Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why is my sorc getting owned?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by EngelZ, Apr 4, 2004.

1. EngelZ

EngelZ IncGamers Member

Why is my sorc getting owned?

Souls in hell totally own my sorc even with 60 light resist and 20 absorb. I was thinking of getting tgods as soon as I can equip my wizspike (15 dex to go) so i would have max light resist and like 40 absorb.

But with my current gear the souls do about 300 a shot and with their rapid fire stun, as soon as i meet one I'm dead.

Whats the problem? My resists? With maxed resists do they still do 300 per shot?

Or is it my life? I only have 800 life (500 base)
    Im a no-block sorc, blizzard. Level 82

2. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

They shouldn't hit you more than once. But yea your resistance and life can be a lot better, both. Do you have a mercenary? He can help a lot.

For singular black souls, or two, teleport on top of them so they do their weak melee attack.

3. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

When you're in the vicinity of Souls, 75% Lightning Resistance is highly reccomended. Physical Damage reduce will also help you quite a lot, but Absorb is better of course.

4. MalibuCA

MalibuCA Banned

souls are the reason why most of my baal runs fail

5. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

tgods is mandatory. if you can't get/use tgods, you can't do baalruns. maybe wisp projector is a substitute, but other mods on it make tgods the better choice.

max block, max resists, absorbs, phys dam reduce. use them.

the reason gloams hurt so much:
    they do their listed phys damage during bolts, doubling their damage and ignoring resists/absorbs.

the doubled damage is done each frame, each hit is 5 frames, so they are doing roughly 2.5k damage in one bolt.

energy shield does what it can, but when you have 0 mana it shuts off. you need 5k mana (at a 1:2 ratio of damage:mana) to survive 1 hit.

if you do survive, you can't tport away, as your mana is most likely all gone.

6. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

You're not too smart if you run around with ES and no TK...2.5k damage should take 1800 mana, no more.

I do not believe that there's a substantial physical damage portion to gloam damage. If there was, my Enchantress couldn't tank their damage at all and she an no problem, provided I use Thundergod's.

I believe what's needed against gloams is 85% or better lightning resist and +20 or better absorb. Thundergod's conveniently offers the required +max lightning resist and the +20 absorb.

7. Superhal

i can do gloams with less than max lr and tgods. i can't with LR minus tgods. my hammerdin without tgods, 90% LR, can't.

of course, both is better. which is why i am THE GLOAM MUNCHER! :)

i think part of the reason why tgods works so well vs gloams is the healing factor. at 20, 60 is actually negated. after resists, that's enough to heal you or keep you at 0 damage.

8. FiNaLoRgYkKzOn

FiNaLoRgYkKzOn Banned

question: how do tgods help? its not 20%...its heal 20...so i don tget it..i've tried it..it doesnt seem to help... :scratch:

9. Superhal

for every 20 points of lightning damage, 20 is absorbed (i believe it's just gone) and 20 hit points returned. this is ideal for frame based damage vs. single frame damage (such as a bolt from charged bolt.) in this case, you can take up to 60 points of damage (initial 20 gone, 20 hit points returned, those twenty consumed by the next 20 of damage) with 0 effect.

this is after resist. so, with say 50% resist, you can take up to twice as much (120 damage) without any effect.

when it comes to absorbs, straight up is better than %.

10. Superhal

oops checked my math. i guess it's 40 points you can take with 0 effect.

11. FiNaLoRgYkKzOn

FiNaLoRgYkKzOn Banned

how about the effect of tgods on soul attacks?

12. Superhal

gloam is the base name. black soul is what it's labled in the worldstone. i believe it's covered above.

13. deadbeater

deadbeater IncGamers Member

Find a paladin with salvation, or get a dim-vision charged item. Then walk over to the dm'ed gloams and laugh.

14. Tanatus

Tanatus IncGamers Member

Well cloak of shadow from assasin work a lot better ..... but with ~9points in ES (after items) ~50% damage to mana from nightsmoke and ~9 points telekin with ~40-50LR sorc can affored take 3-5 hits from souls w/o been killed. Best attack vs. souls 2k+ fireball from far and away they usually in packs and have low HP

15. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

It's very untrue that thundergods is a requirement to do hell baalruns. I do it without them all the time, only trouble i have is the lack of mana. If you teleport with 63+ fcr you won't get hit very often, even less with 105+%. Your statements are also overexaggerated, you simply don't take 300 damage with full lightning resistance for example.

16. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

I find the frozen river harder then baal if you're teleporting around. I use tals armour/belt/amulet and I get my extra 20 FCR to reach 110 FCR total and baal is easy as pie to reach.