Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wiff, Wiff, Wiff, Wiff, Hit, etc. ??

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Cambios, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Cambios

Cambios IncGamers Member

Wiff, Wiff, Wiff, Wiff, Hit, etc. ??

I am a level 51 assassin (phoenix/tiger + dragon tail mainly) with excellent gear currently in Nightmare hell.

I seem to whiff a LOT. I would imagine that I miss at least 50-60% of my swings.

I believe I have max attack speed because I have two items with +40% attack speed and one with +30% attack speed and I have 8 or 9 in burst of speed (counting items).

Is it possible to have attack speed so high that the game just draws a lot of random whiff animations to fill space? Or is there a point where attack speed caps out and then going over doesn't hurt you?

Thanks!

2. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

What in godsname is a whiff animation?

3. lesofprimus

lesofprimus IncGamers Member

Its that animation when, after ur assassin farts, she uses her offhand claw to whiffle the smell away.....

4. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

Oh like that.

To the original poster.
    Give your sin some decent food and she won't fart. Then she won't whiff anymore. :D

5. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

In nightmare hell? o_O

If you're in hell i can see the problem, you just miss a lot because your level is too low.

PS- don't be so lame, whiff is missing. You know, the sound you hear when you're slicing in the air.

6. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

I think Nightmare hell means Nightmare Act4.

If you're in NM Act4, i can see you getting a 60-75% chance to hit at your level, but 51% seems really low...how many points do you have in CM, PS, TS, DTail, and how much AR do you have?

7. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

No missing = not hitting. Whiff doesn't say anything to me.

8. Cambios

Cambios IncGamers Member

Yeah, sorry. I'm just getting back into playing after a hiatus of 6-12 months so I have to get back into using proper lingo. :)

Current Level: 51

Here are my skills counting bonuses from + items:

Claw Mastery: 7
    Tiger Strike: 12
    Phoenix Strike: 12
    Dragon Tail: 10

I have a Bartuc's in my main hand and with that my attack ratings are:

Normal: 2301
    Tiger Strike: 3309
    Phoenix Strike: 3309
    Dragon Tail: 3014
    Pre-Gear stats:

Unmodified Strength: 130
    Unmodified Dexterity: 85
    Unmodified Vitality: 120
    Unmodified Energy: 25

My big concern really is if I have too many bonus to attack speed items (I have at least 3 if I recall, two +40% and one +30% I believe) so that when burst of speed gets added my attack speed is so high that the game just renders a bunch of "miss" animations/sound effects to fill the space.

From reading the assassin faqs here, there was something discussed called a NextDelay. If I understood it correctly, that was mainly for damage from traps and other effects, but I was worried that perhaps there was something similar for when someone attacks really fast (and it just makes you miss a lot to fill space between when it can actually handle an attack). Now, this would be weird since ZEAL works fine but I guess I am paranoid and want to make sure that there is no downside to having very high +attack speed bonuses from items along with a good burst of speed skill.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, and I love your FAQ Naliworld :).

9. thc-shadow

thc-shadow IncGamers Member

dude, bump your dex...3k ar isnt so good, im lvl 53 and have around 7k...

10. Cambios

Cambios IncGamers Member

Cool. So that's my problem then, eh?

I had read a number of guides and they seemed to all say pump STR and VIT and only dex when needed for items.

I'm out of stat points so I'll need to level up a bit.

To answer the other issue: should I not worry at all about any kind of secret penalty if your attack speed gets too high? Is that pure paranoia? If I had 7 +40% attack speed items on (which I don't) and had a lvl 20 burst of speed, would I still be fine? (just thinking of an extreme case to make the point).

What else can I do to get my attack rating up? I guess I need some rings or charms that boost attack rating then, eh?

11. FrolfFreak

FrolfFreak IncGamers Member

Some quick fixes for AR:

1. Demon Limb weapon: has lvl 23-ish Enchant, one cast and you're set for AR for a good 11 minutes or so.

2. Angelic Raiment set amulet + 1 or 2 of the rings: Huge boost to AR, +1 All skills, and some other mods

3. Magic/rare helms with the Visionary prefix or Magic/rare weapons with the Fool's prefix: Both of these prefixes add AR based on your character level. At lvl 51 you'll be getting an excellent boost.

