Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why doesnt this work...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by PixelTribe, Jun 4, 2005.

1. PixelTribe

PixelTribe IncGamers Member

Why doesnt this work...

Me and my brother both want to play on battle.net USwest... we both have legal cd-keys that are different all four of them... when i try to connect it wasy unable to connect and tells me to check my connection but i know im connected because im right here typing this... does anyone know how i can fix i would really appreciate it.

thankyou

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Are you running a firewall that could be blocking the D2 ports?

3. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

can firewall block D2 ports?

4. SuggestiveName

A decent firewall will block whatever ports you tell it to block. That's kinda a big point of having a firewall.

5. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

not unless you paid a WHOLE lot of money for it... and then configured it that way yourself. even cisco IOS does not block outbound unless you set an access_list to do so.

in order to trouble shoot this, we need to know more about your home network setup. ip scheme, firewall/router type and setup, etc etc. unless you changed something, or have something grossly mis-configured, most home network firewall/routers should work the way you need it right out of the box.

6. SuggestiveName

No. Many firewall programs auto-block any program that tries to talk outbound at all. Most of the time you need to approve a program on the list in the config, depending on the firewall program it might ask to approve/disapprove program X for access.

But you are right, I should have been more clear, it's not the outbound port that is probably, more likely it is blocking of programs that are trying to access outbound (and inbound) connections.

7. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

do you try to conect whit 2 computers over the same ip ? not sure if taht works...

8. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, atleast one should be able to connect then?

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I'm doing this all the time. Routers capable of doing NAT (i.e. all routers not older than 5-10 years) support outgoing requests to the same port from multiple computers at the same time. To make it work the other way around (for TCP/IP games, for example), you need to configure port forwarding properly, so the router knows which computer to forward the request to if somebody from the outside connects to your IP address in the internet at port X. Even my el-cheapo router at home supports both.

There are two types of firewalls: IP firewalls and personal firewalls. An IP firewall is normally part of a gateway (your router plus the router at the ISP are a gateway, although routers with full firewall capabilities are more expensive) and affects all network traffic to, from or through it while a personal firewall is meant to allow or disallow applications to connection request connections or accept requests for a certain computer only.

Any firewall worth its name can block or allow connection requests, both from the outside to the inside or the other way around, depending on the foreign IP address and the port of the foreign or local host. Normally all requests from the outside are blocked (except you are running software that is meant to be accessed from the internet, like a web server, or if your comp is the server for a tcp/ip game... se also port forwarding above) and only certain outgoing requests are allowed (like connecting to anywhere via port 80, else your web browser won't work).

You can try "telnet host 4000" (with host to be replaced by the ip address of the bnet server) via Start->Execute. If you get get a message like "connection refused" or a timeout error, port 4000 is blocked by some firewall, either for telnet or for any outgoing connection request. If you get a message "connection closed by foreign host", it works (it means that a connection has been established, but as telnet isn't the Diablo game, the appropriate data isn't sent by it and sooner or later the bnet server will close the connection).

I'm quite sure it's a firewall issue or you started the game with the -skiptobnet option and the current patch is to be downloaded. In the latter case, the usual animation (Diablo holds a bulb which slowly fills with a red liquid) isn't shown, so you might not have waited long enough for the patch to download.

10. druliusCleaver

druliusCleaver IncGamers Member

Does your brother have a different machine? Can he get on? Are you both behind the same router?

In winXp the XPfirewall blocks everything automatically, you must manually go into it's controls and specifically allow applications (dII) to make and use internet connections.

11. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

I had a problem similar to this and THIS HERE fixed it.
    Might want to try it out just in case.