Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why Pits? Tunnels are so Much Easier!

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Ting, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Why Pits? Tunnels are so Much Easier!

Everyone talks about the Pits so much, but the Tunnels could be more efficient for MF. Pits and Tunnels drop equally well, though Pits may have more unique monsters. However, Tunnels is much easier with no cold immunes and plenty of easy kills (maurauders, plague bearers). Using freezing arrow, clearing the tunnels is quick and relatively safe. With my lvl 80 freezing arrow zon I found an Eaglehorn at 180% MF yesterday, now I'm definitely hooked.

Ancient tunnels... try it :clap:

2. Gaff

Gaff IncGamers Member

One of the advantages of the pit is that it is very easy to find. So easy that I tend just to run there rather than take out the monsters on the way. I don't know of any quick way of getting to the ancient tunnels, does anyone else?

I think I will give it a go though. Ever since buying a gheeds charm I've not had any luck in the pit (I reckon I was sold a dud :) ).

3. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

hey there...in the time it takes to actually find the tunnels you can probably clear the pit a few times....take wp and a nice run down a marked path makes pit runs a little less frustrating......also if i remember right are there not dolls in the tunnels? that in itself will scare off alot of zons
    someone also mentioned that the catacombs or mausoleum below blood raven also have a high area level.....possibly the same as the pits and tunnels.....anone know the exact numbers?

4. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Sshh Ting! Don't let the secret out! j/k I run both but prefer the tunnels. I've found a lot of good set items there. There isn't any quick way to find it, but as they say, getting there is half the fun. I've had good things (shako,soj,etc.) drop in the Lost City too.

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

I agree that pits are far more interesting because the tunnels take forever to find in lost city (maphack die die die die DIE!),

6. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Well, there's no dolls in ancient tunnels. Never ever seen any, must be urban myth. Doesn't take me that long to find tunnels, I just run around until I do find them. The stuff that can chase you down (hellcats and leaping thangs) you can just hit them with once with freezing arrow and run off.

7. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

all derpends on build (what has this type of immune etc.) and how fast you can find it

8. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

I'd like to see a hammerdin in the tunnels...would not work.

9. himeji

himeji IncGamers Member

Only places hammers dont work are the narrow corridors. In Tunnels, the trick is to lure the monsters to open spaces and then hammer them down. I would say one of the best mf locations for hammerdin due to slow monsters, and with Vigor, the location in Lost City is easy to find.

10. Omikron8

If i'm not mistaken there is a zombie type in the ancient tunnels that is immune to "magic" damage ie. bone spirit, spear and blessed hammer

11. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Hammer ignnores Magic immunity on Undead and Demons

12. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

this is because it gives a 100% or is it 150%? dammage to undead which negates all the immunities they have.

13. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

yes... unless you're a animal type of monster who has magical immunity. a single monster like this exist in the form of a wailing beast in ruined temple, act 3, kurast bazaar where you do the lem esem tomb's quest

14. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

I tried the Tunnels again but only twice since the Pits seems better for my Stafeazon. There seemed to be more types of skeletons (no leech) and I had to use a couple of mana pots. No big deal of course but they seemed boring as well and the layout is awkward.

River of Flame is another nice open level 85 Area with no nasty monsters and I like to run that for variety. Hephasto has the highest chance to drop a Zod of anything in the game except Baal and Diablo and he's a lot easier to reach for a Bowazon. Odds on him dropping a Zod are a mere 1:3,072,532... let's go for it. :lol:

15. Sherlock

Sherlock IncGamers Member

My Spear-Lightning Zon with her army (Act II HF merc, Valk at lvl 21 and Golem from Stone armour) can do both of these areas quite well, much bigger problem is Burial Grounds and MAusoleum/Crypt as those locations are full of Light Imune Skellies and Zombies !

16. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

The Tunnels, as I have recently discovered, are great for a FA zon. I've been using mine to do Tunnel runs, mainly to level her though. She doesn't have any MF, but yesterday I did about 12 or so runs (probably 8 solo) and she gained 2.5 levels. So I'm not in it for the MF so much (although it'd be a nice bonus), but it is a very safe place to level. There are zero cold immunes, unless the Lost City spawns with the cold immune gargantuan beasts. But that's it...they're not always there, and there are never any in the Tunnels.

And in those ~12 runs with 0 MF, I have found one unique. A ring. Freaking Manald Heal.

17. Omikron8

Oh just freakin great, just when you thought that there was one mf place where a hammerdin does not rule supreme i find out that undead magic immunes STILL take damage from hammers. The only spellcaster in the game who is pretty much effective against ANYTHING. Heh and i thought the multi burizons were broken (overpowered) in 1.09, heh they are nothing compared to the overpowering effect of the hammerdin in 1.10.

18. simmk81

simmk81 IncGamers Member

still, hammadins are affected by fast cast and has a good chance to become swamped by tons of monsters in the tunnels and tight spaces. btw, hammadins though seemingly overpowered in pvm and pvp, they still can be defeated with proper skills or a particular nasty monster (glooms shooting off screen for example). oh yeah, fyi, maggot lair 1-3 are lvl 84/85 areas so hammadins best hang up their Hoto and grab start a vindicating there...

19. patheticloser

patheticloser IncGamers Member

I have a lightning zon, I totally own anything tht is not LI, but the LI's in the pits totally kick my @$$. I have not made it past A3 Hell with her. Are there a lot of LI's in the river of flame, or the tunnels in the lost city?

I have tried to load her with mf gear, got about 180% now, would I be better off to drop some of the mf and try to boost my skills?

What is the best merc for MF, I have an A3 cold merc now, using atamas wail (for the 20%mf) but he does not kill anything. He can freeze LI's and I switch to JAB and poke the LI to death. I am a bit bored with the A2 holy freeze merc, and I thought a ranged merc would have a better chance of staying alive. Has anybody had a try with an A1 cold merc?

Thanks
    Pathetic

20. GhostStealer

GhostStealer IncGamers Member

I prefer doing Chaos Sanctuary run, it's much easier and easily be found. :D

If you have lots of mana pot with you, you can LF even the LI rogues in Pit to death ( though you'll need to shoot them one by one ). That's what I did.

I have a act1 fire rogue. She rarely die. given the right equipment she can kill most non boss/ champion monster with ease. So you might want to try that out.