Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why SP?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Someone14, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone14

Someone14 IncGamers Member

Why SP?

Hey,

Im just being curious and wanna know why you prefer single player. Is it that you just don't have cd-keys to play online. Or is it because battle.net is full of dupes-n-hacks-n-lamers or what is it? Actually I am pretty bored of battle.net, and might start to play good old singleplayer.
    One more thing. Do most of you prefer HC or SC when playing SP. Tell me all the advantages of sp, and I might join ya :yep:

2. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

well its not the cd key part as i for one has bought 3 LOD games so far.

wont make a long list this time but a short one will do.

1 no hackers ruin my game

2 no immature people

3 i actualy play the game therfor i dont want people around me that have one thing on there mind..... getting to hell asp

4 i get all the drops

5 no pk

3. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

We really need to collate a list of all the threads this question has been asked. That way, I'd rather paste the links so the poster can see the answers instead of answering the same thing over and over again.

--T

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

No spambots.
    No spambots.
    No spambots.
    No spambots.
    No spambots.
    No spambots.

Plus, in my case, I'd only ever played on-line alone. It was fairly pointless playing on Bnet, with lag and 'RUSH PLZ' among other things, when I could play SP at my own pace without any lag, connection interrupted, or similar.

Oh, and I play HC almost exclusively. It's just so damn frustrating having to pick your body up whenever you die...

5. Someone14

Well, you can avoid all those things in battle.net, by just playing alone :)
    One thing that occured to me is lag, sp is damn smooth without any delay :evil:

6. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

I never even tried playing bnet...I read the forums of those who were playing and that was as close as I wanted to get to them. Plus, I get the pure satisfaction of doing everything myself, and gaining all the rewards myself. I play SC, I'm not ready for the mental anguish of losing a character quite yet.

If bnet is better for you, enjoy yourself there, but if it gets old and you want to try out the game in a different way, you won't find a more helpful, welcoming group anywhere.

7. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

For most of us there's not only one, but several reasons fopr choosing SP over b-net. Here's some of mine:

1. no lag/lost connection etc

2. no immature people always begging for "RUSH ME NOW!", "ITAMZ PLZZZ!" etc.

3. you can play at your own pace, whenever you want

4. you actually get to play the game through, and see all the variety of areas/monster etc.

5. no jokes about your gender/sexuality/mother

6. great way to experiment different builds.

7. no dupes/hacks/pkers

8. mainly, I find it a ton more fun than b-net, plus it's pretty relaxing having no competition but yourself.

Well, those are my main reasons for leaving b-net, and I'm sure there's more but that seems good for now. Hope you make the switch over to SP!

-Pb

8. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

But by just playing alone you won't get a very high lvl as the /players x command won't work.. and having a reasonable lvl before leaving nm is pretty important if u want to go trough hell alone

9. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

Well, you've already pointed it out - SP avoids all those things on battle.net, without lag. What's the point of playing alone on bnet, when you can play alone and not have any lag? Not to mention, you can play anytime you want; there's not a problem with the server being down. Nor do you have to have a great internet connection.

Plus, you get to use ATMA to mule and trade - so you don't lose the one feature bnet had that SP didn't. (much appreciation to Hakai!)

Plus, you get to hang out around the SPF, full of some of the nicest and most knowledgeable D2 players on the planet...I learned more about the game in a week here than in months of playing on bnet.

Plus, no one is going to make fun of your characters here if you decide you do need help, either through asking advice or an MP game. We won't trash your character because it doesn't have the most l33t gear or is an off-beat build. We'll just provide some advice, ideas, and in many cases, some pieces of gear that might help.

Plus, we have tourneys regularly. Usually HC, revolving around some bizarre or limited build, and people compete to see how far they can go. With prize pools generated by what all the players find.

Plus, SP 1.10 gets all the features of ladder. Except the anni charm and Diablo clone. Who needs those - we've got all the new runewords and cubing formulae anyways.

And we've created our own ladders here, so you can still have the thrill of trying to get to the top.

And, as already mentioned, no spammers, hackers, l337 speaking weirdos, no one stealing your drops, PKing you, and you get to play at your own pace. You can even enjoy Act III (the whole Act, not just Meph) if you want...go ahead...we won't tell anyone. Come on. You know you love the Flayer Jungle. Admit it. It's ok. ;)

And, at the end, you get to realize that you beat the game yourself. Every quest, every battle, you fought - not standing back and watching some mega-level character rush you to Hell Cowz.

