Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

why run Pindle?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by HBeachBabe, Apr 7, 2004.

1. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

why run Pindle?

I realize this is sort of a dumb question since the obvious answer is "he can drop any item in the game (or thereabous)"
    but doesn't he only drop 1 item? would Meph or Baal or even pit runs be more time:drop profitable?

also, is Pindle like the pit? that is, only worth running in Hell?

if the benefit can be explained to me, I'll look forward to getting my Cleric to hell act V so he can decimate all those pesky already-dead-but-not-staying-dead guys

2. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

Pindle runs are by far the fastest in the game, making up for his usually crappy drops (even with 300+ MF, I usually just get magic and rare items from him). No running around the vast expanses of Durance 2, no long, dangerous slogs through the WSK and Throne of Destruction. While Pindle may not drop the best, the sheer speed with which he can be run more than makes up for it, I think.

3. Milamber

Milamber Banned

Yes completely agree. You can load up on MF and still do Pindle in 30 seconds to 1 minute each time. So really it's time vs quantity

4. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Basically for anything you run, you have to consider 4 factors.
    How long does it take to run?
    How many items does it drop?
    What level items can it drop?
    What quality items does it drop?

Pindle gets an A+ for the first one (almost nothing in the game is faster); a B for the second (he drops 2 items each time, and can be horked for 2 more if you use a Barbarian); A+ for the third (he drops from the very highest TC, even higher than Baal); B for the last (he gets the usual bonus to unique and set drops that boss monsters get).

By comparison, Baal is C, A+, A, A.
    Meph is A-, A, B, A, hence his popularity.
    Pit runs are B, A+, A+, C, more or less. Bit of a stretch comparing an area clear to a single target run though.

They all have their good and bad points.

Oh, and as Pindle's main strength is the level of item he can drop, and that is taken away in NM (where he is A+, B, C, B), it is probably not worth running him there.

5. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

From what I can tell he is probably the 3rd best option for higher TC items (after Lvl 85 areas and Baal). True it may take a long time to get some good stuff from him but you can be sure it will be good eventually. But if you need many lower TC items hell meph is the best for that.

6. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Pindle's grade should be A+, B, A+, C - you got time and quantity mixed up. Spook_Cell, why 3rd? I see him as 1st. You can run him MUCH faster - and MF doesn't affect Baal's drops.

7. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

At least, you know who he is. I met a lvl 45 Paladin on Bnet with great gear who wanted to trade a Runemaster (unique Ettin Axe) and when I asked him about Pindle, the conversation went something like this:

me: Nice gear. Did you find this off Pindle?
    him: Who is Pindle?
    me: *smashes head on keyboard for running into another clueless lost soul*

--T

edit: @ Vajar: That statement is incorrect. MF affects every creature in the game (except maybe Uber Diablo who has no choice in what he drops).

8. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I think Pindle gets a B on quality. He doesn't drop nearly as well as an Act Boss, but he is still a Superunique and way ahead of regular monsters.

And of course MF affects Baal's drops. What makes you think it doesn't?

9. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

well, in all honesty, I had probably killed Pindle a dozen time before I realized who people were talking about. In normal & NM he is so easy to blow past on your way to Nilathak, that unless you know about MFing him in advance, you'd probably never notice him.

10. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

I was under the impression that MF only affects what Mephisto drops and that Andarial drops like his first death every time. At least it was like this in beta.

11. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

MF has always worked on all monsters since 1.09 (it worked after a fashion in 1.08 but not very well).

There was a stupid rumour (possibly a joke) started by a line on the Arreat Summit when the beta came out saying that MF no longer affected bosses. This was quickly proved false by both testing and examining the code. The line was changed some time ago after several requests from a pitchfork-wielding mob.

12. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Many of us run pindle because we have most of the lower level items (that meph can easily drop, and drop often). I hit that stage, and thus to attain some more top quality equipment, I had to find items to trade for that top quality gear. I also HATE running baal and pits, so Pindle was the natural choice.

Also, running in pundle in norm/nm is very viable, but not for MF. Many of us run pindle to level up in norm and nm.

crg

13. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

I hate prindle. I've run him hundreds of times and he has never givin me anything worth keeping. So i usually alternate between pit and meph.

14. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

Good point about leveling. I will say that I've gotten some very nice items off of Pindle in NM. Then again, my perception may be colored a little by the perfect Cleaver he coughed up. :D

15. nikstone

nikstone IncGamers Member

I have runned Pindelskin and Tresh Socket for two months now, at least ten hours a day, sometimes even 2 days without sleeping (i had some breaks of course).
    In the end I can say, I can see no firm patterns in their drops.
    They (Tresh gave me at least the same amount of good items as Pindelskin) can sometimes drop nothing worth mentioning in 5, 6, or even 7 hours. Those are painful runs.Luckily, those periods dont happen to often.
    Eventually, you can be sure of that, they WILL drop something good.
    They are designed to give those ueber items.
    On a few other occasions they dropped even more then 20 high TC items in only one hour.
    Its like a magical circle. If they dropp something, you have to pay for that by doing many empty runs, then they have to pay by dropping you something good and all over again, haha.
    I have now developed a habbit of changing the map if nothing drops for a longer time. If the new map doesnt drop either I change again.
    If I see that a map brings good drops ill stick to it until it stops giving.

Some of the things I said are my own superstitions and immpressions, but one thing is solid. They WILL drop, sooner or later.
    One suggestion. Dont run them unless you have at least 2 hours free time (altough you can get lucky in just a few runs, but dont think that will happen often - (only if you are truly blessed with luck, why not)).

Best of luck to all

16. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

If you only knew the Pindle running of 1.09... he was basically the only place to run for high end items (No pits or any lvl85's for that matter, Baal was much less popular). Your little habbit was a way of life for most of us who ran him non stop all the time. However, the drops were much different... you were lucky to even find one TC90 item in 10K runs.

17. Crazy Runner Guy

Hakai_no_Tenshi knows all about this...Stormspire anyone?

crg

18. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

I love and hate Pindleskin. I have found some really nice things from him and those that view the item find thread now this. However, there were many runs that produced nothing. I ran 150 hours worth of Pindleskinning over my break, so I saw this a lot.

Pindleskinning is like fishing. It is so boring, but you can land a pretty big fish :thumbsup:

19. Crazy Runner Guy

Ditto and very well said. IMO, those nice items balance the endless no-drops. Then again, Tekka runs PIndle with 760ish mf and I do it 681.

crg

20. nikstone

nikstone IncGamers Member

The only reason why I didnt run Pindel before was because I was playing the game all alone with no connection to the internet and therefore no information at all.
    I read the manual and thats it.
    If I knew then about Pindelskin, khmmm.... glad I didnt, 10K/1TC90 :rant: