Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Will Clans Be Vital on diablo3?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Peyton, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Peyton

Peyton IncGamers Member

Will Clans Be Vital on diablo3?

Yes:yes:
    No:crazyeyes:

2. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

Re: Will Clans Be Vital on diablo3?

Nah, since you can solo the game there will be no need for clans although with bnet 2.0 specifically supporting them I think they will be more widespread then in d2.

3. Drytchnath

Drytchnath IncGamers Member

Depends on bnet2.0. If they get rid of chat rooms/channels then they'll be needed in order to easily chat with your friends online.

If Blizzard learns from their mistakes with SC2 and includes chat channels, user made or official, then clans won't be as vital.

4. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

I dont feel clans will be vital in D3 as their will be many people if you cant go it alone. A better question would be should bnet 2 support clan for D3, personalty I think it be nice to have a little clan support for the game. Things such as a personalized channel with a clan set welcome msg and a tag under your name. I think it just add more to for a player in that is more of a fun feather.

5. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Jay keeps going on about how much he wants people to meet up with others doing the same quest. So, you won't really need clans since help in any task will be a click away.

6. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

They will not be vital as the game can be played alone. As mentioned by Stillman, they apparently want to include some kind of automatic system to play with other people that are your level. So you do not need to be organized to play the game as you need it in a MMO game.

Although, you can make clans without any support for those inside BNet. A dedicated forum, TS or Mumble server... and you have your own communication system for your clan. No need to have something inside the game.

However, I think it would be nice to have clan support in BNet. A friend list is a useful tool to find friends but a clan system is more convenient as it automatically offers dedicated channel... for the people of the clan. Especially usefull for people who likes to play with people they know and trust. Even if some of the grieving of public parties will be gone with separate loots, you will still find unpleasant players in public parties :whistling:

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

With a maximum of four people in a single game a clan doesn't seem necessary.

8. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

With the way the social structure of bnet2 is currently set up, my answer would be yes.

And this is why. Very well said, Malaterre.

9. Nirvana1994

Nirvana1994 IncGamers Member

I think a closely knit group of friends to form a clan would be the best idea, especially if they include some kind of shared stash (Like WoW guild vault, oh noeZ!11!) then it should be a great experience, toss in the items you don't want and let some of your friends use them while leveling, etc

Oh ya.. first post in years, wish I could change my screen name ;)

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

vital? no they would be killing off a huge customer base if that was the case. helpful? yes

11. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

Vital has two meanings that are both applicable here.

Will clans be necessary? I hope not.

Will clans be active and vibrant? Hopefully they will.

12. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Guild politics was what ruined WoW for me.

And yes, you can start off with a close-knit group of friends... but then they start bringing in THEIR friends... and so on...

So yeah, I can't see clans doing anything for me that a friends list and a chat channel doesn't do. The great thing about a chat channel being that it's not exclusive... so you're not forced into the same channel with not just your friends but all their friends as well ;)

This is, of course, assuming that they IMPLEMENT chat channels, as they've promised to.

I have nothing against a clan feature for those who want it, though :)

13. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

Hey man I agree big guild kill thing the bring unneeded drama to the game, but if you keep it small with close friends it can work. The idea of the dedicated chat and in-game tag stuff I posted are little ides that will make D3 more fun IMO. A shared clan stash would be cool too, but u can use TS of Vent to chat :)

14. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

I don't think you should condemn clans in diablo 3 because you were in a guild full of loot whores and drama queens. There is no raiding or tier gear in Diablo.
    I've been running with a core group of players since the kali day and we had a guild in WoW. Went strong from the beginning of the game until I quit, and they're still strong today. We meet irl once a year and all that good stuff.

Choose your friends better.

I also wouldn't assume that clan features are limited to chat channels.

15. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

I didn't condemn clans in Diablo 3. Did you read the last line of my post?

Just saying I wouldn't use it, and why. Believe it or not, there are a few people on the internet who are not in principle opposed to any feature they don't personally adore ;)

By the way, I was in more than one guild in WoW, and I had plenty of chance to observe the behavior of many guilds I wasn't in. Yes, there was a small handful that were not dysfunctional in one way or another. That wasn't the case with the vast majority, though, at least among guilds who took endgame content seriously.

However, I had a GREAT community of friends, many of whom I am still in touch with on a daily basis today... via... a chat channel. Various subsets of us were co-guilded at different times, or not. We had different ages and genders and timezones and schedules and playstyles. We were a pretty diverse bunch who got along really well. Folks were free to pursue their gameplay goals via guilds if that was what they wanted, without having availability and performance pressures on their primary friendships in the game. And as friends we could group up and help each other out and share items, mats and so on, informally; we didn't feel the need of a guild bank, we weren't a cult so we hardly needed a tabard, and we CERTAINLY didn't need a leader or hierarchy.

The only important thing that distinguishes this approach from a "clan" or "guild", as typically implemented, is exclusivity. You can only belong to one clan (at least, with each character; but given the way Bnet is going, I wouldn't be surprised if clans wind up linked to accounts). But human beings, in general, are used to belonging to a variety of different, semi-overlapping social structures. I think that's healthy.

Just saying, there's more than one way to foster friendships in a multiplayer game :) And what I'm really for is having a diversity of structures available so everybody can find what's right for them.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010