Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

widowmaker bow pally

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Siphon, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Siphon

Siphon IncGamers Member

widowmaker bow pally

I've recently acquired a widowmaker (bow, gives guided arrow) and I've been thinking of making a bow character. What in your opinion is the best bow character? I've heard bow pallys, bow sorcs, and bow assassins.

2. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

Well I think Bow Paladins are great builds. However you can have Druid Rangers as well (who use Summons). I assume Bow Sorceress' utilise Enchant and Fire Mastery to increase damage.

I think, perhaps one of the best builds is the Storm Ranger (can be found in this board's build thread).

It utilises Holy Shock and Holy Freeze.

20 Holy Shock
    20 Holy Freeze
    20 Resist Lightning
    20 Resist Cold
    20 Salvation

The Widowmaker bow is the ideal end weapon for Ignore Target Defense and Guided Arrow. You will require some AR for bosses.

I would advise you looking into the Guide's thread, and then return here with any more questions!

3. JohnDigweed

JohnDigweed IncGamers Member

Here are some ideas

Well, the builds I've thought of are:

Pally:

(1) Physical dmg attacker with max fana or conc, depending on whether your "backup" skill is going to be zeal/smite or charge/hammers .. a pretty viable build because it just adds some dex pts or charms to a cookie cutter pally build to use bow.

(2) An elemental attacker with max salvation, max res lit, mas res fire, using a dragon armor and dream helm, and maxed conviction as a main aura. Another option would be to actually equip holy shock as an aura (maxing res lit and salv) and use also max foh.

Sorc:

(1)** My favorite ** max fire mastery, lit mastery, enchant, warmth, and get a decent energy shield, using a dragon armor and dream helm, both doing more dmg from the masteries. The fire and lit dmg would be great on a guided arrow, similar to a dream zon but with masteries... pretty godly, could use dragon or dream shield and a beast or passion as a switch for melee.

Asn:

(1) max venom, max lit sentry and synergies, you can opt to wear dream helm if you want arrows to do more dmg rather than traps. or you could just go pure shadow and make a good WW sin. its really up to you, but by wearing trang gloves, bramble, dream (or a faceted shako or 3 socekt helm) and using burst of speed you can do good dmg fast. just stack all the shadow gcs you got.

Basically, any melee build can be adapted into a bow-character but some are better than others. and the sorcs can get surprisingly good with skill charms that boost the fire mastery and enchant. it also helps that the sorc can teleport while wearing a dragon whereas teh pally and asn cannot, using their armors.

Anyway, id like to hear about other peoples ideas too. you gotta love the hilarious power of aura stacking.

4. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

I made a ranger once, I was going for pvp, so I needed high dmg, I used next skills:
    20 holy shock
    20 resist lightning
    20 salvation
    I was near lvl 60 and did over 5k dmg, with a very crappy equipment, go for good equipment and maybe some offensive skillers and you will give you enemys a shock they'll never forget...unless they have a good light res and absorb or immunity.. :uhhuh:

with rest of the skills you can go for fanaticism, so u can also deal light immunes..

*priit

5. Lightning Guru

Lightning Guru IncGamers Member

Hey have u ever thought of an amazon? i heard that they major in bows

Just a hint

6. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

They also already have Guided Arrow in their skill tree, totally negating Widowmaker's best aspect.

Siphon, if you do go the bow pally route (known as a Ranger), check out Rane's Ranger Guide

7. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

Sadly the idea of the Widowmaker is to allow other classes access to using a bow.

+3 Guided Arrow

This allows any class to utilise the bow, and the Guided Arrow skill.

Would be a waste to place this bow on an Amazon.

8. Cadet

Cadet IncGamers Member

Failure. Who says pallys can't use bows?

9. PallyRanger

PallyRanger IncGamers Member

Siphon,
    Rane made a pretty sick guide to Rangers that really answers most questions folks have about them. Widowmaker is a great bow for a ranger because of the guided arrow. You only need enough dex to equip the bow because guided hits whatever you aim at. Allows you to drop more points in life(which you will need). Get some IAS equip and you could be a force to be reckoned with. Also, get your hands on a Kuko and make an elemental ranger(fire and ice or shock...whatever).

-PallyRanger

10. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

The problem with widow is its disgustingly low end physical damage. Even with 100 ds, the best I could get it to was about 4.5k max damage (fanat and 400ish dex and a whole lotta + max damage). With fortitude, I can probably push it a good deal higher, but I haven't the charms to test that yet. As far as dex goes, you need to balance it with vit, because no dex=no damage, and you do need it. I aim for 1k life on my rangers and then its all out dex. for me, thats typically 100-150 vit, although this is a wee bit high with good charms.

--welt

11. PallyRanger

PallyRanger IncGamers Member

Good point Welt.
    I was suggesting more on the lines of a elemental ranger. If you go for a phys damage ranger, I'd say Windforce is the only way to go(imagine Windy with Fortitude armor...nice!). Then, you would want to put points in dex. But if going elemental ranger with a Widowmaker....you really don't need to pump dex except for your equipment I don't think.

-PallyRanger

12. Siphon

Siphon IncGamers Member

Thanks guys for your input. I've heard some talk about enchant bow sorcs though, would it be in your opinion better to just make a pally or try out an enchant sorc? Also, I'm mainly making this character for pvp. Does that change anyone's opinion?

Just to clarify things, im non-ladder.