Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why doesn't Bliz ban bot users?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by lior, May 26, 2005.

1. lior

lior Diabloii.Net Member

Why doesn't Bliz ban bot users?

On the simple premise that a real player cannot play 20 hours out of 24hrs...

2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster Diabloii.Net Member

Well, there are several reasons:

- they don't care for the game anymore, they're more concerned about WOW etc

- the ones that care might ban a few bot/mh users here and there, but I estimate they can only cover about 0.01% of all users (being optimistic that is)

- you can't ban players that play 20 hours out of 24, at the beginning of the ladder, I can imagine peeps playing for 3 days straight, or when there is a special clan event, that requires clan members to play for 24hours, or a special marathon for the purpose of charity, you name it

- and last, I'd stop caring about bots, you can't do anything against hem, and since they don't harm you, just leave them be, do your own thing, and keep in mind that whenever you do something public on battlenet, botters aren't the worst that can join your game

"May the Force be with you, young Padawan"

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It's possible to detect bots, but it's like a race.

1. A bot gets programmed.
    2. Blizzard writes software to distinguish bots from humans.
    3. The bot gets changed.
    4. If Blizzard will earn more money with further changes than a software change will cost, Blizzard's software gets changed, else they give up.
    5. Go to 3.

4. lior

lior Diabloii.Net Member

But I guess it's easy for Blizzard to know how much hours an account is playing, and if one account is playing hours upon hours for days and even weeks, doesn't it mean something?

5. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

It means that SOMEONE is playing. It doesnt mean that its a bot. Keep in mind, that as soon as the ladder starts over, people will want to win the ladder race.
    Every race so far has been won this way:
    -One player create the character.
    -His friends create 7 others.
    -They roam through the game together, exping fast and controlled.
    -When they get tired, someone else takes over. The character never rests.
    This means a character can easily be played 24/7 (except for realm downs ofc), without using a bot. Easy as pie.

6. krischan

That's what I meant with "software to distinguish humans from bots". To counter such a way to detect bots (which actually might not be a bot, see the previous posting), I don't think it's a problem to program a bot that switches accounts from time to time.

7. lCE

lCE Diabloii.Net Member

Only way to stop bots would be to introduce a code that has to be inputted before one creates a game (the code would use graphic and not text), its extremely hard to create a software that could input the correct code, this would stop bots dead in their tracks.

However, i dont really mind the baal bots, in fact they make it easy to lvl nowadays, i mean it creates a public game, teleports, bo's u, instead of trying to find a game that doesnt have 7 idiots standing in town deciding whos going to teleport next. (and that was common before bots appeared).
    If ur going to say that bots make it easy to find extremely rare stuff, i strongly disagree, the odds of some items dropping in this game are so astronomically low, that even with 24 hours/7 days a week of botting ur more likely to win a lottery than find a tyraels might.

8. Omikron8

Omikron8 Diabloii.Net Member

Does this really have to be answered again? Because they don't give a damn. They put up tons of "rules" and agreements for you to read and then turn their backs on the servers. Their recent changes to temp ban people who create multiple games sequentially too quickly hurts legit players more than bot users who just have to put a delay on their bots.

9. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster Diabloii.Net Member

Well, imagine the waiting lines (you do remember those don't you?) when bots wouldn't have a delay? I prefer this way rather than having a waiting line of 1500 or more and never being able to get into a game.

10. krischan

See step 4 of my first posting :lol:

11. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

Personally, I like that the MF bots take the edge off on the rarity of runes. They make it possible to have a lot more high runes out there that are legit and keep the costs down. If not for bots, you could virtually guarantee that any rune you see is duped and that small handful of rich kids that bought their dual BotDs for 200 bucks on ebay would be kicking the crap out of everybody.

I don't see much point in using them myself (why bother playing at all?) but I also don't mind hopping into a Baal run that's being led by something more competent than some noob who thinks teleport and 25% FCR is going to get us to the Throne. I also don't think Blizz should have made any items harder to find than Death's Web. If everything were legit, that one lucky kid who found a Zod rune would suddenly become the equivalent of a Diablo billionaire, but nobody would be able to actually afford his rune without real world dollars so it would be pointless.

12. Leohappy

Leohappy Diabloii.Net Member

Widespread usage of bots caused most items to lose any value. So basically, they destroyed the game for legit players, since if they find anything, there is a 95% chance it's worth NOTHING. I guess it would be better if there were more duped runes and no bots :p.

On the question of why they don't ban bot users, I am pretty sure the battle.net team knows who's botting and who's not. For some reason, they've not decided to ban bot users (I must assume they would have to ban too many current players, and that would cause a large hole in d2 player population. Seems they're trying to keep d2 players on bnet ATM, even if they're botting).

13. zirilion

zirilion Diabloii.Net Member

i like the way you think......

looks like your a robot as well.....