Why is my Necromancer so easily killed?

happy_story

Diabloii.Net Member
I am currently on Hell mode, end of 2nd Act. My Necromancer is on level 73. I am using bone spear as my main weapon. My bone spear damage is 1457-1548. The bone spear is maxed plus i have 3 more levels added by my gears. The bone prison is maxed, Teeth are maxed, and bone spirit is almost maxed. My life is 905, my mana is 654. My defense is 240. When i first entered Hell mode, all my resistances were double digit negative. I had to sell my good armor to buy a crappy one with sockets just so i can add some resistances to it. I am also keeping few crappy charms that take literally all my space just because they add like few resistances. Now only the Cold and Fire resistances are in the negative. The fire resistance is negative 7, the cold one is negative 9. The others are positive but very low. I am now trying to find one more resistance rock, and i will sell my very good helm to buy a crappy one with two sockets just so i can turn the Cold and Fire resistances into positive.

I am very easily killed to the point i am getting very annoyed. I guess i don't have much problem killing monsters, but i am super easily killed. It's almost like i have no life at all. Literally 2/3 hits by almost anybody and i am half-way dead. Why are they draining my life so easily?? Is it solely because of my resistances or is it that my life is too low? At this point i can only progress forward using my bone prison to not let them hit me. Still, this style of playing is annoying.

Also, how do i kill monsters that are immune to magic? All i have is magic, so how do i fight monsters immune to it? There aren't much of them, but there were some zombies at the beginning of the 2nd Act. I had to run away from them, as i have no way of fighting them.

Also, i watched couple of these YouTubers with level 90+ Necs, and they all look almost unrealistic. First of all, their Bone spear is leveled up to 44. Their resistances are maxed, and their life is over 2000. They have super unique gears, all their charms give them bone skills level. How on Earth did they get all these good items?? I try to turn over every rock i see, and kill every monster, and all the charms i get are crappy. And i never get good gears too. How did they manage to find these good charms and gears? Is there some sort of a secret way of finding good items that i don't know about?

Any general advice would also be much greatly appreciated.

peytron

Diabloii.Net Member
A Clay Golem works wonders as a meat shield with just a couple points invested, and a few points in Revive should be enough to provide you with some security. Are you using any curses like Dim Vision or Decrepify for crowd control? There aren't many magic immunes around, and your mercenary combined with Corpse Explosion usually could take care of them.

P.S. Post your gear and your mercenary stats if you can.

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
How on Earth did they get all these good items?
They have played for several hundreds of hours. Also with multiple chars and then muling over gear etc.

I can show you my necro, if you want, that I have played self found. It is a summoner build and is just about to start act 5 hell.
Think he has died 3 or 4 times only.

happy_story

Diabloii.Net Member
A Clay Golem works wonders as a meat shield with just a couple points invested, and a few points in Revive should be enough to provide you with some security. Are you using any curses like Dim Vision or Decrepify for crowd control? There aren't many magic immunes around, and your mercenary combined with Corpse Explosion usually could take care of them.

P.S. Post your gear and your mercenary stats if you can.
Forget about that right now, i have an urgent issue and i need your help - I AM STUCK. I went to kill Tal Rasha, but when i entered the cave, the unravelers there are all magic immune!! There is absolutely no way i can kill them, i can't pass this freaking quest! I can't pass them. I tried everything. I have a very good axe, i used it but it won't work. The damage it does is too low, too slow, my dexterity is too low, and worst of all, the monster heals itself. I golem doesn't do enough damage. I bought a merc, bought several weapons and gears on him, but nothing. It can barely make any damage on teh unravelers. I tried with the corpse explosions, and it does seem to be only thing that can actually damage them and kill them, i killed one them but there is no way i can use that to kill all the others because there aren't enough corpses around them. I barely managed to lure the skeletons next to the unraveler without dying, then kill them, and then use the corpse to kill it. I barely killed one, and there are dozens of them! I can't kill them like that.

I went back to reset my skills so i can update my lower resist, but it's not working either! How am i going to pass this? Please give me some advice.

happy_story

Diabloii.Net Member
They have played for several hundreds of hours. Also with multiple chars and then muling over gear etc.

I can show you my necro, if you want, that I have played self found. It is a summoner build and is just about to start act 5 hell.
Please give me some advice on the situation i described!

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Get a good act 2 merc with might aura (you hire him in nightmare) and give him a high damage weapon and some life steal

in all necro builds, about 90% or more of the damage output is corpse explosion.

Lower resists do not work with magic damage...

happy_story

Diabloii.Net Member
Get a good act 2 merc with might aura (you hire him in nightmare) and give him a high damage weapon and some life steal

in all necro builds, about 90% or more of the damage output is corpse explosion.

Lower resists do not work with magic damage...
This might sound like a noob question but, how do i hire a merc with a might aura? How do i know if the merc i hire has that aura? Or is that an aura i cast? What would be a ''high damage weapon'' in your mind, and how do i find that?

