Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Widescreen and Resolution!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by HRP, Jul 3, 2008.

1. HRP

HRP IncGamers Member

Widescreen and Resolution!

Here's to hoping that Blizzard knows what's up and allows for widescreen support and all sorts of resolutions to fit any monitor out there.

I am looking forward to playing this on my new 24" widescreen LCD :D

2. xComatoast

xComatoast IncGamers Member

Re: Widescreen and Resolution!

As far as i can tell, the gameplay trailer shows a widescreen resolution. :coffee:

3. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

Did you forget to watch the trailer HRP?

4. Eiolon

Eiolon IncGamers Member

There's no reason why it wouldn't be in widescreen or a high resolution.

5. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

I think it's imperative that they make this game viewable in the full range of high resolutions that are available now. Even if the graphics aren't 100% cutting edge by the time it's released, they should at least be able to be shown on a big screen, if that's your thing!

6. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

WoW can be played in almost any resolution you throw at it, i doubt things will be different for Diablo 3.

We have come a long way from when 800x600 was a selling point of the LoD expansion ;)

7. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I am looking forward to playing this on my old 21" Standard screen LCD

Fixed that for yah.

8. yo-yo~delta

yo-yo~delta IncGamers Member

All games in the last 3+ years have done that, so that's not an issue. For the most part, the only thing being changed is the viewport size, not the detail level of things.

For this reason, I had always hoped blizzard would release some patch allowing the adjustment of the viewport size in D2, unless it is not so loosely coded as it is in current games?

9. sevencreature

sevencreature IncGamers Member

Wasn't WoW Vert- in widescreen upon release?

10. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

Yes it was, and D3 is widescreen even before release, as can be seen in the gameplay trailer.

Basically, this goes for nearly all 3D games. Even old games like Neverwinter Nights support 1920x1200 (widescreen).
    I'm a bit surprised why there is even a topic about it. The trailers clearly show widescreen.

11. RyTEK

RyTEK IncGamers Member

I can assure you that with the time and effort Blizzard puts into their games, D3 will be in widescreen and at a very high resolution.

For instance, WoW is an old game with antiquated graphics, and there are still people playing it out there at the native monitor resolution of 2560x1600. Thats about as high of a resolution as you can get, considering you probably need an SLI system and a $2000 Dell or Apple CinemaDisplay monitor to run that setup.

So rest assured - you will get your wish.

12. RedawgTS

RedawgTS IncGamers Member

The question really isn't whether D3 will be widescreen, that's rather obvious from the gameplay video released. The question is how they will present it. Below are the possible ways they will do it.

Vert-: They crop the top and bottom of the screen to make it fit. A cheap and easy method that punishes widescreen users.

Hor+: They expand the viewable area to the left and right side of the screen, this is the best and preferred method.

A mixture of both Hor+ and Vert-: Adding to the sides and cropping the top and bottom, this is how WoW does it and, if properly done, is probably the most fair way to do widescreen.

Obviously as an owner of a widescreen monitor I'd prefer the Hor+ method.

13. popodomo

popodomo IncGamers Member

Seeing how the camera seems to be fixed in Diablo 3 at a certain height (As in you can zoom in but you hit a wall when zooming out), I'm thinking its gonna be like WoW, and be a mixture of both.

I too, would like an expanded view but we aren't gonna get it. :(

14. sevencreature

I wouldn't be so sure - since 16:9 is the new 4:3 (at least according to the LCD display manufacturers it seems), it would precisely make the sense to use it as a default. And to crop 4:3, or that terrible 5:4 madness :)

P.S. Yes, I would prefer 16:10 myself, but what can we do...

P.P.S. Titan Quest supported multiple (true) resolutions without any problem, and WS looks pretty much, err, pretty there :)

15. Azymn

Azymn IncGamers Member

I too would like Hor+, but the biggest factor working against it is PvP because it gives an unfair advantage to the widescreen users. I suspect this is why WoW uses the hybrid method, which is probably what we'll see in D3.

BTW - the choice of which widescreen technique to use has nothing to do with camera height or angles, i.e. there are no technical limitations.

16. RedawgTS

16:9 wouldn't be the default. That may be the standard for widescreen TVs but 16:10 is the standard for widescreen computer monitors, and since DIII is a computer game first and foremost that would be the resolution they would design for. But it doesn't really matter because, unless we are really lucky, Blizzard will use the hybrid method.

17. sevencreature

Check the current market, and new lines of displays in all resolutions. Seems all the major producers already jumped on the 16:9 bandwagon. In other words, 16:10 future seems not be be as bright as it appeared to be year ago... Maybe production costs? Or ease of manufacturing?

Even Dell is offering 1920 x 1080 LCD (TN :-/ ).

More info - search: transition to 16:9 xbitlabs...

I am also not enthusiastic about 16:9, even though it's pretty cool for video. But seeing two things - lower production costs & supported ratio in consumer electronics => new default display ratio obviously.

18. RedawgTS

The article doesn't say that the transition is happening only that one research firm thinks it will happen. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't but it hasn't happened yet and I haven't seen any evidence that it's going to happen soon.

Also, Dell doesn't seem to make any 16:9 monitors. They do sell widescreen TV's that can be used as computer displays but that's not the same thing.

19. sevencreature

Dell S2409W. Seems the bad times are coming...

20. PlasmaTorture

PlasmaTorture IncGamers Member

Well, seeing how I wanted to save costs by using my hdtv as my monitor, I've got 16:9, so I'd be pretty happy if the game naturally preferred it. It just makes sense to arrive at an agreed ratio for the entire electronics industry (like 4:3 before), anyways. Sucks for all the 16:10 people though. :(