Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why was throwing stuff, including potions so poorly developed? der

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Fearlessone, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

Why was throwing stuff, including potions so poorly developed?

I think most of u would probably agree, this was an area poorly tested and expanded on when D2 came out. Why did throwing weapons suck until the xpac? Why wasnt this 'fixed' in classic? Why can't u buy throwing potions at the vendors? The game certainly uses them: the Cats in act2 deserts toss all sorts of damaging potions ur way. Was throwing ANYTHING an afterthought during development, tossed in at the end? Or did some PooBahh at Blizzard say: "Wait, look at the possibilities, throwing all sorts of crap, lets not expand on it till Diablo3. And thats an order!." :cyclops:

Anyone here remember the snafu where dual wielding potions by a barb caused some bug or the game to crash??? I remember after that lots of barbs appeared in chat channels with 2 pots in hand just to scare people :lol:
    It seems that throwing stuff challenges Blizzard coders.

There have been numerous suggestions about new throwing devices: boomerangs, slingshots...Some of those appeared years ago in the Suggestion forum. :idea:

Despite all the dire stories, there have been extremely high lvl throwers here in classic. I've seen one! :surprise: and heard about another... They can only do well with a fanatic pally next to them, and, well, a conc pally wouldnt hurt. Finding a fan pally nowadays isnt fun. My classic fanatic bowpally could get by before the evil 1.10 patch, now he is almost irrelevant without a buriza from LoD.

2. eggo

eggo IncGamers Member

Classic should have imbueable throwing weapons :D

3. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

throwing weapons in classic is a joke...
    at the required level for throwing potions they are useless.

4. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

In particular, javelins did have some possible use in classic - Amazon could do some damage with javs, because it came completely from skills.
    As far as I heard from people testing throwing javazons in Classic, theese builds were still underpowered.
    In other cases throwing stuff was next to useless in Classic. Throwing potions are completely useless even now in LOD.

5. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

Javazons are very good in classic. Lightning Fury is THE ultimate cow killer.
    Charged strike, while not a ranged attack is best with a javalin and deals out massive dmg for pvp or pvm.

All other throwing weapons, and skills for them (double throw... lmao) are junk.

6. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

I think the answer is that there are no exceptional versions of potions. Or even magic, or rare versions of normal potions. Throwing potions were never my favorite, and it seems like Blizzard wanted it that way. Almost so that you would be impressed at first, but then find other means of more effectively playing the game.

What they SHOULD'VE done with the expansion is made exceptional versions of potions, and make them able to spawn in magic and rare forms. They wouldn't be able to compete with the botds they have now, but it would have helped support the idea that they were going for a game full of USABLE features; as opposed to them just being able to say "look at all these features! The original Diablo never had these!" Almost as if they were just trying to make it better than Diablo I with more IDEAS, and not more FUN.

Oh well, just a thought.