Wich weapon specialization to use?

Flamme

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm thinking of starting a barbarian, not sure what sort yet, but all of them have a lot of points in weapon spec. But wich weapon is best? You start with an axe, and in act one, that seems to be the way to go, but act 1 on normal is just a very small portion of the game. Are axes the way to go later in the game too or is swords better (or any other weapons for that matter). Should I go 1h + shield, 2h or 2 1 handers?

I played a lot back in 1998 and around there, but I don't think I ever got a barbarian even past act 2, so don't really know much about him. ( used to play, bowazon, fishymancer, wearbear and sorcerer. Unfortunately all my saves and all my stuff got lost when my computer crashed, so starting from scratch).

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
It depends on what you find (and playing twinked/untwinked) and what your primary attack skill will be

I usually dont spend any points into the weapon masteries until I either have figured out what I wanna use for end-game. And that is pretty much dependent on what I find for weapons in the end of nightmare grinds (like doing a bunch of meph, eldrich/shenk/pindle and Baal runs). Also if I find/shop some magic (blue) elite weapons, I save some of those and reroll them with the 3Pgem recipie and hope for like Cruel xyz of Switfness or something :) There is also the blood craft recipe that works with axes.

Remember that you have 3 respecs also, allowing you to change weapon mastery.

Flamme

Diabloii.Net Member
Forgot about the respeccs. I might go for axe, it should be fine for most/all of normal at least. Starting nightmare I can decide wheter I want to respecc or not. Since I said I lost all my chars when my Pc crashed I also lost all my gear so it will be semi- untwinked. Played my sorceres up to lvl 7 yesterday. As of now that is my highest char. So I will pass things from char to char, but no good chars to farm stuff or trade.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Good weapons for the entire Normal is to get two 3 socketed flails, insert Rals, Orts, Thuls, Tals and just use Double swing :)

Continue with the sorc and farm the brains out of Nightmare Meph, good stuff to get from him for the barb is Guilliams face, Goblin toes (or Gore riders), Headstriker, raven frost ring, Angelic Amulet and ring and you are good to go with barbie :)

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
It depends on your build really, but some good options. Steel > Strength > Black progression is decent. Passion is nice. Obedience if you go the polearm route. Generally speaking, don't bother with masteries until later in the game or put 1 in each that you use and respec later. See what drops.

Namtar

Diabloii.Net Member
Obedience if you go the polearm route.
I'm on the Obedience bandwagon. It's stronger than just about anything else you could reasonably expect to get untwinked. There are some other respectable options, but Obedience is just such a workhorse. I agree that weapon masteries should wait until later, and if you're working toward Obedience, it might make more sense to go with non-polearm weapons for most/all of Nightmare anyway (depending on what gear is found).

Notably, Obedience is a Ladder Only runeword, which may or may not matter to the OP.

Namtar

Diabloii.Net Member
I've not had much success with WW outside of near-endgame with lavishly decked-out gear, either runewords or the IK set. I ran out of mana almost instantly and tended to miss monsters a lot. But I might have just been bad at it. Admittedly, WW with the full IK set was a blast once I got used to it. But early experiences gave me a lot of trepidation toward the prospect of trying the skill with less extravagant gear.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Speed (on weapon), AR (Angelic Amy+Ring), Crushing blow (goblin toes, crafted blood gloves) and some mana leech is basically all you need for beating the game. The damage on the weapon itself does not have to be that great. And with Howl and War Cry, you wont even need that much defense either.