Will they approach it like Starcraft 2?

TheNamelessOne

Diabloii.Net Member
Will they approach it like Starcraft 2?

The approach to Starcraft 2 seems to be to have some of the old favourites, keep the playing style basically the same, and bring the graphics up to speed with the world.

Will it be the same with D3? Some old chars, some new, same with skills and items, surely new story though so new enemies (+Diablo) and new locations.

prion

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Will they approach it like Starcraft 2?

i think we can expect significant changes to the way things work. if it was just better graphics they would have been done already.

alron

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd be very happy with an overhauled graphics engine, but nothing too fancy as long as it contains the DARK diablo atmosphere.

Maybe the same old popular races + a few more.

Tons more items, more skills, more areas, way larger game, more quests.

+some new elements that are unique and are intended to keep players playing.

Give me that and I'm happy.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member

the first mistake would be forcing everyone into an over-the-shoulder camera view

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

the first mistake would be forcing everyone into an over-the-shoulder camera view
Like RE4? I actually think this could perfectly if done right but knowning blizzard they will probably play safe and have a 3D game with a isometric view just like all Diablos were.

Blizzard's products receive lots of polishment and refinement but never too much innovation.

SnakeX

Diabloii.Net Member

i think we can expect significant changes to the way things work. if it was just better graphics they would have been done already.
Well, look at StarCraft 2. Yes there's some tweaks and numerous differences, but at its very core, it's still StarCraft with better graphics, and it took them nearly 10 years before they even said a word about StarCraft 2.

robzombiesslave

Diabloii.Net Member

Like RE4? I actually think this could perfectly if done right but knowning blizzard they will probably play safe and have a 3D game with a isometric view just like all Diablos were.

Blizzard's products receive lots of polishment and refinement but never too much innovation.
You never know, though this is kinda different but GTA1 and GTA2 were isometric and they switched to the "over-the-shoulder" camera view in GTA3. I remember playing GTA2 thinking/hearing about GTA3 and the camera change... And saying to myself "man thats going to suck, im gonna miss the overhead view." Yet it turned out to be damn fun and a great game. But then again they didnt have axes and giant monsters in GTA3.

I would still vote for the isometric viewpoint for D3 though. Or maybe adjustable viewpoints.

Mythic

Diabloii.Net Member

3d GTA didn't suck because it's essentially a shooter with driving elements, both of which work really well with that camera style.

I'm not saying that wacking guys with a sword with the same animation over and over looks awesome in Diablo 2, but in a first or even third person game where you're right there it looks really stupid.

Dirkw

Diabloii.Net Member

It's not 'playing safe', it's staying true to the formula and the concept.

I don't really call the use of a third person view 'innovative' either...

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

It's not 'playing safe', it's staying true to the formula and the concept.

I don't really call the use of a third person view 'innovative' either...
Certainly isnt but the game itself would have to receive some modifications on its core (like targeting AOE spells, teleport and attacks) to be able to support a third person view.

It seems like a little thing to just add third person view but its a big change to the whole gameplay and I just cant see the game being able to have both cameras because the way how you control a character in third person view is diferent from how you control it from an isometric view. So its either isometric or third person.

TheNamelessOne

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, look at StarCraft 2. Yes there's some tweaks and numerous differences, but at its very core, it's still StarCraft with better graphics, and it took them nearly 10 years before they even said a word about StarCraft 2.
Read that and understand it. - I think it's a really good point and worth baring in mind on this forum.

Get ready to wait guys.