Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why I'm voting for John McCain

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IntellectSucks, May 22, 2008.

1. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

Why I'm voting for John McCain

I don't know if anyone has done this topic before (I looked through ten pages and didn't see it, I considered it fair game), so here it is.

I feel that John McCain is the most honest of the three major candidates. He has taken unpopular stances (supporting the Iraq war BEFORE the surge, supporting McCain-Feingold and immigration reform, etc) and stuck to them, despite what it could have done to his political career. He has admitted many of his mistakes and admitted that they were mistakes. When can that be said for the others?

Though I do not believe John McCain is the best possible candidate when it comes to domestic issues, I do believe he is the best of the major candidates. McCain has pledged to reduce the corporate income tax from 35 to 25% to stimulate business growth, simplify the tax code and to eliminate earmarks (the practice of adding in additional items to spending bills AFTER the bill has been voted on). Though I do not think that his solution to reducing health care costs will work, I also do not think that the socialized (or single payer if you prefer that term) health care solutions offered by the other two candidates are good for the country or the economy at this time, maybe they never will be.

His ideas on immigration are sensible as well. Offering people who are here illegally a chance to become legal, tax paying citizens is not amnesty, it's merely acknowledging a fact. Removing the millions upon millions of illegal immigrants from America is stupid both economically and logistically. Giving them a chance to gain legal status and start paying taxes is a much better solution.

Finally, I agree with his stance on Iraq, even the infamous 100 years statement (which has been grossly distorted by Democrats). While I have my own doubts about whether or not we should have gone to war in Iraq, now that we have I feel it would be irresponsible to withdraw our troops before the Iraqi government is able to effectively police and defend it's own country. The establishment of a working, effective democracy in a largely muslim country would be a huge step towards combating terrorism and radical islamists in the middle east. Additionally, he has stated that he personally does not know how to run the operations in Iraq and that he would leave the logistics to the Generals and leadership in the field (if Bush had done this from the start, the war would have turned out much, much different.). This is the single most important point for me and regardless of his other stances, I would vote for him on this one.

If you feel that I am wrong on any of these points, or that the candidate you support is better suited, please state your opinion.

2. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Re: Why I'm voting for John McCain

Why I'm voting for Stephen Colbert:

We're screwed no matter what.

3. Gaenor

Gaenor Banned

Hmm every news-channel telling us, the Democrats candiates have the wrong gender or race.. I don't think that's a obstruction to become a president. I really hope Clinton takes it, but i doubt it.

4. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I still plan to write Freet in.

5. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I have to say I was surprised by the Democrats' choices.

Gender/race *has* to be an issue to voters; to say otherwise is naive. It's reasonable to assume that the Democrats would be more liberal and open-minded to a female or black (my apologies if that isn't PC enough) candidate, but surely to win they need to win over some 'middling' or Republican/conservative voters and I can't help but think that's going to be difficult with Clinton/Obama. Even Clinton's 'history' being enough to put off some voters, irrespective of the actualy *facts*.

It's going to be fascinating to see it develop.

6. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Bah, I think McCain's age will be just as much a factor as Hilary's sex or Obama's race.

7. Cheesehed

Cheesehed IncGamers Member

respect your elders

8. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Reagan was only two years younger than McCain. 69 v 71. Hardly spring chickens.

9. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I'll probably end up voting for him, even though he's really hit or miss for me.

I strongly disagreed with his so-called "campaign finance reform" (The only way to reform politics is to stifle free speech? Not buying it.), but he impressed me with his strong stance against torture (although hardly surprising given his history), and I agree with his "secure the borders then see about amnesty" stance on immigration.

(Also, my father is a hardcore Republican and can't stand McCain, so I figure he must be doing something right. :wink3: )

10. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

I'm writing in Ron Paul. I'm tired of voting for the guy who has "the best chance" of winning. I'm only voting for the actual person I want to win, regardless of his ability to win.

11. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

after listening to him in a radio interview this morning i'm going to write in Jesse Ventura :thumbsup:

12. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

I think a McCain/Hillary would bring a better battle for the top spot in Nov. Obama I feel doesn't have a chance, esp with the popular.

I'll be voting for McCain. For pretty much the same reasons the OP listed.

Some things Hillary has mentioned does turn my head, I feel she is more "Hawkish" than her husband. But some of her gun rights issues will never let me vote for her. Sry Hill...I hope ya beat Obama tho. :)

13. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Worthington_Peter/2008/05/19/5608716-sun.php

I think this is a good thread for this link.

14. SQUATMAN

SQUATMAN IncGamers Member

I will also vote for McCain. Hillary will not get the necessary delegates, so she won't be a factor. Obama I don't trust.

15. WzWz

WzWz IncGamers Member

Where I live, that's a euphemism for "I don't want a black man to be president."

16. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

Right, his extreme liberal stance has nothing to do with it. It's his skin color.

17. SQUATMAN

No that's not the reason. I just feel he's saying things he can't or won't follow through if elected.

18. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

Obviously not, it's because you're a racist. There couldn't be any other reason, not his policies, his personality, or anything else, it's because he's black.

Honestly, people.

I really like what the OP said about leaving the fighting to the generals. I don't feel that Bush did as much of this as the Vietnam-era politicians, but there was still some of it going around. I'd much rather it go back to how Lincoln conducted things:
    (Lincoln) "Can you win this war?"
    (Grant) "Yep."
    (Lincoln) "Then do what you need to do".
    I blame Truman for politicizing it.

19. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Fixed that for you.

20. SQUATMAN

I beg to differ knucklehead.