Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why does no one use Pride Runeword?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by FalconPunch, Jul 30, 2010.

1. FalconPunch

FalconPunch IncGamers Member

Why does no one use Pride Runeword?

Running the numbers a level 20 concentration grants a 345% bonus to damage for the merc (and?) yourself. Why don't I see every zealot backed by a might/pride merc or something similar? Also theres freeze target/Blind target/potential for 300% bonus attack rating and a bonus 99% more damage to demons.

So why isn't pride more popular? I have actually never seen anyone using it (that I noticed at least) and I'd assume for many melee characters it is far more useful than Insight or Infinity. Any response is welcome, am I missing something here?

2. TurinT

TurinT IncGamers Member

Re: Why does no one use Pride Runeword?

If these observations are on the (relatively) new ladder, it's possibly that players have other runeword priorities over a pride stick.

Particularly a Lo rune may have more direct benefit in either grief or fortitude, especially for an ubers pally. My first thought of Sur at this point is that it's 1/2 Ber. Ber brings thoughts of CoH, Enigma, Infinity... While perhaps not directly useful for a zealot they are certainly good items for other chars. Cham is too tasty for Zod if you really want BotD.

3. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

It's expensive. Usually only PI are probelm for zealot, so I prefer Reaper's toll merc. And in party higher level concentration aura is almost always there.

And you already have so much damage auras already running, so it gives only little more damage.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

On-weapon %ed is usually better than off-weapon %ed because it's harder to get and evenly distributed numbers lead to higher total damage. Pride adds no on-weapon %ed at all (%ed to undead/demons goes to the off-weapon part, even when on a weapon... an issue which has been overlooked by the developers IMO).

Example 1: 50 base damage, 0% on-weapon %ed and 500% off-weapon %ed: 50*(0+100)/100*(500+100)/100=300 damage.

Example 2: 50 base damage, 250% on-weapon %ed and 250% off-weapon %ed: 50*(250+100)/100*(250+100)/100=612 damage.

5. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Bowazons use a Might/Pride merc, I have one myself (Rolled L20 Conc woo!)

Pride isnt that great a stick for your merc, otherwise. No innate ED on the weapon, so its not doing that much more damage. No LL. Freeze and especially Blind are rather pointless for a Zealot or other melee builds.

And you actually do more damage when the Decrep from Reapers falls (which of course is pretty often at 33% CtC). That -50% phys resist is going to give you at least 50% more total damage (going from 0 to -50%), and usually more like 100% more (going from 50% to 0), and of course gives you a solution for PIs as well. Conc from Pride will always give you damage, not just when a monster's cursed, but the bonus wont be as much, especially if your merc is Might and is already providing some damage bonus.

And, plus, Reapers comes with LL, meaning you can use the helmet slot for resists or CB instead of LL, and can be socketed for even more versatility.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

yeah and its the highest damage merc weapon too. all around better than pride(or anything else for that matter)

7. FalconPunch

FalconPunch IncGamers Member

Thanks for your responses I think I am beginning to understand this a little. What is best for a summoner necro as far as merc weapons goes? Infinity for -defence/resists or pride for concentration or Faith?

8. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

You might want to look around in the Necro section for more opinions, but I favor the following options (with Andy's & fortitude):

EbotD war pike (highest straight dps for merc)
    Infinity CV/CA/GPA (-res for CE and mages, -def% for skellies and merc, crushing blow)
    Obedience CA/GPA (cheap! enchant for merc ar, resists, 370% ed garanteed, crushing blow)

9. Jake the Quinceeater

Jake the Quinceeater IncGamers Member

Note that Pride gives Freezes Target +3, meaning that monsters killed by a Pride-wielding mercenary will shatter upon death. For this reason as well as the relatively low attack rating of skeletons and the power of Corpse Explosion, I believe Infinity is preferable to Pride for a summonmancer's mercenary.

I do not recommend a Faith-wielding mercenary for a summonmancer because it has to be from Act 1, so you lose out on an extra aura.

10. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member