Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why is every "Anti-Drug" campaign directed toward marijuana?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by diablo loves donutz, Jun 5, 2007.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz Diabloii.Net Member

Why is every "Anti-Drug" campaign directed toward marijuana?

I was having a discussion with my mom a few days ago and it was about drugs and I started thinking, "Why is every drug commercial you see always about pot?"

If you've noticed, there aren't to many commercials trying to put forth the notion of not smoking or not drinking (although I think the implication there is that it's fine to drink, just don't drive), but the majority of them are against marijuana.

Now I'll admit that I indulge in all 3 substances above, but I never, and I mean NEVER, touch anything else. My reason for this is that most other drugs in my opinion are either very addictive or very dangerous. People have overdosed on heroin and cocain, but no one has ever od'd on pot (although I can understand the arguement for alcohol because of alcohol poisoning). There are also plenty of people who take pills and I know some people who do them and I can see they're very addictive. Another reason I'll never touch pills(not talking about Tylenol or other medicines if someone was laughing at that one), is because people can get BAD pills, i.e. die from them. Other things like mushrooms can be bad since you can have the same outcome or have a "bad trip" and be messed up for a while.

I just don't get why every "anti-drug" commercial is about pot. It's the least harmful drug in my opinion.

Also, I hate that a lot of the commercials put forth a lot of scenarios or notions that really aren't true. The cliche of "Hey man, don't you wanna be cool?" is completely false. There's a few more that were untrue, but I won't get into that.

So all I'm saying is why is there no anti-drug commercials or campaigns (while although I'm sure there are some) against the truly harmful drugs?

-Donutz

2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Because its the drug that is geting the closest to becoming legal.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

They don't go after Alcohol/Tobacco because those industries have to spend millions every year on similar campaigns.

Marihuana is targeted because so many more people do it compared to harder drugs. It is most likely the first thing you're offered.

The "Hey man don't you wanna be cool." argument is valid, I know a lot of people who smoke because of peer pressure. It might not apply to you, but you can't reach everyone with a single campaign.

4. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

First of all, I don't think that statement is true. That aside, I think pot is one of the easiest to get. Much easier to grow some weed then it is to set up a meth lab. Also, it's relatively cheap.

5. diablo loves donutz

Yes this is true, but I'll bring up my point again in that you can OD from meth, you can't od from pot.

I can only hope so.

About the last statement, this applies more to the person than the drug. Most people who smoke, when they're around people who don't, they are actually very kind and cordial to those people. Firstly, most of the times when you're smoking you're with other people whom you know also smoke or have smoked with before. Secondly, even if there is someone there who you don't know or know if they smoke, if they don't want to, most people are more than fine with that. They never try to force you to do it. The people who do that are simply jerks and were like that before they smoked.

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

That validates my argument. The commercial wasn't saying smoking pot turns you into some crazy asshole who wants to force people to smoke, they are saying that you'll be asked to smoke and there will be peer pressure involved. Don't try and tell me people don't say "Cmon, just try it, we all do it it'll be a bonding experience. We can be better friends" I've had it happen to me and the person asking wasn't even really a person I consider a friend(an acquaintance at best).

7. diablo loves donutz

It's really interesting though because of all the different factors and aspects that could make that scenario different though. For instance, it's probably more easier to not have to deal with peer pressure if you live in a small town/small school, and therefore peer pressure isn't too big of a problem. Although at a big school, there might be more of it. Also, just to clarify, there are many more people who are cool about it and won't pressure you in to it than there are those who would pressure you into it. Also, I'm not trying to be mean or crude, but it doesn't matter if someone tries to pressure you into it, you've ALWAYS got the power to say no, I don't care if you're too pressured to say no. Who cares if a few potheads don't like you, there are plenty of other good people out there.

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I feel like I'm talking to a stone wall here. . .

The ones who don't pressure you aren't a problem because they aren't trying to push a drug on you so why make a commercial about it?

Of course you have the power to say no, the commercial is trying to reinforce that albeit ironically because they are using peer pressure for the same effect.

The commercials aren't aimed at you, they are aimed at little kids. Just like Disney has after school programs with middle school/high school settings for the age ten and under group. It is there to teach them before the situation comes up.

As for legalization, you do realize it will have more laws than alcohol and tobacco combined even if it is legal to smoke.

9. masterazn

masterazn Banned

There is also a major crystal meth epidemic right now.

I personally haven't seen any anti-drugs campaigs lately. But that may be because I am in California.

And Kow is right, I think those ads aren't targeted really to the older crowd. Personally, I think my generation (currently 19 years old) is a lost cause.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

There are plenty of Anti-meth commercials here on late night TV, which makes sense. They show some pretty horrid meth mouth and such, but to be honest if you are hooked on meth you won't care.

Not a whole lot of people are casual meth users and all the commercials in the world will stop anything more than a very very casual user. The key is to get them before they start.

11. diablo loves donutz

I wonder if DARE ever took a survey of its kids ten years after they went through the program?

12. Star Dust

Star Dust Diabloii.Net Member

Those commercials are retarded.

EDIT: I did Dare, and I don't care.

13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I love how DARE tells you of the horrible dangers of drugs. . .and then hands you a McDonalds card at the end.

14. masterazn

masterazn Banned

McDonald's and marijuana go hand in hand. It's the only way you can eat it and not barf.

15. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

That would just be a waste of money.... the facts are obvious.:laugh:

Stupidest thing I remember about DARE was the assembly at the end where we had a guest speaker...:badteeth:

Wendy's > McDonald's

16. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I'm willing to bet McDonald's with marijuana before hand > Wendy's

17. diablo loves donutz

Haha, that reminds me of a shirt I saw when I was in NY that said "McDonalds, Over 1 billion stoned"

18. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Is there some urban legend I'm unfamiliar with that relates pot and McDonalds?

Speaking of NY and shirts... a favorite of mine is a "NYC doesn't love you".

19. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Let's just say that McDonald's makes a lot of money from being open late and there are speculations about why they came up with the dollar menu.

20. Lostprophet

Lostprophet Diabloii.Net Member

Because even saying the name of harder drugs might encourage kids to do them, obv.