Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Will Blizzcon make or break Diablo 3 ?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by ThomasJ, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ThomasJ

ThomasJ IncGamers Member

Will Blizzcon make or break Diablo 3 ?

If you are not impressed at Blizzcon will you still consider buying Diablo 3 ? I want the game to succeed like most of us do but there is that chance the showing at Blizzcon will not be that impressive. Games like Torchlight 2 and Dungeon Siege 3 could turn to be more appealing for arpg fans if Blizzard has just an ok showing.

2. FriskyDingo

FriskyDingo IncGamers Member

Re: Will Blizzcon make or break Diablo 3 ?

I havnt not been impressed with Diablo at Blizzcon yet, they also say this is going to be the best one ever in regards to Diablo so...

And Torchlight sucked so I'm definately staying away from number two.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

torchlight has a ways to go to be considered good for me. the archer and fighter class were both boring as hell and the mage had far too few spells. DS3 has the problem of being called Dungeon siege. the first 2 were horrible experiences for me as both ended in game crippling bugs. i am sure i will try DS3 but i have yet to even reach the half way point in a DS game. i also like the solo adventurer more than group in ARPG

all that being said i think D3 needs a good showing at blizzcon. there has been no "wow" (not the game) factor really with it aside from being called diablo. there are some things that look fun and some i am unsure about. the 5th class is probably where they will win me over and getting more indepth with the skills. also believe it or not i am into the story that is a big silling point to me also

then again none of that really matters cause i am already gonna buy it. same with DS3 and TL2 and any other would be ARPG game just cause of what they are lol

4. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Blizzcon will not make Diablo 3 nor break it for me.

As far as Dungeon Siege 3 goes, we don't know anything about Dungeon Siege 3 besides the fact that the graphics look like another UT3 engine game.

For TorchLight 2, I too wasn't to impressed with Torchlight. The skills are kind of boring like Apoc said. The story is weak at best. The voice acting was...meh. The level design repetitive. The gameplay gets stale fast. Limited weapon and armor designs. The music rested to strongly on the foundation that diablo's music made.
    And as far as the Dev team are concerned the #1 thing missing in TL1 was multiplayer. Something I didn't mind so much.
    All that said, TL2 can do nothing but improve, giving hope for all that really wanted to like Torchlight and for those that liked TL1 only make it better.

5. Nekora

Nekora IncGamers Member

I really wasn't impressed by Torchlight. I don't think the sequel it will get a buy from me even if D3 turns out bad by some weird disaster.

As for DS3...I never liked DS either. It just doesn't feel like an action-RPG anymore with the multiple characters running around. I also HATE the 3-pronged skill-based system were usage promotes skillups. It's hardly even customization, to my mind.

Regardless, for D3 at Blizzcon...we'll just have to see. I can't say anything until I see it.

6. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

I think if torchlight 2 or DS3 is going to have a chance at doing anything they need to be out well before Diablo 3. There's no way either will compare, but they could make bank just by giving us something to play before D3 gets here lol.

7. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

This I think is true. If D3 is anywhere near as good as D2, all the other ARPGs need to come out before it. If they don't you might as well write them off as a loss (monetary wise)

8. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

My decision was made in summer of '08.

9. Sylvanite

Sylvanite IncGamers Member

If Diablo 3 is half as good for this day and age as Diablo 2 was for its day and age, not only will I buy it, I will prolly play it for a long time. I do think that any game that wants to compete in the same niche needs to come out first, because D3 will most likely take over my game playing time.

I do think that there is a big market in the next year or so before D3 comes out. ARPGs that are really fun to play for long periods of time are hard to come by at this point. I'm still playing Borderlands, I just went back and tried Torchlight for a second time (still only made it like 75% of the game before losing interest....so many good things about the game, but its just not captivating in the long run), I'm playing through Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 on the hardest difficulty (fun to do every now and then and I was curious to see how the idea of "health orbs" works in that game and think about it in terms of D3), and will buy and play just about any ARPG that comes out and is supposed to be good.

Anyhow, can't wait for Blizzcon, but in no way is it make or break. I'm with Sass, I was sold on this game before it was even announced.

10. ThomasJ

ThomasJ IncGamers Member

I think I am looking for that "Hell Yeah this is awesome!" factor still. I am thinking Blizzard will come though for us but I guess some of us still need to have that reassurance. Just because it will have Blizzard's name on the box doesn't automatically mean I'm buying it.

11. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

It might make or break Diablo 3 for some people who are sort of on the fence based on incomplete information about features they may or may not like based on implementation and balancing.

Those who will secretly buy the game in shame no matter how much they disagree with the changes may not apply to the above criteria.

So.... yeah. Blizzcon won't make or break Diablo 3. It will warm up or alienate certain portions of the fanbase and keep others indifferent. As all other sorts of information up to this point have. Kinda hard to answer this question directly.

12. DWS

DWS IncGamers Member

Why would it at all?

Most people who buy D3 are not actively following the game right now and certainly aren't scanning blizzcon for info.

13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

thats what i was trying to get at, i think several people here need that still. it might just really be hard to live up to the name diablo at this point

14. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Tbh, I stopped caring about D3 information a long way back.
    The infinite stream of nothings being discussed without end has completely spoiled my appetite so to speak.

I know myself and I'll buy the game at release, but until then I can't be bothered with it, at all...

15. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Torchlight 2

Is it me or does TL2 look like a forward forward forward pre-teen version of a D3 gameplay video?

16. AxeX

AxeX IncGamers Member

Unless Blizzard willingly goes out of their way to ruin the entire game and then releases it, I'll probably buy it no matter what. If not because its an awesome game, then because I... just need a new game to play!

I couldn't care less about torchlight.

I was very interested in DS3. I've played the heck out of DS2 and its expansion and loved it so much (hell I wish some things in DS2 were in D2). I may play DS3, but without seeing everything I can't say for sure. Also the fact that its 150 years AFTER the story of DS2 is kinda really offputting, because that means DS3 will hardly have any story relation to DS2, which SUCKS.

17. engrsd

engrsd IncGamers Member

I don't think one person will NOT buy this game because of Blizzcon.

I believe it can only be a positive experience for the dev team.

Most people that are interested in this game are going to buy it, regardless of Blizzcon.

18. Madmaxio

Madmaxio IncGamers Member

are u serious or just trolling lol? Even without blizzcon torchlight or DS can never ever compare to D3 in terms of popularity

19. Grimbrow

Grimbrow IncGamers Member

My desire to buy and play Diablo III isn't affected by any of the Blizzcon reveals or internet discussions.
    Pre-release fan chatter has never factored into my anticipation for any of the Diablo games.
    There was none, of which I was aware, prior to the release of Diablo back in '96. All I had to go on, personally, was the article I read about it in PC Gamer magazine in September of that year.
    And I wasn't much of a forum-dweller by the time that Diablo II came around. I didn't even have the opportunity to see it until after LoD was on the shelves, so pre- and post-release internet buzz still wasn't a source of info for me.
    My first home video game was Pong, and I graduated from that to the Atari 2600. Back then, there were no regular pre-release glimpses into game development, or the massive discussion/debate/indignation over the meaning of every little tidbit of info. You had the release statement, and then you just had to wait; your own imagination being the fuel feeding your anticipation.
    Having been raised in that era, I don't need no stinking internets or convention reveals to inform my decisions.
    My own counsel do I keep, and it has served me well so far.

20. iGyman

iGyman IncGamers Member

Good point.

For me the Hell Yeah this is awesome ! factor was when I first saw the boss / execute thing in that first coop video released -- the one where the boss bites the head of a player... what a cool way to die ( in game :p )