Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why Hunger?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Dimmu Borgir, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Dimmu Borgir

Dimmu Borgir IncGamers Member

Why Hunger?

I've heard talk of Hunger Bear builds here and there, and I was just wondering, why? Sure it gives massive life and mana leech, but why use this as a main attack skill? The -75% damage on it doesn't look that appealing to me. Unless I'm mistaken on some other way to get good damage out of it.

I do realize though, that its really easy to reach IAS breakpoints with it.

2. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I wrote a Hungry Bear guide, and I can tell you, they're super-duper-uber.

First thing's first- that -75% damage. Yes, this looks like a big drawback... but it doesn't reduce *ALL* damage by 75%, only final physical damage. Elemental damage, Open Wounds damage, and Crushing Blow damage are both left untouched (among other damage types). So what do you do? You create a Bear with tons of elemental damage and crushing blow! Hunger's biggest drawback is suddenly entirely negated, and instead Hunger becomes a skill that just adds ridiculous levels of leech (a slvl20 Hunger is the same as having 40% dual-leech on a standard melee character). And since it's leeching so much, it makes you very, very safe.

The big thing that pushes Hunger over the top, though, is speed. It's not that Hunger is "easy to reach IAS breakpoints with", it's that Hunger is MINDBLOWINGLY FAST. My Hunger bears rarely leave town with a slower than 5 frame attack (and usually have a 4-framer). Hunger Bears are one of the best bosskillers in the game, since they can very easily trigger 6 crushing blows per second.

In the end, Hunger = a blazing fast attack that will deal ridiculous amounts of crushing blow and carry any elemental damage you have undiminished. The entire build can be completed in just 7 skill points, to boot. Oh, and did I mention that you'll be leeching like nobody's business? You've got a big, fast, high-damage, high-leech tank capable of standing around thwacking anything that comes near with impunity.

PM me if you want details on how to build a Hungry bear of your own. Like I said, they're uber.