Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

why not use bonehew?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by budgetcity, Mar 8, 2004.

1. budgetcity

budgetcity IncGamers Member

why not use bonehew?

i'm new to this forum for posting, but i've read a lot of threads and i don't see why people don't use bonehew for a PvM ww druid. My dmg is 7.5k fury with might merc and i don't use HoW. I really haven't seen much druids that can kill as quickly as i do, and i think my weapon is behind a lot of it. i'm guessing it has something to do with weapon speed or a lack of blocking, but a quick ww doesn't really need blocking in my opinion. u guys seem to be the experts, so i''d like some of your expertise on this one.

how about gimmershred for PIs?

2. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

Why not Bonehew?

Hmm... I could speculate, but remember these are only my unintelligent guesses.

+ It seems fast (-10 and 2 sockets)
    + It has prevent monster heal
    - It's good for an Act 2 merc, meaning it's trade value might be good and you could trade it for something better
    - It has no crushing blow
    - Requires 75dex (195str)

If you can afford to use it (im guessing it's repair cost is high) go ahead. It might be also more original to use a polearm (they are sometimes reserved for mercs)

Other choices might be:
    - Upgraded Bonesnap (Maul)
    + easier to find (even I've found 2!)
    - Immortal Kings stone crusher (Ogre Maul)
    + high crushing blow
    + easy to trade for (I guess)

edit: clarification

3. X4v13r

X4v13r IncGamers Member

Heres something i notice with druids or ww barbs. Even though there is no hit animation in the middle of a ww, you can still take dmg. Now that its 1.10, you can also block many more ranged attacks. Ever had a couple dozen monsters gang up on ya in hell? Sometimes your hp can go flyin down for a crappy kill.
    Otherwise, if your druid can take some hits, i dont see why bonehew is bad.

4. budgetcity

budgetcity IncGamers Member

i don't think block is a big deal, the only time i really seem to be in trouble is when swarmed by phys immune monsters with might/fanaticism aura or amp dmg cast on me.

bonehew is pretty cheap. i have like 7 of them and i'm not that rich of a player. i have an eth one that has 806 dmg that i'd like to zod.

5. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

How come nobody has mentioned windhammer ogre maul??

Two-Hand Damage: (215-254) To (296-349) (255.5-301.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 68
    Required Strength: 225
    Durability: 60
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    +180-230% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    50% Chance of Crushing Blow
    60% Increased Attack Speed
    33% Chance To Cast Level 22 Twister On Striking
    +50% Damage To Undead

50% chance of crushing blow + some gore rider boots, that make 65% chance crushing blow! Thats pretty damn good odds considering how fast the weapon is and while using fury. The only problem im having with it is the str req. on ogre mauls. Ive socketed mine and am going to put a hel in it.

This is my first ladder char and I messed up the stat points a bit, my char has only 2100 hps WITH oak sage =( ...Hes level 79. Not good for PVP definitely.

6. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

BTW, according to the calculator, Fury will hit 5FPA with the windhammer without even shaeling it. The hammer will do 55.6average damage per frame. How does that compare to other weapons?

7. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Correct me if i am wrong but with a windhammer and a sheal gets the 4fps fury, so does ik mual with 2 sheals. Also wile dueling with friends using our player vs monsters werewolf builds my ik using wolf all ways beat they're bonehew using werewolfs. Our only reson for this was because the ik was faster. So from testing that we have found that the str needed for ik or wind was well worth it. Well if we ever get the 6 socted giant theasher then our ideals will change

8. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

nope shael windhammer and dual shael IK fall short of 4 frames

2 shaels in an ik maul will lower the initial attack to 8 frames instead of 9 though

9. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

I thought a wolf couldnt hit 4fpa anyways? I thought the fastest it could be was 5, and bears can hit 4. Does that mean shaeling a windhammer is a waste?

10. 2JZ-GTTE

2JZ-GTTE IncGamers Member

When using fury I think the max swing rate is 6/4 because the first attack of fury is a normal attack and then comes the fury swings at 4 frames. And if I recall correctly rabies and fire claws should be able to hit 4 frames on a werewolf too.

11. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

that stuff about bonehew not being easy to find is rubbish, I've found around 12 doing hell mephisto runs :\

12. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

There is alot of partial facts or misconcpetions or statements that mis-represent things here.

To clarify, you areusing the speed calculator wrong. A windhammer naturally hits 5 fpa. However, a IK maul is faster though because the first swing is at 8fpa with 65% more total ias on the weapon. Windhammer would still need a socketed IAS to reach that breakpoint. Most expertz will agree that the first frame is extremely important.

