Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WHY get every single CURSE?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by OmniCide, Jul 6, 2010.

1. OmniCide

OmniCide IncGamers Member

WHY get every single CURSE?

i've noticed that everyone recommends or already did get every single curse necro has.
    and my question is which curse you use and where?

before that, allow me to show what i have.
    well, my summoner nec is lvl89 and i got amp and decreptify. so only 4pts total.
    obviously, amp for my skellies and corpse explosion and dec. for bosses.

i run countess, pit, act3 councils, act5 eldrich and shank, and nihlatak.
    sometimes, i do masolium, baal, andy or mephy.

and i find no problem what so ever with just using amp and decre.
    i got a wand with attract for my switch just in case, but i nver really use it.

SO, my question for you guys out there is,
    why did you get everything? and which one and where you use?

2. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Re: WHY get every single CURSE?

I never get every curse to be honest its usually just AD unless Im a poison necromancer in which case I use Lower resists.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot IncGamers Member

A lot of people like Attract for crowd control, and Lower Resist for unbreakable physical immunes. If you want both of those spells, the rest of the curse tree is a prerequisite.

4. TurtleBay

TurtleBay IncGamers Member

Not to mention... what else are you going to use the points for. Lower resist and attract are both situational one point wonders. No reason not to have those two given that there are so many skill points left over after maxing Corpse Explosion, Raise Skeleton and Skeletal Mastery.

5. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

I don't get attract or confuse, but I usually do get Dim Vision. Here's a rundown of why/where I use each curse.

Amp Damage: Basic curse, use it against most monsters.
    Dim Vision: If you have 20 it's for crowd control. If you have 1, it's for stopping Frenzytaurs from ripping through your skeletons.
    Weaken: Don't use it, but it's a pre-req.
    IM: See Weaken.
    Terror: Unblock a bottleneck so my skeletons can get into a room.
    Life Tap: The ultimate Ubers curse. If you play SP, it's still good against act bosses.
    Decrepify: The curse you will most often use against act bosses. I also use it on anything faster than my skeletons to slow them down.
    Lower Resist: After I have a couple corpses, I use this on all PIs. Boosts CE damage more than Amp Damage does against PIs.

6. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

BECAUSE sometimes they are USEFUL.

7. Millipede

Millipede IncGamers Member

lower resist breaks physical immunes? or do you just use it for the extra fire damage?

8. Kalkanor

Kalkanor IncGamers Member

extra fire damage

9. OmniCide

OmniCide IncGamers Member

i maxed bone spear and right now lvling bone spirit.
    yes i know that it isnt that strong. it's doing abt 470~570?
    but whatelse r you gonna do when u face Phy. immunes or bosses.

i mean, u can max skel mages and use lower res. i'm not saying that's wrong or anything. but i just like being able to do dmg myself other than my minions.
    i'm not exactly sure how much dmg skel mages put out, but even if mages are far better than bone spear, i'd still choose bone spear just cuz i can do something.

also one quick question, does marrowwalk's bone prison synergy still apply?
    cuz i know it did, but not sure abt it right now.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot IncGamers Member

With mages it depends on what level you have them and skeleton mastery at. With the exception of the poison ones which are near useless due to the long timer on the poison damage, skeletal mages aren't that bad. If you have respectable +skill gear (like say +10 to summoning), you can easily have mages hitting for about 250 per pop. That's not much individually, but a volley from a dozen of them is significant.

I think the damage you get from mages is more than the damage you'd get from bone spear without much investment in the synergies, even if you have a lot of FCR gear.

AFAIK, they removed the synergy on Marrowalks.

11. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Not burn my own mana. Amp Damage breaks physical immunes, so use that until you start your CE chains. It's slow, but doable. If you have mages, then you might opt for simplicity and just use LR.

If you already have maxed SM, then maxed mages will result in each 2 mages or so doing as much damage as a half-synergized bone spear. Further, you're not doing nothing. You're re-casting curses as your skeletons target more enemies (or as short-lasting curses like Decrip wear off), moving around to pull your mages into the fight (or telestomping and running around after to avoid getting smacked), and as soon as the first corpse drops you're casting CE.

The only purpose for Bone Spear in any sumoning build is to put a ranged attack in your left-click slot so you don't charge into melee in the event you accidentally left-click an enemy. Teeth is probably better for that.

It hasn't for a while.

12. HuggaBear

HuggaBear IncGamers Member

I thought lower resist didn't affect poison?

Marrowwalk bug is gone, it no longer counts towards synergy.

As others have said, lower resist and attract are key and the rest are prereqs, dim vision and decrepify are of course useful and others are situtaional (confusion can be useful). So it's a fair use of points, there's always some points left over and they're useful, not only alone but also in parties.

Other than that, putting points in bone prison then bone wall is your only real option, +skillers make maxing curses pointless and as has been said putting a few points into bone/poison attacks is nowhere near worth it.

13. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

^ LR does affect poison, you're thinking of Conviction which doesn't. It would be pointless if it didn't, seeing how the Necro lacks any sort of Fire/Lightning/Cold spells. :p

[edit] Random thought: the Necro doesn't have any physical damage either... :scratchchin: I guess my logic is flawed. :3

14. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Of course LR affects poison. It doesn't affect Magic anymore, though.

