Why I like playing Softcore

Demandred

Diabloii.Net Member
Why I like playing Softcore

Well, I must say it was hard to stomach at first.

I finally got the urge to reinstall Diablo 2, jumped back into Hardcore, and quickly ran into two “brick walls†that soon made me rethink my decision to play Hardcore.

1. My laptop suffers from load lag at times, making it almost impossible to play in certain areas (at least initially, until everything has loaded.) Good examples of areas such as this are the Chaos Sanctuary and the Throne of Destruction.

Not really good places to be lagging, considering that’s where all the TPPKers normally hang out, and where I’ll probably be spending a good deal of game time.

2. The internet connection in my house is wireless, which means that if I don’t get load lag, I occasionally get internet spikes, which can be just as fatal.

After losing a Sorceress to lag in the Normal Jail, her remade version to NM cows in a moment of idiocy, a Paladin against Duriel (lag) and a Trapper in the Chaos Sanctuary (lag), it soon became painfully obvious that if I was going to be able to ever complete normal on a regular basis, I was going to have to opt for the mode where death isn’t permanent. So I did.

And, although this will sound odd, coming from the guy who wrote the HC FAQ and spent 3 years abusing softcore players, I rather like it.

I mean, it’s great to play and not to have to worry every second about whether you’re lagging or not, and always holding back from mobs, just in case everything stops moving. It’s a huge weight off one’s mind. The other thing you don’t have to worry about so much is TPPK. I haven’t even seen any of it yet, and in Softcore, it’s not really an issue anyway. So, you die. Big deal. You come back to life again. It’s not going to be a problem for me whatsoever, because I’m playing non-ladder, and don’t really give a rats arse about losing a bit of experience because of a death.

The other thing I’m looking forward to is making a dueler. I never got into duelling in the old days, because I never had the patience to accumulate all the charms, when it was entirely likely I’d just get killed anyway and have to start all over again. In Softcore, I can keep them forever, so I can just keep adding and twinking my dueler as I go.

And the thing is, just because I’m playing softcore doesn’t mean I can’t keep playing in the style of a hardcore player. I try to limit any deaths – and although I’ve died once or twice due to lag problems, I haven’t managed to kill myself due to stupidity yet (apart from the previously mentioned occurrence in NM Cows, which gave Jafrick ample opportunity to laugh at me.)

On the whole, I’m enjoying this. So, there you go. Feel free to laugh at me now, the floor is open.

rachil0

Diabloii.Net Member
I like your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :scratch:

No seriously ... I am also a HC vet that has recently returned to D2 and decided to play SC online. HC is awesome & fun in single player or over a robust internet connection, but it's self-flagellation on the steaming pile of crap that is my ISP. I got tired of being punished for a crap router, playing SC I have died once to natural causes (fana, xfast NM hephaesto) and four times to "connection interrupted".

We should play together sometime, I like playing with non-strangers and I need ethical SC friends to mule with (I am such an ethical friend). I play east ladder SC on *rachil0 (that's a zero). I have one player character, a 60 trapassin in a5 NM but would like to make a sorc soon to do first-drop NM mephs to gain some capital. Message me if you want to team up or something. :jig:

SC is the new HC ... you're so leet you don't need the red letters to prove it.
(oooh flame on). Oh come on, just kidding everyone. :evil:

WingBlade

Diabloii.Net Member
Dem, I will vouch for Rachil btw... both of u r on my f l.... I gave him your acct name hope u don't mind... even though I should have gotten your permission 1st. Sowwy.... :embarassed:

evils

Diabloii.Net Member
bwahahaha you also gave it to me.. get ready for mass /f m spammage demandred :p

nice to see that you are around again btw :)

PassThatChronic

Diabloii.Net Member
The reason i play hardcore is because i feel worthless after playing softcore. After you play hardcore so long, having a lv 75+ in softcore means nothing.
I am used to making new chars over and over, having mass stock items to use on stand by(<3 hardcore dueling). I guess i consider dying to be the great part about the game, maybe i play too much.

