Why don't more people play HC?

ReiperXHC

Diabloii.Net Member
Why don't more people play HC?

I'm so curious as to why more softcore players don't play hardcore. You know some of these guys have been playing for years. And even in this ladder season they have MORE than enough items to make numerous strong characters.

They can easily afford to lose some items if they die, and it's not like it would take them long to build another character. And in the end, that would only make them FAR better at the game.

I mean, come on. It's possible to build a character who can SOLO the the ubers! With equipment that's not even all that pricey!

I'm not trying to complain, I just think more people should do it. Minus the total bungholes who cheat and ruin the game.

If anybody disagrees feel free to post here. (Not that you wouldn't heh)

-Reip

(oh yeah forgot....even with all that equipment...they die very frequently anyways lol)

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
People play this game for fun. It's not fun for some people to have to worry about dieing all the time, and worry about losing their gear. Some people just like to slaughter stuff, or don't care to plan their builds that carefully, or don't know enough to build a character to survive HC.

-hps

Freewynd

Diabloii.Net Member
different playing styles

agreed, seems you can divide gamers up into several catagories.

whats appealing to one just isnt to another, and so on.
while i agree with the note...hcl is the only real way to play d2.
thats also one opnion.

but your right.. :wink3:

some good secrets and best left secrets.
-Freewynd

Full_Circle

Diabloii.Net Member
SCARED!!!!!!!
It's a little more complicated than that, I think. I'd wager that most people who still play softcore have at least tried hardcore. They probably came in expecting it to be just like softcore where "they hardly ever die" and they got a rude awakening.

People who play hardcore with a softcore mentality die really fast... usually to other players. Then they go back to softcore.

Wardawn

Diabloii.Net Member
It's a little more complicated than that, I think. I'd wager that most people who still play softcore have at least tried hardcore. They probably came in expecting it to be just like softcore where "they hardly ever die" and they got a rude awakening.

People who play hardcore with a softcore mentality die really fast... usually to other players. Then they go back to softcore.
I reckon that most people also get mighty frustrated when they get tppk'ed. Which also tends HC players running back to normal when they get too fed up with the scams and tricks. tis' a shame a few idiots ruin it for the majority.

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
Not to mention that Hardcore PvP in general is, let's face it, pretty much a joke. Trebby's thread is a step back in the right direction, but in general duel games are full of hackers, dupers and lamers, and most duels you do manage to get just end up being lop-sided juv/flux fests.

On softcore you can perfect your gear and build over time while dueling the best duelers as many times as you want with no consequence. You don't need to build a one-hit KO char to win duels, so many more builds are viable. There are people on non-ladder that do nothing but duel.

Most people who enjoy PvP actually prefer this rinse-and-repeat option to the high risk Hardcore PvP, and I can't say I blame them. If I got completely sick of PvM I'd probably make a few softcore duelers.

Dimmu Borgir

Diabloii.Net Member
I was reluctant to go Hardcore until only recently, so I can help answer this.

In my case, it's because the builds available to you are so much more limited. You can't afford to plan a Barbarian caster-killer expecting to get a Nigma. You can't afford to plan a Whirlwind Sin. Or an Auradin. Or a Sorceress Shockbear. Because quite simply, you will not make it that far in Hardcore.

You're left with skill-dependent builds rather than equipment-dependent builds. Which just goes to show you 80% of the Softcore community can't even play the game, so they rely on equipment and rediculous tweaking to help out their inability to strategize (i.e. Auradin).

Basically, people want to be Uber. It's hard to pull off in Hardcore.

In my case it wasn't 'cause I couldn't play, though, it was because I wanted to try out a lot of those equip-dependent builds. Like a Holy Fire Enchantress and so on. Now that my fun is over with, I'm left wanting to just play the game.

Plus, Hardcore always has that gloomy shadow of PK looming over your head. Act cautiously. Trust no-one. Quite frankly that "fear" excites me, and really refreshes my formerly stale Diablo experience.

cynicalcat1

Diabloii.Net Member
well in my case i came to hardcore for the challenge.i had gotten bored on softcore and switched over, been having a ball ever since.i died alot in the beginning, then changed my tactics and now have a 91 necro summoner going.

as stated above most people just do not want the challenge any more.