EDIT: Ninja'd

15. HuggaBear

HuggaBear IncGamers Member

CE is 50/50 fire and physical :p

Must've been thinking of conviction, thanks for the clear up ^^

16. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

Uber tristram.

If you run ubers with a friend or alone sometimes you'll want life tap.

You also want a crowd control curse (dim vision or attract).

Other than that, you only need AD, decrep and Dim vision for the entire game.

17. binarypirate

binarypirate IncGamers Member

Amplify Damage : Causes 100% Increased Damage. We all know what this is for. Use this to beak Physical immunes and increase Skelly/Merc/CE damage.

Dim Vision : Shortens the range of vision of monsters. Very useful. Renders Archers/Souls/Slingers completely harmless.

Weaken
    : Really just used as a perquisite for Decrepify. It lowers the damage Enemies put out, but Decrepify does this better anyways. It is rarely useful.

Terror
    : Makes monsters run away in fear . Same as Weaken, except slightly more useful. If you are in a tight spot this might help, but usually necromancers do not have that problem.

Confuse : Causes monsters to attack the closest target, whatever it may be. Too random to be useful, and unlike attract it can be overridden.

Iron Maiden : Causes monsters to effectively hit themselves. A great curse for PvP, but not very useful for anything else
    (Unless you stack ti with Thorns and basically build around the entire curse. But even then It doesn't work on Missiles or Magic. )

Life Tap : Causes 50% LL. Great for keeping your merc alive, and sometimes skellies if they are having a tough time surviving. For a necromancer, this isn't really that great. However, it does work absolute wonders with other Melee classes.

Attract : Causes all monsters nearby to attack one monster that you cursed. Only effects one monster per cast, and it does not work on bosses/uniques. Fantastic Crowd control. Nuff Said.

Decrepify: Slows/Weakens attacks/Increases damage taken all by 50%. Fantastic curse that renders most monsters (and all bosses) relatively harmless. This is the bread and butter of all curses.

Lower Resis
    t : Reduces monsters resistances (That does NOT include Physical resistances). Effectively a spammable AoE Conviction. Very nice for Poison Necros/Mages/pretty much any elemental damage dealer.

So, as you can see, a lot of curses are useful, and the ones that are not used are prerequisites for the good ones. Most often, the only curses that are not used are Iron Maiden, Life Tap, and Lower Resist. Simply because the common necro builds like Fishymancer/Summoner/Bonemancer rarely(If ever) use them.

I hope I have helped clear up some speculation. Of course, everything above relating to their usefulness is simply my opinion.

18. XCodes

XCodes IncGamers Member

Actually, it reduces physical resistance by 100%. No, the two are not the same. Against monsters with 50% Physical Resistance, it will actually triple how fast the health bar goes down.

It does way more than that. It stops Frenzytaurs from using Frenzy, stops Shamans from reviving minions, and once you hit the mid 30's it starts hitting targets before they are even activated. Excellent CC curse.

Agreed, only useful for non-necros using lots of PDR and soul drainers.

It's used to unblock bottlenecks like bridges and doorways so can get more skeletons attacking at once. Also useful for Poisonmancers to stop poisoned monsters from attacking as they run away and die.

It can be overriden, but the monsters will still keep attacking until their next AI check is made.

IM is terrible, esepcially in PvP. It works at 1/10 effectiveness in PvP, and only reflects damage you actually take. You'd be lucky to get even 100% damage return, and it's all physical damage (everyone stacks physical resistance in PvP). With the terrible HP per Vit gains that Necromancers get, anything that smacks them in melee (Druids, Barbs, Paladins, Assassins) will just ignore the curse and and still slaughter them.

IM is also terrible in PvM. The damage simply isn't high enough to counteract the fact that monsters in hell have about 75 times more HP than their average attack's damage. Again, it deals physical damage so it's reduced by the physical resistance that is universal in Hell. If you have Thorns aura, you are WAY better off casting Amp Damage on your enemies to increase the reflected damage of Thorns aura, not stacking it pathetically with this waste of a curse.

Life Tap + CB is the ultimate strategy for dealing with extremely high HP enemies like Act Bosses, Ubers, and other quest monsters like Izual, Nihlathak, etc.

DV is better crowd control than this spell, but this can bunch up melee monsters for CE. If you're using high-level CE, this curse is superfluous.

Again, doesn't increase damage. It reduces physical resistance by 50%. Amplify Damage tends to be better against most enemies. Any monster you would use Life Tap + CB on is a monster you would hit with Decrepify on before CB. It's also *the* PvP curse before everyone starts teleporting.

Poisonmancers are also quite common, and they use LR a lot. There are also plenty of Necromancers that use Life Tap when fighting Ubers (if nothing else). The only truly worthless curses are Weaken and Iron Maiden, but as you said we need those in order to get the good stuff.

19. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

You are right you only need curses amp through decrep for summon necro. Poison necros however use lower resist for their main curse.

20. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Why?

Because nobody realizes that you can save all of those precious points and instead max out Blood Golem!

Nope. The best one is Amplify Damage. If you need other curses, you're not doing enough Damage to be Amplified in the first place. In other words, only goobers use other curses. Seasoned pros with Infinity and Enigma only stick to the best, because they're smrat.