Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why this hate?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Void, Nov 5, 2006.

1. The Void

The Void Banned

Why this hate?

ATTENTION, THE PICS THAT I'M ABOUT TO SHOW ARE EXTREMLY OFFENSIVE

pic1

pic2

Krischan also told me that he saw a pic with a wheelchair and saying something of the likes of "look at that freak", when I posted a link of a sig of some guy (unfortunatly he changed the sig)

Why do some people hate and mock people in wheelchairs? I'd like to meet one of those people and ask them how would they like to be stuck in a wheelchair

Discuss:
    The stupidity

2. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

You are way to emotional about it, the links are offensive, i predict this thread will soon be closed.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Because they are different, that is the reason there is hate. HAMC is right, this thread is going down soon.

4. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

i'm sick of this "how can you laugh at this situation, what if you were in it? would you laugh then?" argument

the obvious answer to that rhetorical question is that no you would not laugh then

it is human nature to take our health, possessions, family, *insert object here* for granted and not realize how valuable/worthwhile they were until they are stripped from us

and everyone seems to be guilty of this behavior to some degree

5. The Void

The Void Banned

Concur'd

10chars

6. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I disagree. I believe that peer pressure has a great deal to do with such behavour. If you show no tolerance for such childish acts the people around you are far less likely to stoop to them.

7. The Void

The Void Banned

Well the thing is: I have a genetic "handicap" and I already noticed that people dislike it very much, they mocked me more than once and I was once called a freak.

BTW don't think that I have anything wrong with my body, it's actually a action that I take when I am under pressure or impacient (sp?)

So I kinda know how its like to be mocked because your have a handicap and I find it very immature and sick to mock handicaped people.

8. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Everyone gets made fun of. And that's how it should be. No one should get a free pass. It's certainly better than eliminating humor altogether, which almost always is at the expense of someone else.

Edit-Void: I was born with a deformed arm. I've been made fun of before by a total of 2 people. It wasn't clever or anything, more along the lines of "you're different". If it could be worked into a joke some clever way, I'd probably laugh along too. The pics you posted aren't really clever or funny. This is why South Park is funny, they do all sorts of politically incorrect making fun of people, but it doesn't seem mean spirited, so it is funny.

9. The Void

The Void Banned

I feel sorry for you, what kind of difficulties have that handicap caused you?
    I like south park too and I agree with you in the way you see it.

EDITED: just noticed that I accidentally left a "is" in the title, I meant to say "why this hate??", if a mod can fix it, then plz do it.

10. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I can't juggle. I can't play a musical instrument other than a triangle or a Xylophone. I can't clap very well. I can do anything else, albeit with varying degrees of akwardness. I've found people to be pretty cool about it though, although you do notice the quick glances from strangers.

11. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Fixed

10thingies

12. Aldarad

Aldarad IncGamers Member

While I dont mock handicapped people I am guilty of "typecasting".

So I could say "Have you spoken to Merick lately?"

"Merick? Merick who?"

"You know, the cripple, the guy with the arm."

It is bad, but I guess its human.

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I certainly understand and have no problem with people refering to me as "the guy with the arm", it's a distinguishing feature, and will save a lot of time. Like if you want to refer to the only person of African descent in the room, you might say "the black guy". It's a fact, and calling attention to it is not in itself mean spiritied or discriminatory. I'd rather they didn't call me a cripple though.

14. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

That sort of typecasting, as a description, is pretty harmless. My colleague is usually described as "the one with the hair", I'm "the one with the glasses", if they are nice about it.
    We're more or less an all girls team, including the team on the other school. We have one man in the team, and recently got a temp colleague aswell, who's also male. The latter gets referred to as "the other boy. Odd.

Anyways, people will always look. In my job you meet lots of people. Some people have big marks on their face....I don't mind but it makes it hard to avoid. I don't want to stare but you do look twice.
    Mocking is a whole different story....it does happen, not just to people in wheelchairs.
    I have a few reoccuring physical problems and it's those moments you notice how cruel women amongst each other are, aswell as how rude some men are.

There are always acceptions, and they matter most.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I didn't find those pictures offensive.

16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Because those people who do the mocking are upset with their own go-nowhere existences. If they had a life they'd be out living it instead of poking fun at unfortunate folks.

17. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

People are afraid of what's different. My two year old daughter stares at people in wheelchairs, and she gets visibly upset/scared when someone who is mentally retarded is a few feet away. It's nothing she's learned, that's for sure. We're just naturally put off by people that are different than us.
    It's something we'll always have to deal with, because I'm not sure if it will ever change.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, some people with certain conditions are actually repulsive.

19. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

True, but that doesn't mean they should be made fun of either...I'll just turn my head and try to keep down my lunch quietly.

20. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

My disability so to speak isnt visible, I was born with a cleft palate but the surgeons fixed me up real good. I have a speach impediment though where instead of pronounced say kiss as kiss I pronounce it kish.

To me though I hear kiss when I say it but when I record it and listen to it I can see how I really sound. There have only been 1 or 2 people that have given me a hard time about it so it doesnt really bother me much.