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Act 2 nightmare "offensive" merc.

An easy to get high dmg weapon is Ethereal Insight. Farm act 1 hell a bit and get like a 4 socket Thresher that is ethereal (remember that you can roll sockets in the horadric cube (1 Ral Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst). When you have such, you roll the runeword "Insight".

A good weapon runeword for you is "Spirit" sword, or "White" wand.

Hell is not easy, you need some preparation, skill, knowledge and patience...

happy_story

Diabloii.Net Member
Act 2 nightmare "offensive" merc.

An easy to get high dmg weapon is Ethereal Insight. Farm act 1 hell a bit and get like a 4 socket Thresher that is ethereal (remember that you can roll sockets in the horadric cube (1 Ral Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst). When you have such, you roll the runeword "Insight".

A good weapon runeword for you is "Spirit" sword, or "White" wand.

Hell is not easy, you need some preparation, skill, knowledge and patience...
I have no idea how, but i did it! I passed the freaking cave and i killed Tal Rasha. The merc was useless. Even the most expensive merc has no more than 100 damage, and to be able to kill those monsters they would need a minimum of 600/700 damage, and there is no way i can find any weapon that does that much damage. Instead i used the corps explosion. I lured the skeletons close to the unravelers, then trapped them with the bone prison,
then killed them with the bone spear, then use the corps explosion to kill the unravelers. I took me several hours but i did it. I had no idea the
corps explosion was so powerful. It takes 3/4 skeletons to kill one unraveler, even a champion one.

By the way, i didn't know you could mix the rocks in the horadric cube. I thought you could only combine 3 identical rocks. What other combinations can you do?

Deuterium

Diabloii.Net Member
I have no idea how, but i did it! I passed the freaking cave and i killed Tal Rasha. The merc was useless. Even the most expensive merc has no more than 100 damage, and to be able to kill those monsters they would need a minimum of 600/700 damage, and there is no way i can find any weapon that does that much damage. Instead i used the corps explosion. I lured the skeletons close to the unravelers, then trapped them with the bone prison,
then killed them with the bone spear, then use the corps explosion to kill the unravelers. I took me several hours but i did it. I had no idea the
corps explosion was so powerful. It takes 3/4 skeletons to kill one unraveler, even a champion one.
Yes, excellent! Congratulations! Unravellers are one of the few monsters in the game that will give a bone Necro trouble. Nice thinking using their minions as corpse explosion fodder.
Now only the Cold and Fire resistances are in the negative. The fire resistance is negative 7, the cold one is negative 9. The others are positive but very low. I am now trying to find one more resistance rock, and i will sell my very good helm to buy a crappy one with two sockets just so i can turn the Cold and Fire resistances into positive.
Improving your resistances will make an enormous difference to your survivability. Try to stack resistances on pieces such as gloves, belt, boots, and rings/amulets as a matter of course. An armor that will really help and is easily achievable is the Smoke runeword:

Nef + Lum in a 2 socket body armor:

+75% Enhanced Defense
+280 Defense Vs. Missile
All Resistances +50
20% Faster Hit Recovery
Level 6 Weaken (18 Charges)
+10 To Energy
-1 To Light Radius

This combined with a few other pieces will almost single-handedly solve your resistance issues. Make sure to complete the Act V quest 'Prison of Ice' on each difficulty, doing so will reward you with a permanent +10 to all resistances for each quest completion. If you're not playing Ladder, or if you haven't found a 4 socket shield yet, both Ancient's Pledge and Rhyme are good stopgaps until you find an endgame shield:

Ral + Ort + Tal in a 3 socket shield:

+50% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +43%
Fire Resist +48%
Lightning Resist +48%
Poison Resist +48%
10% Damage Goes To Mana

Shael + Eth in a 2 socket shield:

20% Increased Chance of Blocking
40% Faster Block Rate
All Resistances +25
Regenerate Mana 15%
Cannot Be Frozen
50% Extra Gold From Monsters
25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

I'll echo peytron and recommend putting a point into decrepify for crowd control. Decrep pack, bone spear for corpses then amplify damage + corpse explode to clear dense packs. Always abuse bone prison, and if you find yourself getting ganked by dangerous ranged monsters a point in dim vision does wonders.

Would love to see him!

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice resistances/life/bone armor, solid merc setup too. How does the fire golem work out? :D
II was pretty lucky with the armor drops. Vipermagi dropped in act 2 nightmare and Duriels shell in act 1 hell.
Fire Golem I have no idea how he is working out, he looks fun ^^

Deuterium

Diabloii.Net Member
II was pretty lucky with the armor drops. Vipermagi dropped in act 2 nightmare and Duriels shell in act 1 hell.
Fire Golem I have no idea how he is working out, he looks fun ^^
Yes, great finds, always nice to see those two show up in solo untwinked runs!

