Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why Zeal over Hammerdin?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by solutionx, Apr 17, 2008.

1. solutionx

solutionx IncGamers Member

Why Zeal over Hammerdin?

I'm determined now to make my third char a Paladin, but after reading separate guides still don't know if whether to go Zeal or Hammer.

Hammerdin for now is clearly the superior choice in my mind for its killing speed if equally uberly equipped. The only drawback I see is it just seems - for lack of a better word - boring. I'm not sure if I'd like spamming hammer over and over no matter how fast I'll be able to farm out the pits. That is, after all, what a hammerdin does, no?

But this is mainly about Zealots. I want to know why some people play them over Hammerdins. Is it because they're cheaper to equip for "good" efficiency? Is it because they're better at boss runs?

Sorry if this belongs in the newcomer forum or somewhere else. I think it's a most relevant question asked in here.

2. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

Re: Why Zeal over Hammerdin?

Zealots are just a purely different play style, and some people do actually like being a character other than a hdin...hard to believe. They are a fun character to play. Brings back alot of memories.

3. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

1) Zealot does ubers easier, with less gear switches.
    2) Zealot is harder to get killed, generally.
    3) Zealot does not play like a hammerdin.

4. BAMFSpecialOps

2)IM=insta death

5. solutionx

solutionx IncGamers Member

Is that right? I thought Zealots needed a whole different set of equipment just to stand a chance against ubers, since it focuses mainly on smite.

6. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

The things you want with zeal are pretty much the same thing as the things you want with smite (IAS and CB). It's the hammerdins that need to swap gear.

7. BAMFSpecialOps

Hammerdins dont have to switch tooo much gear to do ubers, just the more thats switched...the easier it is ; ).

8. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

When you go down to it, a Zealot is essentially click and hold. They are more gear dependent than hammerdins and they kill slower. Zealots are generally harder to kill because they have higher defense and can leech (lifetap = invulnerable). But they need to be careful around IM.

9. Copilot

Copilot IncGamers Member

Seriously? Zealers wear the same gear as smiters do, all they need is life tap.

10. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Sacrifice, Zeal, Smite, Holy Shield, Fanaticism, and (for synergies) Redemption make up the physical grouping, assuming a Might mercenary using Pride's Concentration would be good enough for those two. That's the Exemplar I designed, which needs fantastic gear, but choices let you decide if you want to change or just run with what you have.

It can have javelins on switch so it's a ranged build and can use Passion with choices of skills or damage/speed auras while keeping max block to be immune to Iron Maiden. It can do great Sacrifice damage once Life Tap triggers or Zeal the Grief out of everything, and the defense bonuses can kick into high gear if you obtain an Exile. Heart of the Wolverine charges can't hurt, either, and did I mention Smite?

A great bonus is combining it with Charge/Blessed Hammer, Holy Bolt/Fist of the Heavens/Holy Shock, and Vengeance/Conversion/Thorns characters to cover every Paladin ability and several other class skills out there. Of course, you need three other people to do it with, but it's incredibly fun and definitely not boring with all the play styles available to them.

11. The Demon Slayer

The Demon Slayer IncGamers Member

Hammerdins are a better killer at PvM, but get pretty boring before lvl 18.
    Zealots are very fun and very hard to get killed if u have health leech

12. orodrethje

orodrethje IncGamers Member

Must totally agree with this, until your hammers are powerfull enough, wich is roughly lvl 30+ ish to start killing something they are boring as h*ll...

13. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I disagree. At lvl 18 hammers are already overpowered, especially if you go angelic/tarn/sigon for +3 skills. I never needed to use normal attack ever since lvl 18 when I rebuilt my hammerdin.

14. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

At CLvl22 and earning 23 skills, a pure build can have five points into each Blessed Hammer, Concentrate, and Vigor with five prerequisites and the remaining three into Blessed Aim. Add a +1Paladin/+3Conc/+3BHammer scepter, a much lighter auric shield with +1Pally, any combination of mana/skill gear otherwise, and all you need to do is get drunk off of mana potions since they can be bought, now. True, the scepter is hard to find, but you can use a purchased magical despite the gold it'll cost you.

I won't comment on the boring part, but the overpowered... yeah, insane. At least they can't Teleport until CLvl48.