Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why is this game so annoying?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by I-bring-realm-down, Oct 14, 2006.

1. I-bring-realm-down

I-bring-realm-down Banned

Why is this game so annoying?

All the temp bans, black screen after exiting (forcing hard reboot) Game freezing (forcing hard reboot) unable to join, realm down...you;d figure after so many years they would have fixed all this crap by now. Every other game runs fine on my computer. I just got the demo for Medieval: Total war 2 and I run it on the highest possible settings without a glitch.

I run oblivion on highest settings and get decent frame rates. I ran EQ2 on highest settings and I could play for 72 hours straight. I ran WoW...game would freeeze every 20 min or so (not a surprise here)

I have no spyware, viruses, ran scandisk, defragged, ran virus scan etc, nothing. Reinstalled diablo 2 about 3 times and it still runs like complete and utter crap! I think I will pass on any more games from blizzard, especially a buggy/hacked/dupefest which will be diablo 3 if it ever comes out.

/rant

2. Feetstench

Feetstench IncGamers Member

Ooooooh...

Please pass the Kleenex and a Cigarette.

3. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

I don't have a tissue, but I have a blindfold.

4. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Get a voodoo card or a voodoo wrapper then, works like butter.

5. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

Then why continue playing? It seems like you have a lot of other games you enjoy more...

6. I-bring-realm-down

Well I will stop soon since I am losing interest again. Once Star trek legacy and MTW2 comes out, I'll be done with D2 for a long time

7. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

I thought RD's where your fault? :shocked: (sorry just had too)

I prefere to think of it as understandable that d2 it getting to old to be played on the new computers, aka the ones "made" to play games like oblivion. The do and should have the capacity to play old games with ease, however they still aren't completly functional with them for some reason, new and more complicated drivers and so on ... When I upgrade my comp I'll save the old parts, just in case ...

One thing I think ain't to uncommon is old games speeding up like hell, the game Panademonium was such a case for me, couldn't play it correctly without cutting the cpu speed in half.

8. ael

ael IncGamers Member

You bring realm down... What the heck do you want? :grin:

D2 wasnt built for the modern stuff you have in your box. This game is ANCIENT, get a good ol` Voodoo card for it.

9. I-bring-realm-down

Time to set up my old P2 350 rig with 192 mb ram and 32 mb video card :)

10. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Jupp, would probably work laggless :laugh: well ok a 1ghz rig should probably not hurt to much :tongue: But it's also about drivers and such, hmm maybe you could have dual os on your new rig instead? just get a fix a fat32 hdd and install win98 on it and see if it completly crashes :wink3:

11. ael

ael IncGamers Member

The point isnt to have a crap pc, but to have a voodoo card/wrapper like merick said, as the game was designed for those.

12. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Not entirely correct

Diablo 2 consistently eats more than half a gigabyte of system memory and takes up almost two and a half gigabytes of disk space (that's if you don't play single-player). To suggest a voodoo card is necessary for this game to work right is the biggest insult Blizzard has thrown at us since releasing it.

I bought my computer in 2002, and the rendering still slows to single-digit framerates with a GeForce4 TI4200. If DirectDraw/3D are that bad, this game should never have been released at all. If you do release it, don't throw out ****ty drivers for the most common video adapters using an open standard then claim proprietary adapters, that are no longer on the market, are necessary to eliminate all the rendering problems.

I don't have a job, am barely able to buy food, and you're suggesting I take the time to scrounge through old systems at local computer parts stores to find an age-old piece of hardware for one damn game. No thanks, I'd rather just be correct in stating Blizzard screwed over a bunch of loyal fans. I just think it's amazing WoW succeeded at all given all this incompetence.

13. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

Like many have said, D2 is becoming old but it's still runs pretty decently on newer machine. My comp was bought in Feb. 2006 and it could run the game without a problem. You don't need and old voodoo card to play it but a voodoo wrapper could help. I tried one and it provided a noticeable increase in FPS and the game was running smoother. It was not without any glitches but it was performing decently well. The thing is, for some reason or another this game seems to perfrom a lot better when played in glide mod. As have read in a couple of threads, many people are of the opinion that the game was originally optimized to be played in glide mod and in this regard perfroms better under this engine than under DirectDraw. I am certainly no expert in game graphic engine but I can tell you that it certainly shows when you play the game in glide mod.

As for comparing WoW and D2, it's not a fair comparaison. It would be like comparing a Ford Model T to the new Ford Mustang. They are wolds apart.

14. ael

ael IncGamers Member

You dont have a job and money to buy food and you wory that you get low fps in a game? Thats a first.