9/6/6/6/6 41 % ias
    9/5/5/5/5 52 % ias
    8/5/5/5/5 65 % ias
    7/4/4/4/4 81 % ias

Also the IK maul and WINDHAMMER are tied sorta (not really, IK IK!!!!). However when you include a 4-piece partial set combo with the Maul your talking 1200+ dmg thats elemental. This takes care of any immune monster. The windhammer cannot do that. In addition, the set bonuses are extremely useful. Your talking huge stats, life, dmg, ar, defense, resitance, etc... Check it out. Thus the IK maul owns the windhammer anyday. IMO go with the IK maul becuase switching to a far inferior weapon mid battle to deal with physical immune is asking for a death wish. Thus shaeling a WINDHAMMER is techinically not a waste because it gains you a faster attack but you'd need a second weapon on switch.

The same is true with a bonehew. The bonehew avg dmg is not better than what an IK maul will output. In fact, alone the IK maul will do better if you consider the additional weapon stats. With the partial set bonuses bonehew isnt even worth looking at.

A Fury wolf can never hit 4fpa to my knowledge. Every post so far has said no. --------->
    EDIT: REPHRASE: A FURY WOLF can never hit 4fpa with a decent weapon to my knowledge. No post has yet to discluse such a weapon.

Also, a WOLF CANNOT hit 4fpa using fireclaws. Easiest way to explain this is wolf gets better returns early on with OIAS while BEARS get better results later. In a nutshell the animation for a bear attacks are faster than awolf. It jsut "seems" like a wolf is faster because you start with a speed bonus on werewolf.

Max block is a state of mind. You can not say this and that unless you know the build. SImply saying soimething is overrated is a mis-representation of facts. For a FURY WOLF, indeed, going block isnt that cool unless you've got an ETH zerker!!! Otherwise stick with the 2-handers because DMG is king on a wolfie. Thats what the entire build was meant for. Dont throw away a builds strengths. In this case fast swings with 2 -handers.

LASTLY, Im serious go IK maul. The setup is great. Not much beats it unless your talking BOTDs and expensive gear. But even then you gotta switch out to a far inferior weapon at times. DMG is king. But the overal effectiveness of the IK partial set isnt shabby. In fact its pretty insane for the cost.

13. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

What the? No that's very wrong.

I think you mean WIAS ?

14. Burnt_toasty

Ok there is only 1 weapon of hitting 4fpa. i guess i shoulda mentionted it but its like impossible to get. A cruel fanged knife of quickness getting 2 sockets. Thus giving you base speed of +-20 depending on site you looking at and 80% WIAS. If you find one sell it for 20 HIgh runes at thevery very least. The dmg isnt that great either so..... I dont consider it viable IMO. I didnt do a search. I knew that off hand but the weapon disgusts me. Dmg is pidly. you'd have to sit and wack them forever to kill them. Let alone range 1, ick!!!

As for the WIAS vs OIAS. Weapon Increased Attack Speed. Outside Increased attack speed. One is weapon based. One is outside the weapon.

15. FenrisWulf

FenrisWulf IncGamers Member

@Burnt_toasty:
    Tombreaver, 25% extra WIAS (total 85%). Hits 7/4/4/4/4

Just an example. Tons of Magical 2-handers would work (though I don't think these are in fashion any more). Griswold's Redemption. Fun Rare Dual-Socketed Swords (an Ethereal Phase came up a while back, for instance). Many of the old PvP Swords (triple-socketed), though not too many of those around these days.

16. Burnt_toasty

K thanks. Only knew about the fanged knife but are they viable? I think in the quest to hit 4fpa other weapons hitting 5fpa might do better still. Like a ethereal botd.

17. 2JZ-GTTE

2JZ-GTTE IncGamers Member

There are many weapons that can hit 4 frames on a fury wolf. In mep's guide he made back in .09 he listed many.

And glad to see you around fenris! :D And for your info magical two-handers are still in fashion, to me at least. :) I had to trade mine though.:(

18. mepersoner

Basically, (note, this is very simplified, it's a lot more complicated than this and there's a lot of other factors to include) any 1-handed dagger/sword/axe that you can get base speed + WIAS >= 95 will hit 4 frames with fury. Example, a mythical sword is base 0, so you would need 95% IAS on it to hit 4 FPA with fury. A phase is base 30, you would need 65% IAS on it to hit 4 FPA.

Any 2-handed polearm/axe you can get to base + WIAS >= 75 will go 4 FPA.

19. Burnt_toasty

What about 2-h swords? There was a debate about them a while back

20. mepersoner

Same as 1-handed swords.