Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why on earth do people level their mercs up?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Origin, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

Why on earth do people level their mercs up?

When you can just hire a new one wich is close to your level?

2. KaNdeeKiD

KaNdeeKiD IncGamers Member

Depends what kind of merc they use + they get stronger and they can be higher lvl then u can hire them, like if u have a lvl90 merc and u can only a hire a lvl70 that is the closest to ur lvl

3. Starseed

Starseed IncGamers Member

Not to mention unequipping an old merc to xfer gear to a knew one gets kind of annoying.. then there's the whole attachment issue.. *sighs fondly thinking of Azrael..* I uh.. mean, they can be really useful in a jam.

4. ThereIsNoSpoon

ThereIsNoSpoon IncGamers Member

Because mercs hired on normal and nigthmare have more res, hp's and def when they reach the level of the ones you can hire in hell. Plus for example act2 nightmare mercs have different auras than those in normal and hell. And i think highest you can hire is only about 80.

5. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

Have you ever been killed by a rogue merc in duels? Once they get pretty high, the merc (or any other) can deal some decent damage. Specially with a wf , shaft/stone, gaze...

6. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

reading the contents of a post and not just the header is nice :)

7. DK7

DK7 IncGamers Member

Levelling a merc is the most mundane task in this game. I spent 4 hours last night getting my merc 20 levels, and I got 30 levels in half that time.

8. puckalicious

puckalicious IncGamers Member

Then you may have been playing in the wrong act/difficulty. I don't know if this is stickied anywhere but there was a post or FAQ about the Mlvl of each act area, if you play the areas that are closest to your merc's current lvl he will level very fast. I recently leveled my might merc from 50 to 70 in about 2 hours time while my barb leveled from 72 to 75 because I stayed mostly in nightmare diff. And don't look at it as time wasted, every kill equals more chances for some good item to drop (depending on Mlvl).

9. toader

toader Banned

It seems like one person has only slightly answered your question so far...so I will elaborate.

Say you hire a normal merc at lvl 18. Lvl him up to say lvl 50 or 60 something. Check his stats, then for a test, buy a merc in hell that is of the same lvl. The merc you lvled will have MUCH higher stats than the purchased one. That is one issue. Lvled mercs have more stats than hired ones.

The second issue is that some mercs arent available in Hell. Example being the might merc. You can only buy him in NM, meaning he HAS to be lvled up manually.

Hope this clears it up.

10. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Toad seems to be a Diablo guru :yep:

Well here's my two cents:

1. Not all Merc's are the same, each difficulty setting has different mercs:*

Combat/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Prayer
    Combat/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Thorns
    Combat/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Prayer
    Defense/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Defiance
    Defense/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Holy Freeze
    Defense/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Defiance
    Offense/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Blessed Aim
    Offense/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Might
    Offense/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Blessed Aim

*from the Arreat-Summit

2. The higher level the merc, the more powerful he becomes.

3. Well-configured mercs become an invaluable ally once they hit high levels (level 80+) for any character class / type / build

I have 3 level 80+ Mercs that help keep my top characters alive. This may sound silly but I cannot imagine not using Mercs, even though they die a lot sometimes and takes some effort to level.

11. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Why not hire new mercs all the time?

A Normal merc that stays with you until you reach Hell has better attributes than the same sort of merc at the same level that was hired in Hell. It's the same as training a puppy over several years or buying a grown dog trained by someone else for six months.

12. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Leveling mercs is my 4th favorite thing to do in the game.

13. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

No, that's not true.

14. th5418

th5418 Banned

A merc that lvls up to the lvl a hell merc is at has more health/attribute/resistance/

15. neophase

neophase Banned

Oh but it is true. Hire a merc at lvl5 and level him up to lvl85... he'll be a lot more powerful than a merc hired at lvl70 and leveled up to 85.
    And some people may be lazy in leveling their mercenary but the question is, how beneficial is the mercenary to your killing efficiency later in the game? I must admit my paladin can almost not survive out there without his act 2 might mercenary. I do 3800 dmg (3100 without merc), and my merc himself does 3200 dmg :D
    That's where total ownage comes in :D

Mercs ownz j00 :)
    - Neophase|k3|Lurken

PS. Cruel (236) Cryptic axe of the locust (7% LL), what should I socket in my 2 sockets? couple shaels? a shael and 40ed/15ias? This will be a nice new addition :D (Going from unq Hyperion Spear to cruel cryptic of locust).
    Comments appreciated and so are PMs. Thanks.

16. Jugalator

Jugalator IncGamers Member

Why is everyone replying with the same thing?

:lol:

OK, I'll do it too then:

When you hire a merc in normal/nm, the merc will end up with higher stats when it's, say, level 80 than if you had just hired the same merc in Hell. Also, mercs have caps to how high level they can be hired as.

17. incido

incido IncGamers Member

Merc gets speed bumps at the following ias levels with a Cryptic Axe (armor included):

5% - 8.5 FPA (Frames per Attack)
    11% - 8 FPA
    22% - 7.5 FPA
    35% - 7 FPA
    56% - 6.5 FPA
    92% - 6 FPA
    147% - 5.5 FPA

If you only got ias in weapon, go for the Shael and 40/15. Sounds good to me.

18. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Jug pliiiiiiz may I also post tha same thing pliiiiz ? :flip:

btw my merc hired in normal act 2 defense (hired with lvl 9) is now lvl ** and having a party with bunch of souls in act 5 :buddies:

19. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

As to lvling mercinaries my merc is lvl 89 now and im lvl 90, and i do pit runs to lvl him. He lvls FAR faster than me and has gone up about 5 or 6 lvls in the time its taken me to get about 1/5 of the exp bar full.

try lvling them in hell pit and theyll do nice.

BTW my char is a barb and my merc is an act 5 merc with Ethreal passion balrog blade, stone hellforge plate and a gaze with 7/7/20 stats socketed with an ed/ias jewel (i had it left over from an old 09 zon)

20. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Hi neophase pretty impressive but now it's my turn to show-off "a bit". My level ** HF Merc's damage when boosted by my Paladin's Level 36 CONC, does over 9K damage. Gear is 9% Andy's with IAS jewel, Glad's with 9% IAS jewel and 305ED Eth Bonehew with 2 Amn runes. Except when he's stricken by Iron Maiden, he survives almost any situation.

I cannot wait for my barb's might merc to catch up with my level 83 Barb. I put the runeword Delirium helm on him, Gaze and ETH Reaver's. Because of this might merc my barb is now the most fun character I play with. Every time the merc turns into that "midget undead creature" it is so fun to see him wreck so much havoc. Crazy damage. :D

Anybody here have mercs that do over 10K damage? I am thinking that a might merc with ETH versions of BOTD or DOOM might hit that damage level but that would mean that you are very very very rich.