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
@Deuterium yup in untwinked runs you really appreciate those "garbage" drops

The only thing that I "farmed for" was the base for Obedience for the merc. Not optimal since it has cold damage...
I got Eth Hone Sundan from Mephisto, maybe I will try to up it if merc can muster the requirements...

happy_story

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, excellent! Congratulations! Unravellers are one of the few monsters in the game that will give a bone Necro trouble. Nice thinking using their minions as corpse explosion fodder.

Improving your resistances will make an enormous difference to your survivability. Try to stack resistances on pieces such as gloves, belt, boots, and rings/amulets as a matter of course. An armor that will really help and is easily achievable is the Smoke runeword:

Nef + Lum in a 2 socket body armor:

+75% Enhanced Defense
+280 Defense Vs. Missile
All Resistances +50
20% Faster Hit Recovery
Level 6 Weaken (18 Charges)
+10 To Energy
-1 To Light Radius

This combined with a few other pieces will almost single-handedly solve your resistance issues. Make sure to complete the Act V quest 'Prison of Ice' on each difficulty, doing so will reward you with a permanent +10 to all resistances for each quest completion. If you're not playing Ladder, or if you haven't found a 4 socket shield yet, both Ancient's Pledge and Rhyme are good stopgaps until you find an endgame shield:

Ral + Ort + Tal in a 3 socket shield:

+50% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +43%
Fire Resist +48%
Lightning Resist +48%
Poison Resist +48%
10% Damage Goes To Mana

Shael + Eth in a 2 socket shield:

20% Increased Chance of Blocking
40% Faster Block Rate
All Resistances +25
Regenerate Mana 15%
Cannot Be Frozen
50% Extra Gold From Monsters
25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

I'll echo peytron and recommend putting a point into decrepify for crowd control. Decrep pack, bone spear for corpses then amplify damage + corpse explode to clear dense packs. Always abuse bone prison, and if you find yourself getting ganked by dangerous ranged monsters a point in dim vision does wonders.

Would love to see him!
Thanks for the info! I already completed all the acts. I am now level 82, and i am farming on NM for gems to re-roll a skiller charm. I am definitely too weak for Hell. My bone spear has little less than 2K damage. My plan is to farm NM and keep rerolling charms until i get my bone spear to at least 3K damage, then i can move to Hell and start farming for experience and for better gear. My current gear is too much focused on Life and Mana, as that is what i needed the most. Once i get my bone spear to do descent damage, i could focus on finding better gear and charms that give life and resistances. On NM i am almost invisible. I am definitely starting to think that it's all about resistances and defense. On NM my resistances are all maxed, and even champion monsters on act 5 can barely do me any damage. If i get an extra defense, and get it to 1K, i can literally just stand and they can't even touch me. Finding gems and rerolling them is definitely hard. For some reason i keep finding jewels and runes. I already have a full page of just runes that i don't know how to use. I will be using some of your recipes. By the way, can you tell me what to do with the Jewels? Should i even keep them? Happy New Year!

drmalawi

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the info! I already completed all the acts. I am now level 82, and i am farming on NM for gems to re-roll a skiller charm. I am definitely too weak for Hell. My bone spear has little less than 2K damage. My plan is to farm NM and keep rerolling charms until i get my bone spear to at least 3K damage, then i can move to Hell and start farming for experience and for better gear. My current gear is too much focused on Life and Mana, as that is what i needed the most. Once i get my bone spear to do descent damage, i could focus on finding better gear and charms that give life and resistances. On NM i am almost invisible. I am definitely starting to think that it's all about resistances and defense. On NM my resistances are all maxed, and even champion monsters on act 5 can barely do me any damage. If i get an extra defense, and get it to 1K, i can literally just stand and they can't even touch me. Finding gems and rerolling them is definitely hard. For some reason i keep finding jewels and runes. I already have a full page of just runes that i don't know how to use. I will be using some of your recipes. By the way, can you tell me what to do with the Jewels? Should i even keep them? Happy New Year!
Save yourself some headace and is consider not rerolling the charm. Chanse to get a plus skill what you want is very small.

You Always get Runes and jewels if u Keep playing

What do you mean "a full page of jewels and Runes"?

happy_story

Diabloii.Net Member
Save yourself some headace and is consider not rerolling the charm. Chanse to get a plus skill what you want is very small.

You Always get Runes and jewels if u Keep playing

What do you mean "a full page of jewels and Runes"?
Well how else am i going to increase my bone spear damage? How did all these youtubers get their entire inventory full of skiller charms? I have been doing this for about 3 days now, and so far i rerolled 2 skillers, one for amazon, one for barbarian.

What are jewels use for? Are there any good recipes with jewels?

I installed the mod that musn't be named, and my stash box now has a huge amount of space. I assume it's the same for bnet? I only play single player, so i don't know what's it like on bnet. The mod was supposed to simulate bnet.