Why would anyone still want occy?

rpgforumsnet

Diabloii.Net Member
Why would anyone still want occy?

You see ppl asking for it from time to time in trading forum.

If you want to mf on switch, gull or baba are both better choice.

So why would anyone still want occy?

stemis516

Diabloii.Net Member
cause its alrdy godly and u dont need to switch....just use it for all times...works well on pit when there is no "boss" to switch on, so u get the mf plus other godly bonuses always

just gotta learn to deal with the random teleport

WingBlade

Diabloii.Net Member
stemis516 said:
just gotta learn to deal with the random teleport
Those "random tele" can be a heart thumping ordeal... esp when mixed w/ a nice pack of monstrosities...

Spero

Diabloii.Net Member
Many sorc builds shouldn't really get hit that often.

If I were building a meteor sorc, I would probably be less likely to use an occy. However, I would think occy would be great for an orb sorc, for instance.

rpgforumsnet

Diabloii.Net Member
Spero said:
Many sorc builds shouldn't really get hit that often.
instance.
True. I would use occy in sc for this very reason.

But we're talking about hc here. It's when you get hit that matters.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
WingBlade said:
Those "random tele" can be a heart thumping ordeal... esp when mixed w/ a nice pack of monstrosities...
I would say that in 1.09, the auto teleport on occy was tolerable if you were careful and stayed away from danger. It was only triggered by physical damage (melee or ranged). But if you haven't noticed it is triggered by practically EVERYTHING in 1.10. Even simple things like a fire (eg. flaming pentagram in countess tower) will trigger it within a second or two of standing in the flames. Same with any other elemental damage that hits you. Since it is hard to avoid ALL types of damage with a sorc completely and the fact that 1.10 monster hell damage is obscene (and cursed seems to spawn on every boss pack) means that occy is probably not a wise choice for an HC sorc.

Araquiel

Diabloii.Net Member
As an Occy user, I can say that it's really a risk/reward choice some people make, and different sorc builds can get more benefit out of it than others. My Orb Sorc, who was as one-dimensional as sorcs get, (Max FO and synergies, ES and synergies, 1 in Static.) loved it because it gave everything she needed, and she was teleporting around like mad anyways. My default skillsettings were FO on right and Teleport on the left. If Occy triggered, it was just a click to correct.) Now on a sorc that isn't as Energy shield and teleport reliant, it could hurt, but I found it saved me as often as it jeapordized me. YMMV.

Forbiddian

Diabloii.Net Member
I can't see any situation where it would be better than HOTO. Isted Occy is a ton of MF for random people killing, but HOTO is a ton of life for random people killing.

Also, why would you run the pit with a Sorce? If you are, it'd be an extra 50 mf, but at what price? (You can't just use a Gull because you'll want immunity-breaking charges on a wand or dagger).

So are both Eldrich (better damage and FCR) and Wizzy (mad resists and FCR).

Other than cost, HOTO is just better.

Spero

Diabloii.Net Member
Omikron8 said:
I would say that in 1.09, the auto teleport on occy was tolerable if you were careful and stayed away from danger. It was only triggered by physical damage (melee or ranged). But if you haven't noticed it is triggered by practically EVERYTHING in 1.10. Even simple things like a fire (eg. flaming pentagram in countess tower) will trigger it within a second or two of standing in the flames. Same with any other elemental damage that hits you. Since it is hard to avoid ALL types of damage with a sorc completely and the fact that 1.10 monster hell damage is obscene (and cursed seems to spawn on every boss pack) means that occy is probably not a wise choice for an HC sorc.
I didn't know that. If I find one, I might try it anyway - just more reason to be careful. Kinda like I tried a nosferatus coil with my bowzon in 1.09 - quickly decided it was a bad idea! :scratch:

AnubisXy

Diabloii.Net Member
I use Arm of King Leoric on my necro, it procs bone prison on hit. You think occy is bad? Try getting prisoned in with a group of baddies. Almost did me in last night, drank every juv I had and exited with about 100 hp left.

Sip

Banned
Why does anyone use occy? are you crazy?

Occy is the BEST sorc orb in the game. Mf is only PART of the reason. Look at the mods:

The Oculus
Swirling Crystal
One-Hand Damage: 18 To 42 (30 Avg)
Required Level: 42
Durability: 50
Base Weapon Speed: [10]
(Sorceress Only)
+3 To Sorceress Skill Levels
+5 To Mana After Each Kill
All Resistances +20
25% Chance To Cast Level 1 Teleport When Struck
30% Faster Cast Rate
+20 To Vitality
+20 To Energy
+20% Enhanced Defense
50% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

For an orb/blizzard/meteor sorc, occy is way better than wizard spike. +3 skills, believe it or not, is a pretty nice mod to have.

