pointing out that we don't know what build you play, thus I'll personally wait before giving more concrete advice.

Last edited:

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

Upgrading the vampire gaze can cause the defense to go down.

Your merc has no CB, so he will not kill act bosses fast. Obedience in an eth polearm will probably be better overall and much better for act bosses.

For the most part, I think that the Gladiator's Bane will be better than Guardian Angel. The 20 mdr along with the mdr on the gaze will protect against elemental damage better than some more resists. Of course, there are cases where this is not true.

For survival, switching to either Might merc or Fortitude will greatly increase his damage output (somewhere in the neighborhood of doubling) and thus increase his life leeching. Keep in mind that Fortitude also cast Chilling Armor.

I've never worried about ITD on mercs. They don't need it, and it doesn't work against bosses/uniques/champions anyway.

This also really depends on what character this is for.

There might be more things, but that's enough for now.

Flax

Diabloii.Net Member

I have to agree with snickersnack Gladiator's bane is and amazing merc armour both the PDR and the MDR.

And i would like to have some more leech on him but i guess thats mostly from me running might mercs usualy and not defiance mercs.

Lgpergentile

Diabloii.Net Member

This merc was to go with my wind druid. I have found, that when I try to make tokens, and hafta go kill Diablo, that the Infector of Souls mob kills him.
Is like 20 points of magic damage reduction really that good, when unique monsters do like, a thousand damage at least in hell with magical attacks? Expecially if there are more people in the game than just me?
I know there are better choices, but I was just wondering if you guys with more experience could tell my if "No, that will die, it is missing X"
So it seems the best way to keep a2 merc alive is high damage with lifeleech, just like a zealer or smiter?
I already have the Eth Vampgaze and Tombreaver, and just found the Eth Guardian Angel and liked the look of it. I wanted to know if it was worth upping and socketing. I'm fine with switching to a might merc, but I myself am lacking in defense (6k w/o defiance), so that bonus is nice. If I could make the Guardian Angel work, could I do it just by picking the right runes?
Maybe Jah and 2 Amn runes in the Tommbreaver giving him 23% ll, then Cham/Ber to make sure he is good against being frozen and giving him 28% dr total?

juju

Diabloii.Net Member

If you can affort Eth 3k-4k def forty buy it, orr make own!!! Its really best merch armor in game :) Delirium is good merch helm too... makes chaos/baals much safer when merch cast (confuse/terror and so)

Lgpergentile

Diabloii.Net Member

I have a 4k eth sacred armor Fort, and Eth Obedience Cryptic Axe on my Auradin's Merc, I have found that my merc dies from elemental attacks on him aswell, making chaos runs annoying, so I am trying to think of a way to increase his resilience to elemental attacks.
The Eth Guardian Angel seems like the solution to that problem, he will take a hit to defense and hit recovery, but will only take 10% damage from any elemental attack. 5% from fire if I decide to throw a Vex in the armor/helm.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

The Eth Guardian Angel seems like the solution to that problem, he will take a hit to defense and hit recovery, but will only take 10% damage from any elemental attack. 5% from fire if I decide to throw a Vex in the armor/helm.
Are you sure that it's the fire damage (and not physical) from Infector that kills him? And even if it is, are you sure that inferno does a large amount of damage and not just a small amount many times? Diablo's firestorm is easily defeated with mdr because it does small amounts of damage repeatedly, and the mdr acts on each small amount.

Aside from those concerns, yes, GA is a fine merc armor.

nolan16

Diabloii.Net Member

If it was my fishy, I would use a NM offensive merc with a Pride in an eth elite polearm as well as a a Durress for CB and vampgaze for LL. I don't think keeping your merc or skeletons alive will be much of an issue, especially when you have 14-15 skeletons on the screen.

Lgpergentile

Diabloii.Net Member

Snicker Snack, I didn't think of that. Besides Gladiators Bane is there recomended gear for MDR? Because if there is and I can get it instead of more res and not take a hit to def that would be great.
Edit: Since poison ticks per second, would MDR effect it as well?

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

Besides Gladiators Bane is there recomended gear for MDR?
No. You could use a 4 mal armor, but you'd only get 1 more points of mdr and lose all of the other bonuses.

Because if there is and I can get it instead of more res and not take a hit to def that would be great.
Is GB no good for you because of the level requirement?

Edit: Since poison ticks per second, would MDR effect it as well?
No, mdr does not affect poison at all. (FYI, poison damage ticks per frame.)