Dimmu Borgir

Diabloii.Net Member
Thats the thing that bugs me, hundreds of people are complaining about how "easy" the World Event and DClone are, and about how they want an actual challenge... yet they never stop to think about Hardcore, or just don't bother with it when they do.

They want challenge, but they can't handle it when its actually there.

WrongdayJ

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I stated this in another thread, but I'll repeat here because it's appropriate.

I usually test my builds in SC because (like HP_Sauce said) you don't have to be as worried about gear and dying.

But once I think I have something- it goes HC.

To me at least- it's not a real build until it's mortal.

Wardawn

Diabloii.Net Member
Something else I found interesting was when I started HC, by sheer dumb luck I got Demonhorn's Edge Destroyer Helm. If I found this in softcore I'd gather more barb stuff and try to make a viable build. However in Hardcore, I want to trade it because I have my doubts about me making it long enough to use it without being killed. Also if anyone wants to trade *wink* *wink*

princesspk

Diabloii.Net Member
I switched over to HC when I got bored of softcore because I thought it sucked to be able to kill anything in the game so easily. I've played mostly amazons, and this was back in 1,09. Yes, you all remember the multi-shot and guided arrow madness of those days. So it got boring, and I switched over to HC. I got a few characters up and running but then quit playing the game for about a month. When I came back someone had somehow gotten into my account and simply killed all my characters, and that made me stop playing. Now I'm just coming back to the game and I knew I wanted to play HC from the beginning. Got an old friend to take a SC char quickly to norm baal and started right away... Hardcore is just a lot more fun to me. You actually need to play wise and not just jump right into the pack like you would do in softcore. If I ever play again in SC I know I'll keep the HC mentality, cause it's just so much more thrilling.

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
Thats the thing that bugs me, hundreds of people are complaining about how "easy" the World Event and DClone are, and about how they want an actual challenge... yet they never stop to think about Hardcore, or just don't bother with it when they do.

They want challenge, but they can't handle it when its actually there.
FACT: People like to whine or complain. It makes them feel special and gets them attention. What they are whining about is of little concern to them. Point out that what they are whining about is silly and easily solved and they will either ignore you, or move on to complain about something else (probably how annoying you are after you've left the room/game).

They aren't whining because they actually want a challenge, they are whining because they want to whine and that's a convenient thing for them to whine about.

anyone want any cheese? Cause there's a lot of "whine's" in those 2 paragraphs!

-hps

Full_Circle

Diabloii.Net Member
The reasons I moved to hardcore no longer really apply. At the time (around 1.05), softcore was filled with scammers and idiots, while hardcore was a haven of mature, friendly players. The PKs in those days were similar to what you find on this forum today. It was that combined with the sense of challenge that drew me to hardcore.

Today, though... Hardcore is the new softcore. Hardcore items are more valueable than softcore, so the dupers & botters that ruined softcore have moved to hardcore. As HP said in another thread, this game is not dead... but it is definitely dying.

ReiperXHC

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow! I figured this would generate a lot of feedback. Thanks for your intrest in my thread, guys.

Diablo isn't dying. I don't know if I can post the names of other websites, but if you go into the Game (Frequently Asked Questins) <lol vauge enoguh?> PC section, look at the top 10 games.

Doesn't really seem like the game is dying to me when I do that. Anyways. I think I'm happy starting out here on HC. Got a 43 Summon necro to mainly just survive and play and maybe find some items on the way.

Just started a Frost Zealot today, (level 5 heh) A build I've never done before, but hell...it looks like fun. As for the less viable builds, I think I'll will probably attempt those someday too. Losing gear isn't all that scary to me. I usually just end up giving stuff away to my friends.

That's another thing. I've already made a couple of pretty cool friends...hope to make some more in the near future, but as for now, I have people to talk to and transfer in games with, and to level and quest with if I get bored.

Thanks for the input guys.

WrongdayJ

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sure you'll enjoy playing the Frosty. . .It's one of my favorite builds.

Mine's Lv58 now and really a load of fun to play.

Good thread BTW. . .:thumbsup:

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
Reason I never play hardcore........
I like extreme offensive gaming and I like to constantly play a char till i perfect them, something I cant do if its 1KO = done.