Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Widowmaker on switch vs hammerdins - what to socket?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by thing, Mar 18, 2005.

?

Which of these lightning chars is the most fun?

1. Lightning Sorc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lightning Javazon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lightning Trapper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. thing

thing IncGamers Member

Widowmaker on switch vs hammerdins - what to socket?

I Can't decide whether to um it or shael it. Um will bring me to a total of 65% open wounds, but I was leaning more towards shael since I have no other sources of ias. Also considering a nef for the knockback/stun effect. Some opinions plz.

2. AdunaCCDanimoth

AdunaCCDanimoth IncGamers Member

1.) While the average Barb will have a decent amount of Dex for Blocking, you simply cannot do enough damage as a Zon can. Backing against OW to deal damage will simply not be enough to use Widowmaker over any amount of time effectively.

2.) Most Hammerdins worth their salt will have Enigma. Most also will teleport right next to you and lay down a hammer field. Since a Barb does NOT have any of a Zons Dodging skills, there is absolutely nothing you can do if caught with Widowmaker out on switch and a Hammerdin right in your face.

3. thing

thing IncGamers Member

The widow isn't there to kill the hammerdin outright. It is to force the hammerdin to start playing offensively or start getting drained by open wounds. In that case the hammerdin will usually try to tele right on top of the barb and getting wasted by a ww in the process.

I thought this was a widely known strat.

4. MightyTitans

MightyTitans IncGamers Member

he would just tele-hammer you b4 you are able to switch and kill you..

I can kill most hammerdins in pubbys that just tele hammer by short wwing southwest when they tele ontop of me.

Leap is also useful when they don't tele directly on top but in your vicinity.

Also when they try to create a maze of hammer field by running around shift hammering, whenever they're moving you can trade hits with them with your tele ww...

5. Inuyasha

Inuyasha IncGamers Member

No, switches are incredibly fast if you actually use them.

The point of widowmaker is to switch, fire one shot, switch back and be ready.

With changing the hotkeys, this becomes a very simple feat. My switch button is spacebar.

And yes, it is a very widely known tactic, except with the people who simply refuse to admit that it works, and refuse to try it!

6. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

I say um rune it or Lo rune it.

7. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Definately Um. You're not going to shoot arrows long enough to benefit from the ias, just one quick shot before you switch back to be ready. The higher the chance of ow, the better, thats the only real dmg those arrows will probably do :)

HoD

8. luis19

luis19 IncGamers Member

UM or shael are the only viable options.

however i shael'ed mine for one reason.

without it, shooting would be extremely slow, meaning im stuck in the animation longer (its like 12+ frames i think) while the hammerdin casts at 9. Leaves you too vulnerable IMO and my comp is laggy even though im on cable and on a decent comp.

Also the way i play vs hammer is that I shoot even when they are right next to me (when im just outside the hammer field) to provoke them to tele on me or near enough for a ww.

VS good hammerdins I have 68% OW anyways (duress, dracs, gores), and CB, + a 1.2k dmg GA. This gets em playing offensive anyways so no need for um.

9. derekdoo

derekdoo Banned

no dont um, the penalty OW gets from range is too week, better addin somthing else

10. Gfighter88

Gfighter88 IncGamers Member

lol i have to say

well im sorry but i have to say lol. i use a conc barb that has a lvl 12 berserk (only because of skill buffs) and i have never worried about a hammerdin because all you have to do is run down to the oppisite end of the hammer that is casted for example:

hammers:-----------------> . * -
    hammerdin--------------> X-----,*
    my conc barb---------->|8| - *
    direction i run----------> /
    ----------------------------->/
    --------------------------->V

i repeat my strategy over and over and get his timing down so that the next time he teles i move down a little bit so that i can give him a wallop with a 2k-6.8k damage zerk. and i continue to attack him until he teles or dies, if he teles i wait for hammers to disapate then repeat the same process, this is with my barb that i have almost complete lvl 87 non-lad
    i have my ladder barb in progress and hes lvl 45 at the moment with crappy gear lol but when he is finished he will pwn hammerdins aswell.

but what im saying is why bother to spend possibly needed currency on that when you dont really need it?

any questions or comments? post it :D

11. luis19

luis19 IncGamers Member

its called a good tele hammerdin and a desync hammer.
    gl with that strat vs a good one.

12. Gfighter88

Gfighter88 IncGamers Member

heh

heh i didnt mean to insault anyone but ok, im just saying that i dont need a widow maker because i can kill hammerdins without it i can tank 4-6 hammers that do around
    12+K damage. and if you dont believe me then set up a game on us east and watch.

13. luis19

luis19 IncGamers Member

yes i believe you can win without using widowmaker, i do it all the time.

But you CANT win by zerking.
    You WILL die to any good hammerdin if you try zerking, that blind spot doesnt run well vs a good hammerdin, especially if they are desync.

I win without widowmaker using ww, i only use widowmaker to stop the pally from playin all defense or if it works well vs a certain playing style.

14. Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield IncGamers Member

Why do you have to make it harder then it has to be.
    Most barbs have wc weaps on switch, and i would never carry a widowmaker in my invent JUST for that.

Agianst a good hammer pala, all you have to do is anticipate when they are going to teleport on top of you, and just keep whirlwinding away. Or in that case, if you are in their view, keep whirlwinding until they make the first move.

But if you must use a widowmaker, and i do understand what your talking about, i would Um it, I dont know exact damage, but as many other people before me said, its not your main damage source, your not going to have it out long enoupg for it to do a deadly strike. If knockback interupts their attack you might want to think about socketing it that, but if not, UM!

15. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

If the hammerdin knows what he's doing, he'll play defensive and try to desynch his hammers. If a hammerdin tele's just on top of a barb, i doubt he's any good :) If he plays defensive, with hammer fields and desynch, you got to have something to force him to move, and whats better then some hoaming missiles !

HoD