Some other possibilities include charms, gear with -% Target Defense, or anything with Ignore Target Defense. This last one only works on normal enemies tho; does not work on champions or bosses. Hope this helps.

-FF

12. thc-shadow

yeah, i read a few guides stating nothing for dex...poop on them!

every lvl; 2str, 1dex, 2vita... after my str/dex were at 125/100, i started doing this...pretty effective for most all melee cha

also, ravenfrost are cheap (paid hel rune) and boost really good amounts

13. thc-shadow

1 more thing, your paranoid! :)

1 more...'malice' (ith+el+eth) will solve ANY problem vs. bosses/tough single critters

14. Cambios

Cambios IncGamers Member

hehehehe.

Thanks. That was a big thing I was worried about. I would really be bummed if there was some bug or design choice that made it so if you had tons of attack speed boosts you got penalized and ended up with "filler" miss swings.

I really appreciate the suggestions for getting my AR up. What sort of AR ranges should I be hitting in these approximate levels:

Level 50:
    Level 55:
    Level 60:
    Level 65:
    Level 70:
    Level 80:
    Level 90:

15. thc-shadow

my theory is:
    look at your % to hit, if it drops below ~80%, bost your dex to the approprite amount

i try for 85%

16. Cambios

Cambios IncGamers Member

That is based on the last foe you killed right?

If so, when doing that I need to make sure I check it after killing something hard, eh?

17. thc-shadow

exactly, like listers minions (if your that far), any tough melee critters like venom lords, their ar will give you a better basis then like a shaman

actually, your best bet is to cow (highest diff possible for ya), since you can join anytime now

even if you cant handle them, kick a few and check it.
    iirc they have like the 3rd highest ar besides bosses

another thing is, dex is more then just %hit, its block, and %avoid... raising dex raises your base figures, which means your bonuses,skills,etc benifit MUCH more..

150 dex + angelics/dtail/dtalon (anything really) will boost a crapload more then say 100 dex, kinda like skill synergies:
    (syn=bonus, skill=base dex)
    ie: lvl20 syn + lvl1 skill = garbage
    but: lvl20 skill + lvl1 syn = benefitial

a bonus of 3billion% is nothing if your base is 1

18. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Ah, there's the problem IMO. At this point, you should have 2 fully maxed skills(so you'd end up with 2 strong skills with a lot of AR), not 10 in 4 skills(that would leave you with 4 weak skills with low AR).

There is no hidden 'NextDelay' for attacks that aren't in the list. The game already has set-in-stone speed caps in place that prevents the problem you decribed from occuring.

Hate to play the devil's advocate here, but I suggest keeping with the STR and DEX values you have now. Assuming you are C/C, the +block with higher DEX means nothing to you, as WB is unaffected by DEX values. While you will gain some AR by putting points in DEX from here on, you're eventually going to max out the four skills you have 10 points in, which would eliminate the AR problem. However, those extra points in DEX can't be relocated, so you're missing out on a whole load of life(which you'll dearly need in Hell) in return for extra AR you won't need(at higher levels). So, basically, what I suggest is to tough it out now(with a lower AR, which can be made up with Demon Limb's Enchant bonus and the Angelic partial set bonus. Except, once you can enough AR through skills, you can take off these items with no disadvantage) so as to ensure your build will have enough life in Hell.

Also, look at it in terms of numbers: 1 DEX = 4 AR, and 1 VIT = 3 Life. Sure, you get 1 more AR per point, but the main difference here is that it's a lot easier to make up for AR deficiences than life deficiencies(without overly compromising equipment). Also, what's the use of all that AR if you're going to get killed in 5 seconds?

You do gain extra claw damage with extra points in STR and DEX(0.75% ED with claws per point in STR or DEX. You gain more Kick damage from points in STR rather than DEX), but this is of no relevance to a TS/DTail/PS build, as your damage should be coming from Kicks or skills, not claw damage. It's not a bad idea to put a few more points in STR to boost Kick damage a little(if you can afford the lesser HP), but stay away from putting them in DEX, as you gain a lot more Kick damage from points in STR than DEX.