Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why TPPK?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Me2NiK, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Me2NiK

Me2NiK IncGamers Member

Why TPPK?

A few weeks ago, I started playing again after not playing for about six or seven months, mostly due to having other things to do. I've always been a hardcore player, as softcore bores the pants off of me.

I'm one of those people who don't play in public games because I'm aware of what might happen and has happened repeatedly to my friends. Last night I made the apparently grave mistake of playing in a baal run game, contrary to my best judgement, in order to get to 90 before I went to bed. Because I was already practically level 90, I had hit 90 by the time the act three minions were dead. Sometime before the spawning of the act four minions and the act three minions, someone had shot off a few fireballs and TPPK'd me (without scathing any of the other seven people in the game). They then resumed to reinvite the guy who TPPK'd me into the party and continued their baal run, without mean or mention of what happened. As far as I know, I didn't do anything wrong, I did what any other necromancer does in a baal run -- keep the summons to a minimum and support the party with curses and damage.

So I feel compelled to ask the question: why do it? I don't know how people can justify spending their valuable time and effort to stomp on the hard work of others. People who do that in real life don't stay alive for very long. What kind of mental state does a person have to be in to wake up one day and go "I think I'm going to make people feel bad about themselves today"? What is so fundamentally wrong with society that it is responsible for people who derive entertainment solely from raining on the collective parades of others? And it doesn't even stop there, because every time you make a private game when a more useful public one is available you're admitting that they've won. They've effectively made it impossible for a player who doesn't cheat to play in a public game without only having to be afraid of being PK'd legitimately (and, of course, of the game itself).

You may say it's just a game, but to do so is to miss the point of what's being said here. While this may be just a game, the fact is that unless you bot, you are investing real life time into your character. You are exerting real human effort, which is not a game Are the people who TPPK in Diablo 2 the same people who kick down little kids' sandcastles? Are these the bullies that have collectively made the lives of children and adults alike worse? Are these people loving mothers and fathers who relieve stress by stomping on the efforts of otherwise decent people? Who are these people?

2. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

Re: Why TPPK?

Close please, this won't go anywhere good

3. Master Zap

Master Zap IncGamers Member

They do it because they can. Reasons will vary from person to person. Some claim they're weeding noobs, other's do it for the same reasons trolls spam forums, to elicit your response. The human animal is peculiar indeed.

I'd tell you to chalk it off to juveniles and an aging minimally supported game.
    Forget the why, just understand that it does and will happen with any frequent public playing. My best advice here would be to drop by the "We're hardcore are you" thread and then to visit the channel we frequent if your looking for group play.It's still not a guarantee mind you, but I've found the banana's to be trustworthy and friendly 99.9% of the time.

If you do persist in challenging the odds publicly, be darn sure to know what kinda damages some builds can do and then depending on what you are, make a decision if you can risk tanking a couple shots. It's normally not a worthwhile argument to make to yourself but sometimes you gotta do whatcha got to do.

Tai might have been hasty on his close request, but historically these threads turn into a scathe fest and really don't resolve anything.

~Sara

4. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

Perhaps you're right Sara, it's nothing against the poster or the sentiment obviously. I've just seen so many of these threads degenerate into 'Why do people PK' instead and then the dead horse starts to take extra whacks...

5. Nilaripper

Nilaripper IncGamers Member

People got different reasons to play this game:

- to level some chars
    - to play some pvp
    - to build pk chars and get some ears
    - to make business and sell virtual items on ebay
    - to build a godly Uber char
    - to level some chars to 99
    - to kill others with hacks in one hit

And the last ones got you. They probably were a TPPK clan hunting you. A char build for PvM is one hit killed. If you dont build a char whose defensive capabilities are good enough to tank the various kinds of TPPK chars...dont play public HC. I had such an unTPPKable char in season 3.There is nothing more to add except that they dont care... griefers you know.

6. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Being TPPK proof is quite a feat. How'd you do it?! :D

7. Me2NiK

Me2NiK IncGamers Member

People don't do things for no reason, I want to know why. I've been TPPK'd before and I've been playing hardcore for many years, I understand full well that people do it. I understand full well how people do it too -- you learn a few things after playing the game for eight years. I'm not particularly shocked that I was TPPK'd and I'm sorry I gave that impression. What I'm interested in is the rationale behind doing it.

Every other reason that people play the game for listed makes perfect sense to me, except the last. I can understand why someone would PK -- it's a challenge and there's satisfaction derived from hunting down someone and fighting them. There's a very large difference between that and TPPKing.

I think it's very sad that TPPKers are so previlant that they've collectively scared thousands of Diablo 2 players into private games.

8. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

Nobody's arguing. Coming here looking for a rational explanation is foolhardy. There isn't one. Maybe they like playing god like a kid burning ants with a magnifying glass, who knows? Legit players (like the ones who frequent this forum) aren't exactly in tune with that rationale or we wouldn't be legit.

Some people enjoy TPPK and they ruined public gaming. Why? No satisfactory answer is forthcoming, let it die.

9. prion

prion IncGamers Member

humans suck.

10. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

PK No PK ?

11. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

To see threads like this.

/thread?

12. glynnbo

glynnbo IncGamers Member

It's egotistic but deeply inadequate people with no power in real life trying to find power over peeps within a video game.Pure sad fantasy.Live and let live I say :)

13. dyolf

dyolf IncGamers Member

If you play on EUHCL, you might want to join the op gauss channel. It was built for people like you, who want to play with trustworthy people. On East there is the op xanabax.

Don't bother trying to understand the why's of tppks, they are just a sad small sample of mankind, the would probably steal little babies milkbottles if they could get away with it...

14. prion

prion IncGamers Member

I belive that is the channel for discussion of impotence drugs :D

try op xbananax intead

15. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

Why you always steering people away from my impotence support group man?

16. dyolf

dyolf IncGamers Member

oops, yeah. and by the way it would be the right channel for tppks and their problems, so more of a freud'scher versprecher

but anyway, i should learn to spell B A N A N A right every time :p

17. dyolf

dyolf IncGamers Member

Interesting question, but you can only answer this by doing some serious research. Anything you get here will only be hypotheses. Basically, explanations for violence tend to be:
    - psychological
    - sociological
    - systemic
    One approach would be to get a meaningful sample of tppk people, and get information on their background and their psyche. Could be an interesting research topic, especially linking tppk activity to real world present/future delinquency and violence.

18. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2AU-kAnB24I

If you still don't know how to spell it after the first watch, the punishment is to watch again... that should do the trick ~_~

19. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

In real life, antisocial behavior is usually punished in a way or another. You loose friends, fail exams, get fined, get fired, sent to jail, or worse. When you play a multiplayer game online, you can do whatever you want, because you're anonymous, and the people you've offended cannot efficiently punish you. So I guess it's a way of experimenting behaviors that you could not afford in real life. It's the way things are on Internet, and we have to get used to it.
    Sorry for your loss.

20. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Heh. I'm pretty anti-social and I haven't been "punished" by anything you listed. Could say I've lost friends, but I've moved around enough to lose them anyways.

Still, I don't get my jollies off clicking a button and giving someone the deeds from in town.

I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but a lot of these tards are part of online..uhhh..."cliques?" in which they record TPPK kills. So, you can believe that Mathcore's name/ear got posted somewhere to one up that person's "score."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.