Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why was/is D2 so gear-driven?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by d2fan, Aug 14, 2016.

1. d2fan

d2fan IncGamers Member

if anyone knows Dungeon Siege or Sacred you probably feel the same way, it was just about to go through the game, which might take 10 hours of gameplay (casual)

why is it, that in D2 you kill baal hell to... kill baal again, and again?

also the character improvement after lvl 89 (crafted amulets) is almost nill, a few statpoints, wow

its also proven that you can do the game totally naked, altho with very limited charbuilds (fishymancer, windydruid and maybe sorc)

so what do you think is the reason why the geargrind is so popular in D2?

2. Excalibur

Excalibur IncGamers Member

I doubt d2 needs 10 hours of gameplay even for an experienced player to complete. D2 on it's latest patch is not that easy going solo.

You kill baal again and again as you do plenty stuff all over again and again.
    The game needs to have re-playability. That's how it lasts long in time. What exactly did you want? To kill baal and end the game?

Not quite sure what you mean about crafted amulets but they can be crafted into powerful ones. Of course don't expect to get one on your first try
    and that's the beauty of the game. Even playing for years you may still have a chance to improve your character.

D2 is an action RPG. Finding and improving your gear is one of the most fundamental aspects of the game.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  3. d2fan

d2fan IncGamers Member

i ment the difference between lvl 70 with trash gear like 3 PD shield ect and full high end omgwtf dualgrief lvl 95 lies only in being able to kill monsters which you killed a 1000 times to find the stuff now even faster to find... what?

im not saying i dont like it, but why has D2 such replayability, whereas other games with nearly the same concepts and way better graphics just feel like "oh well, that was a nice hour of gameplay, now i got enough"

4. Excalibur

Excalibur IncGamers Member

Well each game attracts players in a different way and personally I don't feel the same way you do about D2.

Basically you have to understand that D2 is an extremely old game. What to expect from a game that was launched back in 2000? It surely has managed to surpass even the expectations of blizzard in it's long lasting activity. The reason it has such re-playability is because it's an old game which was based on a unique format at that time. RPGs were not that many and developers were surely not very creative like they are now were they can also drain ideas from many many other similar games.

5. Deuterium

Deuterium IncGamers Member

Highly varied and rich itemisation continuing on from Diablo's system of magic and unique items—the thrill of bagging a perfect King's Sword of Haste? Characters that are fun and rewarding to build and play, coupled with an item system with a good blend of relatively common powerful items and super rare pieces make for a great deal of replayability.