Why I can't have more than 4 mages?

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
I am playing my necro, IndianaBones and levelling up Raise Skeletal Mage because every inch of damage is helpful. :) I can't raise more than 4 of them. My skill levels allows me to safely raise 5 at once. Switch-set allows for 6th one but he will be destroyed when I switch back to my general use wand + head set. My skill levels are: 10 (regular set) / 12 (summon set). I am always summoning with my summon set and yet the 5th mage is destroyed when I switch back to regular set.

Can anyone help me? :) Is this a bug or so? I am playing 1.14d, without any other mods.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
The formula is slvl/3 +2 for both mages and normal skellies. If you have slvl 12, this becomes 12/3 +2 = 6 mages. When you switch, the formula becomes 10/3 +2 which is 5. So there should be a max of 5 when switching back. Does this happen for the normal skeletons?

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
The formula is slvl/3 +2 for both mages and normal skellies. If you have slvl 12, this becomes 12/3 +2 = 6 mages. When you switch, the formula becomes 10/3 +2 which is 5. So there should be a max of 5 when switching back. Does this happen for the normal skeletons?
No. Regular skeletons are slvl 27 and 28 (curse wand / summon wand). If I had summoned 6 mages, two of them disappear when I switch back to regular set. But I think that I should have 5 instead, not 4. I have placed more points to have 5 skele-mages available on both sets so none of them should disappear when 5 would be summoned.

Edit: forgot to note that my switch-head has +1 to summon mage. And +2 to all skills. Maybe that +1 bugs my mages.

Last edited:

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
On main set: Ume's Lament (+2 to all skills) + rare sexton trophy (+2 to summoning)
Switch: Golemlord's wand (+3 summoning) + Mojo head (+2 summoning, +1 raise skeletal mage staff mod)

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Very weird. That should only unsummon one mage when switching. The sexton trophy, do you meet the str req without other equip? Excluding charms?

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes. My base strength is 110 and I've got +15 to strength from all equipment (charms give totally +10, partial bonus for Arctic Gear set - belt and armor - +5 ). I am even overgeared and might respec in late hell to just 100 str with bonuses.

Edit:
Experimented a bit. I throwed on the ground the switch head and summoned a mage from my main set. When I switched to switch set, he stayed. Seems that this +1 raise mage bugs them. Same problem occurs when I just switch the heads (so switch one is the main one).

Edit 2:
Lvl 79 now ! I have upgraded mages to lvl 11 / 13 . Now the 5th mage stays and 6th one (on switch set) is destroyed when I switch. I will post any behaviour of mages if I raise my slvl. :)

Last edited:

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Perhaps a part of the bonus isn't applied for a while during the switch, i.e. the skill level went down by more than the difference. That makes sense, just like your feet being exposed for a few seconds when changing socks.

The fifth mage isn't lost anymore at level 13/11, so the skill level dropped to 8 before and now to 9. It's either the weapon or the shield. What happens with a +4 weapon and no shield? What with no weapon, but a +4 shield (e.g. Splendor in a +3 head)?

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
Perhaps a part of the bonus isn't applied for a while during the switch, i.e. the skill level went down by more than the difference. That makes sense, just like your feet being exposed for a few seconds when changing socks.

The fifth mage isn't lost anymore at level 13/11, so the skill level dropped to 8 before and now to 9. It's either the weapon or the shield. What happens with a +4 weapon and no shield? What with no weapon, but a +4 shield (e.g. Splendor in a +3 head)?
I don't have that big bonuses :) Ume's provide +2 to all skills and head +2 to summoning. Switch: wand +3 summoning, head +2 summoning AND +1 to mage. I also have +1 necro summon skiller GC. I will test these scenarios later as I am progressing slowly through hell. Really slowly. PI enemies are like NM Baal in their dying speed.

Edit: Now I can sustain 6 mages on my regular set but 6th one is dying after switch.

Edit 2: I used the Den of Evil reward for improving my mages. And the bug strikes again. Now I cant have more than 4 mages... maybe I should try to reroll the head to get only mojo / golemancer bonus and get off the +1 to mages?

Edit 3: When I summoned 5th one with my regular set, he stayed. When I summoned 6th with either of them, none of them stayed. So I can have now 4 stronger mages and 1 a bit weaker.

Last edited:

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
Could try it tomorrow though I should reroll / imbue a better summon-head (+2 if rare, +3 if rerolling magical)

d2fan

Diabloii.Net Member
+3/+3sm +3skel is only possible if you get a 1.07 magic highlvl head cubed with 3 pgems to ilvl 1 and then rerolling in 1.10+

if you dont want that hassle you can just find a white one in darkwoods with +3 SM and maybe +3 skels (its rare) and socket splendor in

or just use spirit, since CE will be your maindamage

and rolling a rare head to ilvl 1 just to get effectively +5 skel is imo just a waste of skulls (since +4 skels / SM is basicly free)

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
I prefer having all skills on main set and at least +summons on switch :) I hope to get Arm of King Leoric just for the skeletons. I should respec out of mages. They're not helping in Hell. Good supports in normal and nightmare modes but in hell, they're mostly slowing me down a bit.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
A few mages with poison might be good to stop enemy regen. The other ones, not really worth it.

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
A few mages with poison might be good to stop enemy regen. The other ones, not really worth it.
I am using a mix of them. They act as a meat shields. And they're my only non-physical dmg source (except CE, which requires corpse to work). Had in NM Throne a PI enemy which stayed PI after AD so had to cast Lower Resist and watched how my mages were slowly killing him. As far as I remember, that PI guy dropped an unique. :)

Also, CG with 8200 life is probably an immortal one. If only I could give him x100 dmg that would be nice. Wanted to respec for IG but he has about 2700 hp, even at lvl 20. That's a bit low, maybe next summonmancer would be IG-based. The items are not a problem - I have a lot of gold and I can even gamble the shit out of Gheed to make a shitload of IGs xD

RadTang

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm playing a non-ladder char, SP, , no RWM. So no Insight for me. Just replaced Hwanin's Justice for Honor in Superior Yari (rolled with small dmg bonus). At last, a bit of Life Steal for my merc !

Last edited by a moderator: