Why doesn't anyone put points into inferno?

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member
Why doesn't anyone put points into inferno?

Why do fire sorcs don't put any points into inferno to synergize meteor? After meteor, mastery, fire bolt and fire ball you still have over 20 points left. Is the meteors instant damage more important than the flame damage?

Oh and also, why do meteorbs use spirit shield instead of phoenix? Meteor and frozen orb have casting delay, and fire ball isn't used as much as in other builds. That means that fcr isn't that important. Phoenix gives -28% fire resist, which isn't easily beaten

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Why doesn't anyone put points into inferno?

That's where you are wrong. The build meteorb is a misnomer. It's really called fireball/orb. However, the name fireball/orb sounds less cool. ie. Fireball is the main fire spell, not meteor. I only use meteor to camp Diablo spawn, really.

Supox

Diabloii.Net Member

Well to answer that spirit vs. phoenix question, it's kinda obvious, since phoenix is hugely expensive compared to spirit. (4 hrs vs. four really common runes).

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

Why do fire sorcs don't put any points into inferno to synergize meteor? After meteor, mastery, fire bolt and fire ball you still have over 20 points left. Is the meteors instant damage more important than the flame damage?
You forgot to counter in Frozen Orb and all the pre-requisites (at least 10-15 points there). No room for more synergy pumping.

Generally, I'd prefer to pump a synergy that helps my Fireball more than Meteor, since, like AnimeCraze said, Fireball is used much more often than Meteor on a Meteorb. Both Meteor and Frozen Orb are timered spells (and share the timer), so you have to choose either one or another. I choose FO as timered spell and Fireball as a great spamming spell. At 105 FCR (8 fpc) a Meteorb is like a little Machine Gun, spewing Fireballs left and right.

I also will never use Phoenix - I think it's a bit of a waste of runes. Yes, -28% fire resist. BUT! No skills, no FCR, no mana, no resists - only Redemption (which is often too slow) and -fire res (which can be offset by Tal set and facets).

Poppis

Diabloii.Net Member

And no FHR. 55% from a single item is pretty nice.

chiangee

Diabloii.Net Member

Well this is kinda off topic; why not make a Inferno Sorceress, according to my calculations....it does about say 9315-20250 per SECOND. Now I think in PvP or PvM, that does so much damage that bosses would die easily. Plus you can even max out Energy Shield and Telekinesis, making you an automatic tank since warmth is also maxed. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but I think it would be very good.

Anyone want to help me out with deciding if a Inferno Sorceress would be a good idea?

Huplet

Banned

Consider a fireball sorc. My 200/142 gets 22k damage.

a) Range is huge.
b) 3 FBs/sec * 22k = 66k DPS
c) Range is huge, especially in PvP.
d) You can use ES/TK on a fireball sorc and still get 17k damage or so while maintaining tank status.

Yeah.

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

Well this is kinda off topic; why not make a Inferno Sorceress, according to my calculations....it does about say 9315-20250 per SECOND. Now I think in PvP or PvM, that does so much damage that bosses would die easily. Plus you can even max out Energy Shield and Telekinesis, making you an automatic tank since warmth is also maxed. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but I think it would be very good.

Anyone want to help me out with deciding if a Inferno Sorceress would be a good idea?
Inferno is bugged - the actual damage is around 1/3rd of listed value.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

In the question about putting points into inferno, I didn't mean a meteorb. I meant a fire sorc. Since fireball, it's synergies and mastery is maxed, there is only one synergy, (and since it's pure you can't put points into frozen orb).

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

Fire sorcs are mainly PvP. No opponent is going to just stand around and wait for the flames to do their job. If you PvM with a Fire sorc, then everything not FI will die from 1 Meteor anyway (a few more hits for bosses, of course).

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

But enemies who weren't hit by the meteors can chase you and go into the flames after the meteor struck.

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

In that case, just fireball them. Much faster than waiting for the flames to do the job.

MYK

Diablo: IncGamers Member

Meteor is a lot of fun. Sometimes I like to use it instead of spamming Fireballs and instead I'll spam teleport or G-Spike or Telekinesis to keep them in the "blast radius." It's sort of tedious when compared to simply holding down Fireball and waiting for stuff to die, but.. You gotta have fun sometimes.

I'd love to make a pure meteor sorc with Infinity for taking out Baal, or maybe a Meteor/TK build so I can load up on MF items and not kill my cold/fire res.

The Inferno synergy is kinda weird. I guess after you max the other synergies you might want a little bit more burn damage, but it's the initial hit that does the most damage, and wringing as much as you can from that is the usual choice.

You could possibly make an Inferno/Meteor/Orb if you wanted. So, you'd max Fire Fastery, Meteor, and Inferno. The usual minor in FOrb. "Spam" Inferno in between Meteor falls... Sounds kinda nifty, I might try it.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

I thought more of a mono-tree build with maxed fire bolt, ball, meteor, mastery and inferno. That would yield perfect foreball and meteors.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member

People opt for hydra if they don't go ES, at least that's what I saw in some build guides. Dra can make people move better than meteor flames.