Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

wiki coming soon/help wanted?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback, Suggestions & Support' started by Flux, May 10, 2008.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

wiki coming soon/help wanted?

I've got a huge list of pages and features to do for the wiki, but here's a quick recap so you'll know what's coming soon. Or what you might want to help out with.

Superunique pages. One for every SU in the game. The existing SU page will remain, but there will be specific stats for every SU, not just the act bosses and uber bosses we've now got listed.

Levels. There will be pages for every level in the game, listing ilvl, mlvl, monster types found there, golden chests, superuniques, quests, waypoint, number of random bosses found per diff/level, etc.

Trivia page. I want to list the Guinness book of world records of D2 for all types of things. Highest hit points on a monster, highest on a character, highest resistances possible on chars/monsters, most MF, most merc damage, highest possible poison damage/duration, etc, etc. All with the dream equip set ups to make them possible. I'll be looking for help from stat forum types for this one.

Character pages. They're very superficial and quick now. Ideally they should have a lot more info, with some of the game lore, images, and basic info on the various builds. "Zealots are paladins who use primarily the zeal skill, usually with fanaticism. they like fast attack weapons to get to 4frames, etc." that kind of stuff.

Weapon stats. more comparative stuff and helpful references. damage min/max/avg for the most popular 1h, 2h, ranged, etc weapon types, in tables for easy comparison. break points for all weapon types, reqs and stats, etc. This type of info exists and is often in forum threads, but it needs to be organized and collated into one place. hence the wiki.

Technical info. tons of guides and useful pages of info are in the forums, but need to be organized into the wiki. item generation, general tech info, all the basic noobie info, and tons more. Again, almost all of this already exists thanks to the thousands of regulars in the d2 community; it just needs to be organized into the wiki for convenient reference.

tons more pages and updates to pages; treasure classes, shrines, maps, a page with patch readmes and important changes per each version of the game, basic info on bnet, dueling strategy/etiquette, mercs, etc. If you can think of it, odds are someone else would want to read about it, so we'll have a wiki page about it sooner or later.

Things that will not be in the wiki are large strategy guides. the wiki is encyclopedia; some basic strategy advice is fine, and point/counter point on key issues is great, but just basic strategy info or overview, with links to actual strat articles in the strategy compendium (which is getting a tech overhaul as well).

Anything you guys can think of that you want in the wiki that's not there now, or listed coming soon?

2. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

Re: wiki coming soon/help wanted?

How much of a story/background orientation were you intending to have for the wiki? There is a fair amount of information on the Diablo world itself out there in general, though most of what I've seen on the wiki looks pretty gameplay-oriented, such as the item generation rules and Mephisto's entry. What I did see in terms of world description was mostly straight from the manual (ex. the Western Kingdoms and Kehjistan pages.) Is this more or less the story depth intended, or would more user-generated entries be ideal? Thanks.

3. Psyrus

Psyrus IncGamers Member

I began working on these a few days ago. So far, I'm up to the Stony Field. Incidentally, I left out the Rogue Encampment, but I'll get to that soon enough unless somebody beats me to that.

Each article has a brief description of the area, a few thumbnails, and a table containing information regarding most of what Flux suggested such as what monsters spawn, how many different variants can be found, etc. I'm missing ilvl stats; I'm not sure how to figure those out unless it's the same as mlvls/alvls. Some of the other info may need some accuracy-checking. In either case, feel free to change something I may have gotten wrong or whatever.

Also, if somebody would like to begin working on another act, go for it.

4. Flux

Flux Administrator

We want the wiki to cover everything Diablo related, and that definitely includes the plot, both as seen in the games/manuals, and in the extended canon stuff like novels/manga/comics/games/etc.

The starting priority with the wiki was to get all the game info up to date, since our site info was outdated, and since there was so much stuff not covered or outdated in the AS. That's still an ongoing topic and will be for months yet, since I think more readers are interested in the game details than the story stuff, but long term we absolutely want to have all the story, world lore, etc. That stuff is somewhat timeless, in that it'll all transfer nicely over to the future (soon? someday?) D3 wiki, too.

There's a ton to integrate into that; most players know something about the story and mythology and cosmology as presented in the games, but few have even read the stories in the game manuals, much less any of the novels. If anyone has read the novels and wants to get involved; posting some outlines, plot points, background history, character notes, etc, would be quite welcome.

The wiki need pages on the general cosmology, a timeline, a history of the sin war and other key events, and then more detailed stuff like character pages (for the prime evils, lesser evils, char classes, horadrim, etc), outlines of the various diablo books, etc. I think that story stuff would be best served on separate pages than the current game-info ones; people who want game stats for Meph don't want to have to wade through a long bio info on him, and vice versa. Easy enough to put a quick link atop such pages "for game stats on meph, click here." type thing.

I'm not sure how best to organize the story coverage. that might evolve out of the presentation as it unfolds over time. probably an uber category:story on everything, and then subcats for oh... demons, angels, humans, key historical events, sin war, horadrim, etc. Someone who's read all the novels could formulate that better than me, who hasn't read any since the first couple.