Wierd Occurances Questions

Lord_Jaroh

Diabloii.Net Member
Wierd Occurances Questions

Hey all. I'm not really new to the forums, mainly a long time lurker, but I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find answers for, and I'm seeing if anyone else knows anything that could help me out.

A friend of mine has the game, fully patched and everything, and there are a couple of wierd glitches with it. The first one is that the entire background is black, ie. There is no background. Objects still show up, like chests, walls, and rocks that contain items, monsters, etc, but background items, and such, are not showing up at all. Makes it very hard to do the Durial's Tomb quest in Act 2 when you can't see the symbols to know where to go... :)

I have found no answers to figure out why. The video drivers are current, but nothing else seems to fix it at all. No other games experience any problems at all, just Diablo II.

The second question is far more annoying, and just started recently. If his character isn't moving (being stationary on the map), or else in the town, his game starts "pinging" a high pitched erratic sound in the background. Sometimes it sticks around, other times it goes away after going back into battle. Basically it makes it so you can't have any sound running on the game, in order to play it (the sound is that loud...)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be? Please help if you can, as he is getting pretty irritated with the game now...

Thanks in advance

Jaroh
 

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
Your friend is probably using 3D accelerated mode in the game. That is the usual cause of the problem you're referring to. Also the latest video drivers & Diablo 2 patch as well ofc. The solution is to turn 3D mode off in D2 video setup.

What sound card are u using? Maybe if you lower "Sound hardware acceleration" (Control panel -> Sounds-> Volume tab -> Advanced -> Performance tab) to something lower than "full" will fix the issue.
 

Lord_Jaroh

Diabloii.Net Member
Leohappy said:
Your friend is probably using 3D accelerated mode in the game. That is the usual cause of the problem you're referring to. Also the latest video drivers & Diablo 2 patch as well ofc. The solution is to turn 3D mode off in D2 video setup.

What sound card are u using? Maybe if you lower "Sound hardware acceleration" (Control panel -> Sounds-> Volume tab -> Advanced -> Performance tab) to something lower than "full" will fix the issue.
Actually, both those were tried. For the Video, there was no 3D Accelerated mode on to begin with. The funny thing was, if you turned on the Perspective mode, all the walls and trees disappear as well. It's very odd.

The sound, tried the lowering of the Sound hardware accel...didn't work either. It's a very odd thing. He may have to reinstall the game, I'm thinking, after completely removing it, and updating all drivers, but we were trying to avoid that first.

Thanks for the advice though. Hopefully somebody else has some idea. I take it no one has experienced this before?
 

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
Just to clarify, there's a program called "Video test" in Diablo 2 start menu folder. You can enable/disable ingame 3d acceleration there and nowhere else!
 

Lord_Jaroh

Diabloii.Net Member
Leohappy said:
Just to clarify, there's a program called "Video test" in Diablo 2 start menu folder. You can enable/disable ingame 3d acceleration there and nowhere else!
Gotcha! Well, I'll have him try that, and see if it works, if nothing else...

As for the sound...I'm lost. It makes no sense to me.
 

Oscuro

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Lord_Jaroh said:
Actually, both those were tried. For the Video, there was no 3D Accelerated mode on to begin with. The funny thing was, if you turned on the Perspective mode, all the walls and trees disappear as well. It's very odd.
The fact that you could turn perspective mode on and off indicates that not only is 3d mode availabe, but you're using it currently (perspective is not available in 2d mode).
 
Top