Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why is my character so weak..

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Shaneperkins, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Shaneperkins

Shaneperkins IncGamers Member

Why is my character so weak..

I'm a level 81 hammerdin, yet I die in hell act 1.

I've got 71 fire resist, but a group of high lords in catacombs kill me in seconds, why is this? It happens everywhere else too, either something kills me in 1 hit, or after I'm done killing it I die anyway..

Thanks

2. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

What are your stats like?
    How much life do you have? At level 81 it should be at least 1000, maybe more.
    Do you have max block with Holy Shield on? You should be investing in Dexterity every level to get your block to 75%.
    Are you running Holy Shield all the time? If not, you should be.

You should also be using a 1 point Redemption to suck up all the bodies for life and mana after you kill things. Keep it on a hotkey, quickly switch to Redemption, suck up some bodies, then switch back to Concentration and move on.

3. Shaneperkins

My life is 800 something, I invested in strength and dexterity before my vitality.. I always use redemption, but my problem is when I'm close to the enemies and casting my hammers, they get to melee/cast spells on me, and the certain high level ones just.. beat me up.

There's no problem with my hammer damage, it's just the amount of damage I take, even with over 1,000 HP I still see it being a problem, because of the amount of damage they actually do to me.. I have something like level 9 holy shield with all the + skills, and nearly 3,000 defense.

4. mumba

mumba Banned

Thats your problem. Your life is really low. I have 3.4k and sometimes hell rips me appart quickly, so imagine urself with 1/4th that life.

I would suggest puttin as many points into vita as possible, and the rest likes strength and dex keepin at minimum, unless u already did that.

5. Shaneperkins

With the equipment I have on right now (Which isn't my final setup)

I have 192 strength, 161 dex, 167 vitality, with 881 hp.

My strength is so high because I'm aiming for Crown of Ages.

How did you get 3.4k HP? And what level are you at?

6. themachine

themachine IncGamers Member

I dont play pallys so I coul dbe wrong, but it sounds like you invested far too much into strength, especially for a hammerdin.

7. Shaneperkins

It's something like 174 base, so that I can use the Crown Of Ages.

But I realise now that with Enigma, I don't need anywhere near that.

8. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

Indeed, and for a Hammerdin, CoA isn't the best choice, this is rather a melee PvP coronet. Harlequin's Crest or a nice rare Circlet may be better for you.

9. Shaneperkins

I'm using harlequins crest right now..

Damn, looks like it's time for a re-roll..

If I re-roll, how much str/dex should I get?

10. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

If I were you I'd redo that char with as low strength as possible. 0 depending on the type of enigma you have. then wait for lvl 75 once anni and torch's stats kick in. and, assuming you have enough strength for enigma equip your stuff on. then add enough dext for 75% block with holy shield on, rest in life.

11. Shaneperkins

I don't have Enigma, but I'm trying to get it, so I may aswell use this character to MF for it, and then re-roll once I have it..

12. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

If you use an Annihilus, a Hellfire Torch, and an Enigma Breast Plate, your hammerdin will need ZERO strength :grin:. Invest just enough Dexterity to get 75% chance to block. All the rest in Vitality :grin:. With an Insight merc, you won't need any mana.

13. Shaneperkins

Annihilus? Calm down, I can't afford that yet!

14. Gorny

Gorny Banned

You should head to the Paladin Forum and look at the Pally guides - the Hammerdin one to be specific.

For a Hammerdin you should only have enough strength to wear your gear, no more or less. You need to sink the rest of your stats into Vitality is your friend here, followed by the other stats.

I admit, hammerdins are different from the days when I played mine, but the rule on strength stands.

15. bkwong

bkwong IncGamers Member

If youre getting enigma, go with a Mage Plate one. Like frosty said, you should not have to put any points into STR. You start with 25, you get 15 (average) from a Torch and 15 from an Anni, which gives you your 55 needed to wear a mage plate. If your Anni or torch is low, Maras gives +5 to str, and Shako gives +2. Or if you're really poor, you can wear str charms until you get better items. Once you have Enigma on, you can pretty much equip anything that typical Hammerdins wear (don't even bother with CoA).

16. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

As Gorny says, there are some hammerdin guides in the Pally stickies. Personally, I like this one. It's level by level run though.

17. mugana

mugana IncGamers Member

use this setup for budget hammerdins. Breatplate enig, maras, shako, arach, spirit sacred targe, spirit sword, waterwalks, 2x fcr rings, and trang gloves.

18. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

BTW that harlequin's crest (shako) that you're using now is better than Crown of Ages for general pvm.

You'd only need CoA in special situations, duelling physical damage dealing characters such as barbs, melee pallys and wind druids. Otherwise shako is better for the huge life, mana and skill bonus.