- PassThatChronic

Grockman

Diabloii.Net Member
My goodness Rach is back. That is newsworthy even if it is SC. I think if I didn't have cable internet I would probably play SC also. I don't mind dying from my own mistakes but, it really enrages me when the connection kills me.

rachil0

Diabloii.Net Member
Heya grockman :wave:

So fun to see familiar faces still around. Is there a misfits subgroup in action or have they moved on to GW and WoW? I am going to play more casually for now but I'd like to drop in on untwinked misfit action if any of that is going on. They gotz my back when I lagz. :thumbsup:

Demandred

Diabloii.Net Member
Rachil0 = Rachelene?

Surely not. That old french fart couldn't last 5 minutes without throwing in frogspeak, or mentioning the word cajones.

I think I'm just confused.

Anyways Rachil, feel free to message me anytime you see me online, and I'm more than happy to meet up for some questing. Maybe we'll convert this forum yet...

Edit: Wingblade, feel free to give anyone who's a reputable SC player my account name, I don't mind in the slightest.

tomatoman

Diabloii.Net Member
I liked not having to hold back anything in sc, and being able to duel freely.

rachelene's last activity on the forum was 2 years ago. (member list :p)

AnubisXy

Diabloii.Net Member
I too recently reinstalled, jumped right into HC, and then after two deaths to TPPK went to SC. :(

It's not as much fun, but until Blizzard fixes TPPK HC isn't worth it. I don't know anyone on USWEST anymore, and public games after normal don't exist. Used to hang out in the GAT channel, but that seems to be gone.

SC is funny, it's hilarious how often people die. I do want to play HC, but the hax and lack of legit players are too much. :( Maybe I'll roll on East and check out the bannana channel.

Rekoc

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow misfits...now thats something I havent heard about in a LONG time. But the new misfits I guess would be xbananax...except without the protection ... meaning anyone can join the channel.

SmilingEvil

Diabloii.Net Member
I remember the Misfits... and GAT... wow. Old times.

Hey you guys who just recently came back, just like me :) I'm back in HC again, though...

Right now my only account is *ShadowsAndChaos though I'm probably going to make a SmilingEvilBtK account some day to strike fear into the hearts of people in Normal once again :)

Cleglaw_Himself

Diabloii.Net Member
Bwahahahaha. Softcore nubs!! :grin:

I tried to play sc a while back, but couldn't stand seeing fifty deaths an hour, and having to type lol all the time when they died... :shocked:

turnips

Diabloii.Net Member
They both have their good aspects. People on Softcore are far kinder in general (I'm serious) than on Hardcore. It's more of a multiplayer oriented game on Softcore. Hardcore generally has older//more serious players. I played Softcore for a month since coming back but just gave all the stuff I accumulated away and now just play Hardcore...until I get bored of the game again(very soon).

windwingwind

Diabloii.Net Member
I found that it's much more difficult to trade in HC. This is due to the face that not only there's no public trade game available, but also there'r so few traders in the HC trade forum.

tomatoman

Diabloii.Net Member
theres a great forum for hc trading elsewhere, cant link to it because it encourages non-legit play, but its the only way a lot of us legit players can trade at all, google around youll probably come across it.

LuckyDwarf

Diabloii.Net Member
I love softcore, as I have a 95 hammerdin, 92 blizzer, 87 javazon, and a 82 orb sorc there. Nonladder though, as I don't play there much, and have accumulated all that over a matter of years. It's fun to not worry about death, but I don't think I've died more than once or twice on any of those characters.

Lucky

Grockman

Diabloii.Net Member
Heya grockman :wave:

So fun to see familiar faces still around. Is there a misfits subgroup in action or have they moved on to GW and WoW? I am going to play more casually for now but I'd like to drop in on untwinked misfit action if any of that is going on. They gotz my back when I lagz. :thumbsup:
There are a couple of ex-misfits back, however we are sort of scatered. op xxbananaxx seems to be the new place. The original Misfits are as you mentioned in GW and WoW as I was before I got burned out on it. Didn't try GW but I had a buttload of 60's in WoW Horde and Alliance side.

Enjoying making lots of different toons in HC as I used to like to do in days gone by. Unfortunately I'm going to have to start mf'ing again to equip all the mercs I'm accumulating.