Jedi

Diabloii.Net Member
well if i compare the mods

skills:
eldritch has +3 like occu

fc:
eld has 10% more fc which lets you decide for different gear which u would have sacrificed for more fc instead.

all resi:
an advantage of occu but with eld and mroe fc u can carry gear that makes up the missing all resi again.

50%mf vs up to 20% damage:
i dont think it makes a difference. it was always speed over mf% for mf chars. u kill fewer monsters with orb but with 50% mf and the otehr way around for eldritch.

then it still comes back to teleport charge when struck....maybe its a personal decision but i would like to control the situation instead an orb that forces me to be carefull and to teleport out of a dangerous monsterpacks in case. and the high change that the teleport is casted is another disadvantage in my book.

regards
jedi

killerxbabe

Diabloii.Net Member
I like wizzy and whistan for teleporting then switch to occy mosers once the fighting starts. Just an all around handy weapon. And that +3 really pumps the damage on my meteorb. Don't go for much over 150 MF at the moment and occy really helps me get some MF without sacrificing much in the way of survival gear.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
Sip said:
Why does anyone use occy? are you crazy?

Occy is the BEST sorc orb in the game. Mf is only PART of the reason. Look at the mods:

The Oculus
Swirling Crystal
One-Hand Damage: 18 To 42 (30 Avg)
Required Level: 42
Durability: 50
Base Weapon Speed: [10]
(Sorceress Only)
+3 To Sorceress Skill Levels
+5 To Mana After Each Kill
All Resistances +20
25% Chance To Cast Level 1 Teleport When Struck
30% Faster Cast Rate
+20 To Vitality
+20 To Energy
+20% Enhanced Defense
50% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

For an orb/blizzard/meteor sorc, occy is way better than wizard spike. +3 skills, believe it or not, is a pretty nice mod to have.
Just remember what i said before. Occy in 1.10 is practically triggered by ANY sort of damage. Walk over a fire on the ground (something you don't normally try to avoid while playing and there are plenty of them in places like act5 or indoor places like tower) and you can be teleported right into a juicy pack of monsters waiting to beat your face in.

skaeleen

Diabloii.Net Member
occy > wiz IMO

cant beat the mods on this, i mean come on

personally the random teleport on Occy has always HELPED me rather than HURT me, although im sure it could be bad. ie; i run into a pack of monsters while traversing Durance lvl 2, odds are occy is gonna make me tele out of them way before i could react in time. Also occy can really save you from Gloams/BurningSouls because their light attack hits 5 times, so if one shoots you, you are pretty much guaranteed to tele away. Since they normally shoot at same time, this can save you a lot.

the chance to tele has given my Blizz sorc a few near deaths on Andy because i will run over that stupid fire while fighting her and it will often teleport me in to the 2nd room where there are often boss packs. :(

imo, its worth the risk for occy. 3 to skills, fcr, res, mf, hp/mana, what does this orb NOT have?

plus, its just SO seksi when ethereal :p

ConnerMacleod

Diabloii.Net Member
Cold: I prefer my Death's Fathom any day to Occy. And I'd go Wizzy before Occy but after Death's Fathom.

Fire: Eldritch Orb. Wizzy next. Occy only if it was given to me.

But I still trade the Occys I find, because I never ever ever ever use them in HC play. SC of course I'd use that. That chance to tele is just way too common an occurance, and there's no way I would risk it even IF I "never get hit". Sure, you'll never get hit, if you know where the monsters are when Teleporting... but that's a discussion in another thread.

DarkY

Diabloii.Net Member
hc pvm : Every 1hand weapon is better then oculus

Suggestions: gull dagger, hoto, wiz, death f, eldrich, rare orbs, ali, ... etc

STINGER

Diabloii.Net Member
Only place that ever concerned me with an ccy was cows as it was easy to get "pinballed" in the same big pack!

When it comes to the rest of the game it doesnt bother me, and I know a few that love it when they have poor connections as Occy can get them out of nasty stuff faster than they can.

It is still a very good item, and remember, switching to baba/shiled tends to either loose block or resists so that isnt exactly safe either!