Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why not shadow warrior?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Widann, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Widann

Widann IncGamers Member

Why not shadow warrior?

From my trapsin why should I be using shadow master instead of warrior? From the looks of the 2 skills they have the same life/atk and master gets resists while warrior gets defense bonus. But my warrior casts the same traps I do. What I'm not sure of is does he cast the same lvl traps as me. If my trap is lvl 29 and hes lvl 10 does he cast a lvl 10 or 29 trap? It seems to me while doing norm baal runs that a warrior is more useful to a trapsin.

2. bronzdragon5545

bronzdragon5545 IncGamers Member

its realy just ur pick what helps u more

3. Widann

Widann IncGamers Member

Ok, the reason I asked was because in the light trapsin guide in the strategy compendium it says use shadow master

4. Cambios

Cambios IncGamers Member

The problem is that your shadow warrior's traps count towards the maximum of 5 traps. So that doesn't really help you very much. It isn't like you can have 10 traps out.

You're better off with the shadow master getting into melee to distract the foes or hold them in one spot so the traps can work them over.

5. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

They've both got their advantages and problems:

Get the Shadow Warrior if having a more controllable minion appeals to you, one which you can usually get to drop powerful traps--maybe even better than your own. You may sometimes take time to control the Warrior that would be better spent placing your own traps or doing other things.

Get the Shadow Master if you don't want to babysit, and want to be protected so that you can drop your own traps in the perfect arrangement. You'll be frustrated sometimes when the Master uses skills you know are completely ineffective.

They're both really good. And neither one will always do what you want. For an in-depth discussion of their skill-levels and so on, click here.

Taking into account that Shadows' traps count toward your 5-trap limit, I'd go with the Shadow Master, myself. They're a pleasure to watch, for one thing. Also, I've been irritated by how difficult it is sometimes to get the even the Warrior to do what I want. But I think you can get good results from either one.

6. Cambios

Cambios IncGamers Member

My experience is that the Shadow Master has about 100 times the surviveability. The resistances are vital (as we all know).

The part I hate about the Shadow Master is the fact that she freakin' LOVES the Mind Blast ability. When I am trying to kill something and its slivered and then she converts it to our side, it is a real pain in the butt. I usually end up clicking at least a couple more times to attack and then realize its been converted. Annoying. God I wish I could just turn that ONE ability off from her use. I have no idea why they even programmed her to use it. It is such a pain.

7. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

If you can coax your SWarrior to use Fade more often, though, you can get her to partially make up for her lack of resists.

8. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

Frankly , a SW is as good as useless to a trapper. Since in 1.1 the total traps that can be placed = 5. And that's with the SW taken into consideration. If you just cast 5 powerful traps , and she casts another trap , you only have 4 powerful traps + 1 mediocre trap.

Then there's the fact that SM can tank like 10 times better then SW. The only thing that's anoying about the SM is mentioned here above. The MB thingie.

9. nivvy

nivvy IncGamers Member

With enough skillpoints the shadow master gets all rare equipment, wheras the shadow warrior is lumped with just magical. I think this has quite a significant effect on how good each summon is, its fun seeing the effects of the different rares the shadow master (mistress?) spawns with

10. FrolfFreak

FrolfFreak IncGamers Member

I agree that having a kill mindblasted away from under your claws is annoying, but my SM's mind blast has probably saved me more than it has hurt me. How? Well, i'm in NM now but revert to the careless way i played Normal once in a while. Often i'll be cruising along powered by Burst of Speed, and cruise right into a big pack of champions- or boss-led monsters. Before i can even think about hitting Cloak of Shadows or Mind Blast (my two panic buttons), often my SM beats me to the draw and Mind Blasts the whole mess. With a few converted and more stunned, i have time to retreat and plan a better attack approach. So i dig the SM.

-FF

11. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

Definitely. There is a thread in another forum discussing how the Warrior can be tougher than the Master when it gets Fade rolling. Quad-immune tough. :D

Like I said before though, I'd personally go with the SM. Still, I'd like to see one of those theoretical ~7000 damage Fire Blast Warriors one of these days.