Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why the Barbarian?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Flux, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Why the Barbarian?

I'm assuming the people reading this forum are highly interested in playing a Barbarian. That he/she'll be your first or 2nd char played, and that you plan on playing the Barb a lot. So... why?

What draws you to the character? Makes you want to spend your limited gaming time driving a Barb around, rather than a monk or a wiz or whatever?

Do you like the lore and the character bio, or the toe-to-toe style of gameplay, did you love the D2 Barb and that carries over, are there some specific skills you've seen that you can't wait to try out, etc?

There are no right or wrong answers to this; I'm just curious.

2. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Re: Why the Barbarian?

Second to Monk, I'll be playing this for sure. :)

I've liked melee rather than casters, and have always loved WW. New graphics and a momentum factor will make it interesting this time around.

Then, he has ranged with the seismic attack, his own charge, AoE ground stomp + Hammer, and the typical + damage and res/DR found on a barb.

3. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

As far as I am concerned, all the reasons mentionned by Flux.

I like the lore around Diablo. So the fact that he is a returning character is a motivation to play the barbarian. He was also my first and one of my favorite characters in D2. So, if I have to go back and fight demons again, let's do that with an "old friend".

Besides that, I like what I have seen of the gameplay and am impatient to try the improved version of the Barbarian. Even if I liked the D2 version it was quite limited to a few skills plus some situational skills. There were mostly two possibilities for the main attack skill (whirlwind and frenzy). However, the barbarian had some of the most spectacular skills I have seen for a character in any games : giant jumps, whirlwind, very impressive shouts...
    Now they seem to have improved the char by giving him with many skills coming from other characters or games : charge from the paladin, seismic skills from the W3 tauren chieftain... If low level skills remain a valid option at high level, I think the gameplay will be more varied than in D2 and I am really eager to try all these skill. So we will have all the ancient typical skill of the barbarian plus many new very impressive skill. I really enjoy it.
    Another thing I like about the gameplay of the Barbarian is that he is slower than the Monk. I prefer a slightly slower fighting pace, with hard hits, than the fast gameplay of the Monk.

Besides that, I think that the barbarian has an additional advantage over other characters: the look! When you are getting a new wand or a new dress as a mage, well, it is essentially an improvement of your stats. When you are getting a new armor, axe, shield for a fighter, the feeling is completely different and much more satisfying. Especially in Diablo where the characters are tiny: it is always easier to see a double handed axe from a distance than claws, daggers, wands...

4. Gladosayx

Gladosayx IncGamers Member

I guess im making up for something but ive always been drawn to the big tough guys, so ill likely be making a battlemaster/tank.. I just love being able to walk in somewhere and laught in their faces as I dont take damage, even if it means I dont deal as much either, plus he has some really awesome looking new skills.

One other main reason is just that he is the only one carrying over from D2, Im really curious how this will impact the storyline and conversations if he would for an example run into another of the old D2 heroes and such.

5. AtomicJ

AtomicJ IncGamers Member

I like the Barbarian's grizzled viking war horse aesthetic. He's a noble savage a little past his prime, but he's still a physical specimen whose lethality is amplified by his wisdom and experience. I like the battle-hardened old guy archetype. :)

Plus I'm a big guy, so he's the closest representation I have in the game. :)

6. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

I'm a huge Barbarian fan :D
    I became such a huge fan in D2 because of all the different ways of killing your opponent toe-to-toe (as you put it)

I had a barbarian using a full sigon set, even at higher levels just for the fun of it.
    I had a barbarian using full immortal king set and noticed it was fairly effective with proper jewels.
    I had a titan barbarian with a polearm for massive whirlwind damage.
    I had a barbarian based around open wounds and gear good enough to kill anyone that got close enough. (pvp'd a lot with this one)
    It's the class I spent most time with, leveling, releveling, boosting, pvp, ...

7. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

I enjoy the playstyle. Sometimes I feel like playing a subtle character who advances to strike and then retreats away from the rigors of battle, most caster classes play like this. However sometimes it is very fun to just jump into the middle of a pack of baddies and see who has the biggest stick.

8. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

I played a WoW warrior for a couple of years and really liked the class, so the barbarian seems to be the closest D3 will get to that kind of gameplay (visceral melee, very similar resource systems, heavy armor etc).

9. Stank

Stank IncGamers Member

I generally go for melee type characters. I usually have more fun with melee, and I honestly hate having to constantly cast spells, restore mana, etc... I'm just not a huge multi-tasker. :p
    Besides, Monk is going to be way over played, as the other melee, I'm sure.