So, why would you go back?

10. Someone14

Those are nice things indeed when comparing sp to bnet. Well, I might start SP, but I got couple of problems:
    Why is my fps showing stable 25? Online my fps gets up to ~100 or so, but in SP it's just showing 25 :cheesy:
    If I make skelemancer, should I go with max block or high VIT (is there any differences between bnet and sp that would affect to this)
    I've read about ATMA, one more good thing to start SP for me :)
    I've heard about "map-rerolling" or so. What does it exactly mean? Can I save some specific map, and play it again and again?

Well, Im starting now and I will ask you if I come up with some new problems. :creep:

11. King's Specter

King's Specter IncGamers Member

I like the barter system used in SP trading. I don't like the b-net "economy"

I also like the convenience of Atma! I would have the hassle of muling on the realms if I were going for the grail.

12. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Even when your fps is over 25, the game is only calculating a new frame every 1/25 of a second. It'll just draw each one 4 times repeatedly if you are hitting 100 fps. In SP where there is assumed to be no lag (there actually still is sometimes, with eg skelemancers or after killing Shenk) they don't bother measuring the fps properly, they just tell you what it is effectively capped at.

A skelemancer needs very little Str and no Eng. Mine is managing max block and high Vit (although you do need a decent block shield). No diff between SP and Bnet there.

One of the big advantages of SP is that your map stays the same until you change it. This is very useful for MFing of course, as you always know where the stairs are. But the map gets reset if you start a multiplayer game or change difficulty, so if you have a bad one you can try to improve it.

13. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Everything people have already told you is very true. I tried Bnet, played there for couple of weeks and got back to SP

When you play SP you have know how the builds work, you have to face all situations alone. It requires more skill. I have played in MP games and I know how ridiculously easy 1.10 is when you are partied with others, it can come boring quite easily. And if you play MP with us, you can be sure you are playing with quality players

MFing is easier, if you get good Meph map you can run it as much as you want. We also get all ladder-only stuff

One of the main differences between SP and Bnet is that in SP you play for relaxing and challenge, on Bnet it is constant competition for better gear, higher characters and so on...it is very stressful imo. Here no-one is stealing your drops, not even in MP game, no PK, no hacks or cheats, just fair play and having fun

And last but not least: we have ATMA. I can't imagine easier and better way to mule items. People on Bnet have nothing like this

:)

14. Someone14

I am curious, but are you playing Hc or Sc, and what lvl your nec is? :) Now I got the map-rerolling thing too, thanks a lot!

One more thing again, what would be the best starting mf-character? The same old skelenec or some sorc? :p

15. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

LOL at cauthon.

act 3 is by far my favourite act but then again i find its atmosphere to be intresting. and it can even be fun to visit the swampy pit and other places just so the monsters wont feel so alone:D

not many go there after all

EDIT: someone14 for example my summoner necro is level ** and have about +550% mf and still got all res maxed in hell.

in sp you can make all good chars you could in bnet its just a matter of making those mf or rune runs for a long time.

16. Someone14

Just wanted to know, do you play Hc or Sc? I actually don't know why Im asking this, just wanna know ^^. Has he survived to lvl ** with max block or high vit? :p

17. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Also, don't forget that we're so much cooler then b.netters. And we have Durf. Let's see them respond to that. :cheesy:

18. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Like all the others have said with their lists and I want to add that I don't understand what they are saying when they are combining letters and numbers. I don't even know what l33t means so it's rather pointless to talk to people who always use it just because they think they are cool.
    Just my point of view

DX

19. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

My necro is SC but has only died once (normal Diablo, and that was me being overconfident - at the time I had 100 stat points "saved up" for when I knew where I wanted to put them :doh: I quickly put them into Vit after that :) )

He is now clvl 72 and has killed NM Baal but not gone into Hell yet (am doing some MF runs to get some better gear first). He is entirely untwinked, something I haven't done in a while, so I've been taking it fairly slow. He has ~180 Vit which gives him a little over 600 HP. Bulb never gets below half full though unless he gets badly poisoned and I don't bother curing it right away. If it was HC I'd be more careful of course.

As he is not supposed to get hit very often, and when he does, back away rather than hitting back, I figure max block does more for him than the same amount of dex turned into HP.

20. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

I woudn't invest dex for max block on skellymancer. He is hit very seldom, so high blocking isn't needed. Mostly elemental attackers are those who deal damage to necro so blocking won't help, I rather have high vitality. But im not sure about other necro builds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.