Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why is this legal?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by User Name, Feb 4, 2004.

1. User Name

User Name IncGamers Member

Why is this legal?

I can't seem to find a good explaination online, so maybe one of you fine folk might know.....

Why is it that if someone makes it ashore from Cuba, they can stay? If thier caught during the journey, they get sent back. As for Mexico, as far as I know, unless they become legal citizens they are not allowed to stay (even though many do).

why?

edit: what about people from Canada? Never really hear dof Canadian immigrants getting sent back. Maybe that cuz its not real bad there, but if it happened, what would happen to the person?

2. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

So many assumptions...

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Search under: wet-feet, dry-feet policy.

4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

It started out as a bad 1970s gameshow that flunked before it started and the premise just stuck because the lawmakers got drunk on margaritas and moonshine and totally, like, spaced on the... wait, what were we talking about?

5. Kitana

Kitana IncGamers Member

I don't think this is exactly the case... I'm remembering a huge story about a little boy that came over from Cuba and was deported... his name is escaping me, though.... ohhhhh what was his name....

6. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Elian Gonzales.

7. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Elian Gonzalez. I couldn't remember it until I put "cuba boy closet" in a Yahoo search.

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Elian, or something like that. Big international stink.

Edit: Hey wow, I was right. I was certain I'd be off by a couple of letters. Gogo useless information retention skills!

9. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Isn´t there some sort of Elian Gonzales church/cult in the states now?

10. User Name

well, even though the following quote came from cnn.com (I know how much many people here discredit them, but there must be some truth in the following statement):

"Under U.S. immigration policies, Cubans who reach U.S. shores are allowed to stay while those caught at sea are usually returned. "

11. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Linky?

10 characters!

12. User Name

linky :p
    It's the very last paragraph of the entire article.

13. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

14. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

First off, Google is your friend.

Secondly, www.immigration.gov is also your friend. (It'll direct you to their new page.)

Thirdly, here is a good transcript of your typical cuban migrant interdiction process.

Long story short, people fleeing Cuba are typically classified as "refugees" and are granted "asylum". Going back home they have a "credible fear of persecution", of which Mexican immigrants do not.

15. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

they have to apply for asylum and prove they were being persecuted and aren't just leaving Cuba to try and get rich, nobody else watched the Arturo Sandoval movie?

16. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

I was going to suggest the political refugee theory too. But why is it that a cuban isn't a polital refugee until he makes it to shore? Why isn't he a political refugee at sea?

Check the facts again. Are you sure a cuban is permitted to stay upon immediate arrival? Or do they get an interview to determine whether they are esposed to political (or other human rights) persecution? I would suspect that is how it works. If he's out at sea, he's not priviliged to an interview, since he's not on U.S. soil. Once he's on U.S. soil, U.S. law may bar sending a person back to his country if we reasonably know that he'd be politically persecuted.

As for being an immigrant, once you get immigrant status, you get to stay. I think you meant to say "alien" who are provided with a visa which provides its holder permission to stay in the country for a limited number of days or until renewal (example: foreign students w/ student visas).

By the way, this is a personal opinion, not a cite to a law source, so don't take my 2 cents too literal.

17. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

None of them should be allowed to stay unless they have a valid visa. Here in the Cleveland area we have a woman who just got deported back to Venezuela because her visa had run out some time ago. She has children who were born here (supposedly at tax payer expense according to the local newscasts). She has been on and off of welfare for years.

If she had a desire to stay in the US, she should have obtained the proper documentation. However, she chose to live here illegally and should be, and has been, deported.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but my tax dollars should go to US citizens, not someone who chooses to stay here illegally.

18. th5418

th5418 Banned

I thought that Gonzales made it to the US. However his dad didnt and Gonzales was being cared for by his uncle. His dad wanted him back. And i think that if people from Cuba make the trip, then the US lets them go because of the hardwork they did. :)

19. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

you and I both know thats bull ****, I only mention for the sake of everyone else

anyhoo, jimmyboy basically has it, you have to get to the US to apply for asylum and all that jazz

20. th5418

th5418 Banned

Hah, its called a joke.