Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

why the fuss..

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by red_devil, Mar 28, 2004.

1. red_devil

red_devil IncGamers Member

why the fuss..

i got this today..

Rainbow Facet
    Jewel
    Required Level: 49
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0x78c654e9
    Adds 1-74 lightning damage
    100% Chance to cast Level 47 Chain Lightning When You Die
    +4% to Lightning Skill Damage
    -3% to Enemy Lightning Resistance

i just dont know why i would use this on a socket.. i am not too keen on dying CL and other bonusses looks minimal.. same for other unique jewels..

id rather use some rune or even some other rare jewel.. :scratch:

2. Purkake

Purkake IncGamers Member

It would be good a LF javazon.

3. red_devil

4% bonus damage and -3% resistance of enemy doesnt seem much.. :scratch:

4. bhaalistik

bhaalistik IncGamers Member

I believe the attraction is to put MULTIPLES of them in an item, thus boosting the % to a respectable amount. But thats just a guess :thanks:

5. Purkake

Purkake IncGamers Member

Put 3 in helm 4 in armor 4 in shield and it will be a lot more. Of corce you probably cant get that many. Every little bit will help. And it will be alot easyer to get your corpse :uhhuh:

6. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

Ya your right one rainbow facet jewel doesn't do that much. But if you get 5 or more jewels all with 5% bonus damage and -5% resistance, thats over 25% bonus damage and -25% to there resistance to that element. So when it stacks it becomes a decent amount of extra damage. Hope this made sense.

7. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

how much lower resistance does it take to break an immunity?

8. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Negative resistances work at 1/5th of their % against immunes. For example, at clvl 25 Conviction gives -150% resistances (except poison), therefor, it would be able to break the immunities of monsters who had <130% of a specific rsistance. At that point, skills such as Cold Mastery begins to work, as it does not break immunities.

crg

9. Tiger_Spirit

Tiger_Spirit IncGamers Member

Don't know, but I think you must reach the resist monster immunity under 100 of his resist immunity. (example: a balrog has 140 resist to fire in hell, so if u have 9 perfect rainbow facet fire, it will be 95 resist to fire so the immunity is broken, but then, u will deal just 5 percent of you re full damage of fire)
    But for more information check www.d2data.net (I'm not sure if I can put internet link :scratch: )

edit: oops wrong answer, don't listen to me :scared:

10. Kaelin

Kaelin IncGamers Member

You can't. Only Lower Resistance, Amplify Damage, and Conviction can break immunity.

Regards,
    Kaelin

11. ShriekingWillow

ShriekingWillow IncGamers Member

It's important to remember that -to enemy resistance is much more effective than +to skill damage.

Let's say you do 100 lightning damage and the monster has 50% lightning resistance. You'd do 50 actual damage. Now with 20% to lightning damage you'd do 120 damage, but the monster still has 50% resistance so you end up doing 60 actual damage, a 20% increase.

But with -20 to enemy lightning resistance you'd still do only 100 damage. But now the monster has only 30% resistance so you end up doing 70 actual damage, a 40% increase.

Anyway, long story short the Rainbow Facets are great socket choices for specific builds:

Lightning - Socketed in a Griffon's Eye for a Lightning Zon
    Fire - Meteor Sorcs, typically socketed in an Occulus
    Cold - Wind Druids, socketed in a Stormshield perhaps
    Poison - Novamancers, socketed in a Death's Web

As you see the Rainbow Facets are typically socketed in items that wouldn't benefit from most runes or jewels. Also, it's typically the really high end gear that you want to save a good % facet for. Though with the unsocket recipe you can socket a mediocre one now, and pull it out like a rotten tooth when you find a better one.

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

It could also be fun to put on a merc, especially one with some kind of lightning damage. The merc will die more often than you (hopefully) so you'll get to see the fireworks every now and then. :)

13. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

Don't say that you're playing HC. :uhhuh:

I'd hate to find something like that.

Yours: Topi

14. DurfBarian

If it's in HC then the merc is a great place for it. :cheesy:

15. red_devil

no.. :D

durf.. excellent point m8.. especially against big baddies.. level 47 chain lighning.. how much damage could it do.. :scratch:

anyway.. since i dunno much about which item is valued more etc.. could i get any decent unique like skulder's if i trade this.. :cheesy:

16. DurfBarian

Man, if it was HC I would trade you something pretty nice for it . . . my CB sorc would love something like that just for the added damage.

Take it to the trade thread and shop it around . . . someone ought to be interested! :)

(I think lvl 47 CL hits 14 targets for 1-776 damage each, but don't quote me on that.)

17. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

This is not necessarly true -% can be more effective it all depends on the resistance of the monster. If you do your math with 50% resistance 0% resistance and 95% resistance you will find that having resistance increases the damage more significatly but having less resistance before -% would decrease the benifit. If you have conviction on a monster and have their resistance below 0 then the +% will be more effective then the -%.

There is a thread on this in the Statistics forum it was sometime last week.

As for the question at hand 1-74 lightning damage *1.05 = 1-77 lightning damage, 1-77 lightning damage * -% will only further increase the lightning damage as well as any other lightning damage already in the attack. The lightning/fire/ice from facets is not as good a mod as the +/-% as it helps all 'element's on the attack. if you would amount 5 without the +/-% you would get 1-370 lightning damage. With the +/-% you would get 1-444 lightning damage. these do not include the extra due to the complexity of monsters resistance. If you can come up with a better way to amass that amount of damage with runes or gems then go ahead. Then again the +/-% adds to all attacks including skills such as chainlightning on a sorc. The -% will drastically increase the damage from such skills.

18. usamahanas

usamahanas IncGamers Member

that's right, I made actually my own calculation befor that thread, so for every class rainbow facet with more -% resistance is better than the perfect +%, exception only for a cold sorcers and Pnova necro (who uses three trang's items)

19. Howitzer Al

Howitzer Al IncGamers Member

Also, it seems to me that this mod can be useful in SC. I'm willing to bet that if you die, there are a lot of tough monsters around which will still be around your corpse making it harder for you to retreive it. I don't know how much damage a lvl 47 Chain Lightning does, but I bet it'd thin the herd out a bit making corpse retrieval a lot easier.

As mentioned earlier, it might be even more useful on a merc.

20. farting bob

farting bob Banned

it does 14 hits at 1-1686 dmg actually. i would blame you for your mis-calculation but ill leave it up to others.