Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why does the Artisan "level up"?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by direfire, Aug 25, 2010.

1. direfire

direfire IncGamers Member

Why does the Artisan "level up"?

Looking at the latest movie from Blizzard Jay speaks of the Artisan sort of level up as you help him complete quests.

But the Artisan seem like such a MUST HAVE guy that I don't understand why he should need to be "upgraded", everyone's going to do it, it's mandatory.

And since he seem to be such an important friend to have in the game the quests he hand out must be very simple not to loose the very poor players and we all know that Blizzard aim for the largest target group possible.

So, what's the deal?

2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Re: Why does the Artisan "level up"?

Pacing and money sink. It prevents low level characters from accessing high level equipment, and it provides a method by which gold is removed from economy in order to prevent inflation.

3. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

See it in the way of the artisan progressing as you progress.

4. kuangtu

kuangtu IncGamers Member

You can have more and better recipe of items available for you every time you update your artisan. They can't just give everything to you at once.

5. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

I don't think any important quest can be failed per se, it's just a matter of dying repeatedly until you succeed, as was the case in D1 and D2. Consequently, I doubt the quest will be much easier than other quests obtained at that level.

What I'm interested in knowing is whether or not artisan quests will be repeatable in Nightmare and Hell and, if so, what the quest reward(s) will be (free artisan level up?).

6. Doppel

Doppel Banned

What about high level players not having updated their artisans, will they be able to make uber low level gear then?

7. TheMythe

Yup! Upgrade you artisans and take care of them like you take care of your own toon IMHO.

8. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Artisans help with the "you can't have it all" philosophy. We will probably pick the artisan that helps our chr the most and put most of our time into him/her which means you neglect the others.

9. TheMythe

Why not go with every artisan quest we can get for our toons to get a better total game understanding... In the Diablo games noone sticks to one toon only.

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

maybe a new recipe for doing the nm/hell versions of the quest? i wonder if it will be like cain in d2 where we actually lose the artisan when we start d3 nm mode until we do the quest

as for the OP's question, i think in a rpg game anything that you can have level is a good thing. people love to level, it is why they are going for 100 levels instead of 20. the more people level be it their main character of a stupid gem the happier they are. add in the obvious gold sink and preventing lowbies from having super items and it makes sense to me.

personally i would be fine with more than 5 levels, maybe 5 per dif level? guess i will have to see how fast/easy it is to level them

11. WizardGurl

WizardGurl IncGamers Member

Probably they wanted the Artisan to focus on getting weapons and stuff especially for the character's level.As you gain more levels and more money,your requirements are getting higher and so you upfrade the Artisan to you needs.In D2 all of the selling NPC were showing you higher level and requirements stuff that you couldn't use when you were small leveled.So i think it's a great idea to get all the stuff you need at the level you are.