Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why more than 1 in golems?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by galzohar, May 18, 2008.

1. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Why more than 1 in golems?

I keep seeing people suggest more than 1 in golems and/or their mastery, but in my experience there's hardly a point in doing so, as there's pretty much always a skill that will instead increase your killing speed.

Golems can be recast, and mana potions are very cheap, I don't see a reason to spend those skill points on golems when they can be spent on pretty much anything else - more CE/LR radius for nova necro, more bone synergies for spear/spirit necro, only exception is summon necro if you somehow try to get a golem to deal damage and/or make expensive iron golem.

Not to mention recasting the golem puts him right where you want him to be, so the fact he died to the last monster pack you were killing doesn't matter as you want to recast him to reposition anyway (assuming you actually need something to tank the current pack).

2. Krovvy

Krovvy IncGamers Member

Re: Why more than 1 in golems?

Expensive Iron Golems are all that comes to mind. Adding points into Golem Mastery will increase the life of the Golem so that doesn't die and waste the valuable item that it was created with.

3. Mitch Turnbuckle

Mitch Turnbuckle IncGamers Member

Hello,

Putting more than 1 point into any Golem is reserved exclusively for people who are either original, or think outside the box.

This is of course foolhardy and I would recommend against it.

Just follow the cookie cutter builds and you will be fine just like everyone else. Clearly there is no real reason to waste any more than 1 skill point on any golem.

4. Pandacious

Pandacious IncGamers Member

I wouldn't say "foolhardy" I'm sure you could still, do just fine.

5. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Wow mitch, awful hostile. Originality and thinking outside the box should be encouraged. One thing to remember though...

When you write on these forums, in general, you are asking for the advice of people with experience in certain situations. If you are wanting to build a 'golemmancer', and you write to the forum "here is my golem mancer plan". You are going to get alot of posts saying "don't waste your time on this, here is an alternative build". These people are not trying to crush your originality, maybe they built a golemmancer already, and it didn't work, so they are trying to tell you up front, so that you don't waste your time like they did.

If you are going to write a post that is asking for the viewing and opinions of a thousand people, you need to be prepared for what they have to say.

6. Mitch Turnbuckle

Mitch Turnbuckle IncGamers Member

Hello,

Wow, I cannot believe that you all actually thought that I was serious :shocked:

I could not have been more sarcastic If I had tried (which I did) :rolleyes:

"Just follow the cookie cutter builds and you will be fine just like everyone else."

This did not strike you as odd? Oh well, it is hard work playing devil's advocate :grin:

7. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

I detected the sarcasm, my post was not directed specifically at you. I have seen lots of people post guides or questions on the forums and then get discouraged or angry when the feedback is less than positive. What I was saying was a general statement, so I apologize if you felt singled out.

8. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

There's little point putting additional points in individual Golem skills, unless as has already been said, you are working on some sort of Golem project. The exception for this might be in respect of a Clay Golem, where you want to increase the amount of slowing your Gumby does.

Blood Golem - er ... nerfed in the current patch, good luck with your project!
    Iron Golem - increases defence (fairly irrelevant), increases Thorns (can be nice but again largely irrelevant)
    Fire Golem - too many points here and you end up with a ridiculous mana cost issue.

There is the issue of hard points that provide synergies to your Golem, but this is of minimal benefit to, say, a skellimancer, for example.

Golem Mastery is a little different, as it makes your golems tougher and with the FRW affect, more likely to keep up with a non-teleporting necro. There is an agument for hard points here, as has been said, in the case of a valuable-item or useful-aura Iron Golem.

The sort of plusses to Summoning skills that many necros are able to manage tends to make putting more than a single hard point in any of the Golem skills unnecessary. If your Golem is simply another distraction/meatshield, I would tend to agree with what the OP was hinting at in his post.

If you are planning a Golem project, well that's a whole different ball-game!