Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Will a Frozen Arrow build work?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Kidd, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Kidd

Kidd IncGamers Member

Will a Frozen Arrow build work?

I started playing Diablo 2 with my bf again, and I've never created anything aside from Strafe-a-zons before, so I sadly couldn't help him with this build he was thinking about. I've checked around the guides topic, but a lot of them are dated back at 1.09 which sadly means they're more than outdated, and I couldn't find answers to the questions I wanna ask about. He wants to create a bowazon using the Cold skills. So... my questions are these:

1. Cold Arrow transforms physical damage into elemental damage, apparantly. Does this mean we aren't getting any physical damage at all, relying solely on the cold damage?

2. Do we have any physical damage going through Frozen Arrow? In other words, can we mana leech through it?

3. Most importantly; Will this build work through the whole game or will the damage simply not be capable of keeping up?

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Yes, you can make a build that focuses on Freezing Arrow. You can leech off it, but not much since most of the damage is cold and not physical. It's perfectly viable from Act 1 Normal all the way to Act 5 Hell.

3. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

There's a guide for FA (Freezing Arrow) zon: Freyas' FA Guide
    You should check the sticky Amazon Build Guides and Other Useful Information, not the out-dated Stragety Compendium.
    1. If you Cold Arrow, the 1st part of cold dmg is from your phy dmg (a porton of phy dmg is converted to cold dmg, thus you do less phy dmg. however, you still output phy dmg and keep leeching), and the 2nd part is the extra cold dmg added by the skill itself.
    2. Yes, the phy dmg is the same amount as normal attack (nothing is converted) and we leech through it. But the splash cold dmg (the cold dmg in skill description) is pure elemental, thus no leech from splash.
    3. Well, the cold dmg is pathetic compared to even a so-so Sorceress (they have Cold Mastery while we don't)... And FA zon is less powerful than CS/Strafe zon vs Bosses... But we play for fun, so play whatever we like.
    1) Skill points are tight. You need at least 41 skill points in cold tree (ignore Ice Arrow, 0.5 sec longer freezing in Hell doesn't worth additional 19 skill pts). You can spend another 40 in fire tree (dmg pathetic Immolation Arrow has a huge 1 sec cooldown though, that's why no builds have centered around it --- another Blizz-overkill...), or focus more in multi/strafe or passive skills.
    2) Cold dmg are stacked by splash: shoot a pack, and the arrow pierces through and hit several targets, then each impact will deliver splash cold dmg to all nearby targets.
    The faster you shoot, the more cold dmg you do.
    3) You definitely need a lot of +Bow Skills to bump up the cold dmg. i.e. one needs level 45+ FA & 20 hard pts in Cold Arrow to archieve 3000+ cold dmg for FA which consumes 31 mana per shoot.
    If you have 9% mana leech, or 3% in hell, your bow must do 31/0.03=1034 phy dmg in single hit (not several hits via piercing). If the emeny have phy resistance, you need more phy dmg. So I suggest you get a good fast bow with 1500+ phy dmg.
    With a lot of +Bow Skill, you only need 1 point in multi/strafe/fire tree, and get better piercing/valkie.

4. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Now I wander something about those synergies. What whit cold duration from char and/or rings and weapon. Does those get the same amount of synergy, not don't they get any at all.
    i.e. + 10 from charm becomes +20 when you put 20 points in ice arrow.

Same with normal damage. Will that get the synergy from cold arrow?

P.S. There's no skill frozen Arrow, why does everyone keeps calling it that way?

5. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

Synergies are only employed in skills themselves, they're used to calculate the raw power of skills, so it has nothing to do with mods on equipments.
    i.e. in normal difficult, with 10 snowy small charms (1 sec cold length each), and max Ice Arrow, FA a monster and it freezes for 14 sec, not 24 sec.
    I'm pretty sure +cold dmg from equipments will not benefit from FA's Cold Arrow synergy.
    You can read this guide: Synergies and Masteries Explained
    P.S. because many of us don't have English as their native language...well, FA is somewhat under-powered, so only a few people use it, thus it is perserved/frozen in their ice box and never taken out?

6. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

What are you guys talking about saying frozen arrow is underpowered? My zon with wf and act 1 faith merc takes down non cold immune monsters faster with frozen arrow than with multi shot or strafe, and I don'te even have the cold arrow synergy maxed. If I switch to my 'ice' runeword bow, it really delivers.

Back to OP: (I agree with Fuzzier, so some of this is a repeat)

1. If you are going cold zon, you would use frozen arrow mostly. Cold arrow is good against a single boss (once that is all you have left) because of the reduced mana cost.

2. Frozen arrow gets just as much physical damage as normal attack, the cold damage is stacked on. There is also a huge ar increase in FA. The reason FA is so good is the 3.3 yard radius splash damage. Every monster within 3.3 yards gets the full amount of cold damage. With razortail and 100% pierce, it will splash on the next monster, and the next, etc. This is how the damage adds up so quickly. Definitely go for razortail, don't listen to the other guy when he says pierce isn't good.

3. This build will work through the whole game. Remember strafe is still effective with only 5 points in it, so is multishot. You are allowed to strafe and multi even though you are a FA zon. Strafe is good for mana leech and against cold immunes.

All depends on your gear. If you have decent gear, you don't need a lvl 45 frozen arrow to kill. But I would imagine that would own, my fa is only at 26 and it can take out non-cold-immune boss packs as fast as a LF zon.

7. DEA

DEA IncGamers Member

i love frost maidens
    back in 09 i used to stack a whole bunch of prefix/suffix cold charms in my inventory
    just to stand there and watch them thaw ^ ^