10. Drytchnath

Drytchnath IncGamers Member

I always tend to go the "safe" path when starting up any new fantasy game by choosing the warrior/fighter/barb first. On top of that, the barb in D2 classic was my favorite class, with Amazons coming in 2nd.

With the death of immunities on monsters and some really cool ranged attacks like seismic slam thrown in its looking like the barb will become my character of choice once again.

Now all I gotta hope for is for Blizz to make 2-handers a very viable option as a weapon of choice...

11. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

I'll be going barb starting out because I love the idea of his resource system. Run into the middle of the mobs then fight to stay alive so you can spam the hell out of your skills. Plus WW is definitely the greatest skill ever. I'll be playing berserker as my first build. Although ultimately I'll be playing for PVP and the fury resource has me worried about well a non-juggernaut barb will perform in PVP. If the barbarian is sub optimal in PVP then I'll probably switch to which ever class has a general build that can handle all other builds if played right. Unless that build is as cheesy as the hdin. I hate hdins.

12. diablosminion

diablosminion IncGamers Member

i have been a big fan of the barb he was my favorite char on d2 and with the new improvements like the AOE skills and the upgraded old skills makes him very appealing...thats not to say i wont play the other chars its just i hate "shoot shoot shoot...%&#! im out of mana!...now what :banghead: .....axes and swords never fail me at least ^^ but with the new resource systems that they have in place maybe it will be a improvement for us melee focused people and maybe they will eventually give us a release date one day lol

13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

barb probably wont be my first char choice (i will make all 5 and then pick who to really use) but i am interested in the story of him. will he actually feel like the d2 barb meaning will it get mentioned at all that it was him or will it just feel like some elder barbarian? curious to see that since i may be one of the few people actually into the diablo world story lol

14. MiniMonk

MiniMonk IncGamers Member

MM does not think he will use the Barbarian. He always liked casters and quick/agile characters more then the ones that was brute force.

15. Tsuneo

Tsuneo IncGamers Member

Because I don't really like the other classes.

I'm interested in PvP'ing with him. I've always thought barbs look cool in PvP.

16. joffe

joffe IncGamers Member

To me it's because it's first of all a simple and safe class. Lots of health, lots of power, click on ugly monster, big guy smashes monster with stick. The others seem to require more micro to get them to be as efficient and to keep them alive.

The others seem fragile and complicated in comparison. The Wizard worst of all, then the Monk, the WD and the DH. Funnily enough that's probably the order I'll play them in, Barbarian, DH, WD, Monk, Wizard.

I never played much D2 but I'm pretty sold on the Barbarian either way. First normal and HC character, then either the DH or the WD. Not sure about the other two.. It'll probably be a while.

17. GuardianHadriel

GuardianHadriel IncGamers Member

Minus the big guy thing (since i'm only 16) this is very close to why i'll be playing him.

18. AGTJ

AGTJ IncGamers Member

Well, I'm glad there aren't many interested in playing the barb on release. Could make my character more unique to have? :)

I started playing the D2 alpha way back when as a barbarian (only class available to play). I remember you could level him to max lv 20 in the blood moor (only open area - I'm sure Flux (who back then was the computer tech guru) and Elly remember that, as I was a long time reader of dii.net back around that time) and remember people killing the little red devils over and over to reach it (I can only imagine the time that took... lol). I guess that stuck with me over the years...

I really like how they branched out with the AoE skills other than whirlwind in D3. Really looking forward to the class as it is in D3 over all the others. I hope blizz won't make me hold out for too much longer. Another beta invite would be nice. :)

19. Gekonek

Gekonek IncGamers Member

Sentiment. He was my main char at DII and he would probably be my main in DIII. For sure he will be my first :). I like a lore against this class and a raw, brutal force. And with add of AoE skills and fury resource system it could be fun to "Always stay in combat". But we'll see if they make fury attractive to players. If not - probably WD or DH will stay my main, Monk and Wizard are not my style of play. But i hope blizzard will make barb "My preciousss" :D

20. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

In Diablo 1 my first char was Warrior. In Diablo 2 it was Barbarian. So with Diablo 3 I'm going with tradition and doing him my first char.
    Besides I like the concept of huge guy using huge weapons to smash enemies.
    But if he end up my favorite character, I don't know until I make all 5 chars.