Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why does my necro suck.

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Dementia, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Dementia

Dementia IncGamers Member

Why does my necro suck.

Why does my necro suck? I followed the Skellymancer bible, and am level 49 on nightmare.
    Skills:
    25-Summon Skelly
    25-Skeleton Mastery
    9-CE
    4-Decrepify
    I'm getting trashed, my necros do 200 damage and have 500 health.
    I use:
    Trang-Ouls Amor
    Cathans Mask
    Burning Dead Scythe
    Normal Gloves/Boots
    Hwanin's belt
    Crappy Ammy/Rings
    I'm on USEast Ladder, account is I)ementia(I'm muted)
    Thanks

2. xtc_sazabi

xtc_sazabi IncGamers Member

maybe its your playing strategy. How do you handle tougher opponents, which curses do you use? Do you use attract/confuse to tackle strong groups? I never felt my summoner had any problems after normal mode, because using amp/CE/skeletons could handle almost anything. I would try and get a wand with + skills, and a shield with + skills (this is what i did until i got better gear, later in hell mode)

3. Dementia

Dementia IncGamers Member

Actually, i just decrepify them, let my skellys kill a few, then CE them.
    My 2 handed weapon is plus 3 necro skills, its pretty nice for my level.

4. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

I don't know. I mean you shouldn't suck with this stats. If you die frequently just in a few places, it's common. Even the best summoning Necro may have troubles with places like Arcane or Trav. Here are my suggestions. If you can give us more details about what's going on, it shoud help.

1) Think about switch to Amp Dmg. Dec is good, too, but Amp Dmg is more damage-oriented.

2) Get a Glay Golem if you don't have one yet. Put 1 point into Golem Mastery and Summon Resist also.

3) Do you have a merc? If not, hire the Nightmare Act 2 Offensive merc. He has the Might Aura which can boost your skeles' dmg dramatically. (Slvl 1 Might increases melee dmg by 40%, which is amazing)

4) Maybe your play style isn't correct. I expect you to know that a summoner should always stay 3 yards away from the monsters. Bone Armor should be recommended although it doesn't protect you that much without Marrowwalks.

5. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Cerebron is right to mention the Might mercenary, which is the Normal and Hell Act II Offensive Mercenary. Discussions about these mercenaries abound on this forum. Without a Might mercenary, skellis take forever to kill monsters in hell. Furthermore, one needs a strong mercenary to get that first kill. You can't rely on a golem to do it, let along yourself (if you are pure summoner--whacking hell monsters with a Gravenspine is just sad). Actually, you didn't mention your weapon or your shield. You don't say what exactly your problem is, but it might be resistances if you have a lousy shield.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of Decrepify. I use it only on act bosses and when I run into the Extra Strong, Extra Fast, Stone Skin unique monsters that chew up my lvl 30 skellis in no time. I use Amplify Damage more often. It is a much more effective curse to pair with CE, which is half fire and half physical, if I recall. Amp's 100% more damage from CE is better than Decrep's 50% ED.

A point into bonewall helps in situations when you are swamped with monsters. You can spam bonewall to section them into more manageable groups. The Succubi in Hell WSK are Immune to Physical and cast a very powerful lower defense curse. On top of that, they cast an unbelievable amount of physical damage projectiles. When I run into crowds of them (especially when they are accompanied by Iron Maiden casting Oblivion Knights), I spam bonewall, cast lower resist, and let my mages kill them. After one or two, I CE the corpses, letting the fire damage hurt them instead of the physical. This is just an example from my experience, but it works for any situations like these.

Talking about mages reminds me: you don't mention them. I find that they are the elemental artillery for the Warrior infantry. I'm maxing them right now, at level 85, but I had a few points in there early on to make sure I could get a few poison and cold mages to prevent monster heal and chill (respectively).

Finally, I strongly recommend using Attract. It is especially useful against ranged attackers (except piercing ones like Black Souls), but it also requires just a few casts to make crowds of monsters confused but in a manner better than Confuse, since it Attrack cannot be overridden. I like to cast Attract on Immune to Physical monsters because they are more durable targets in most cases.

All these ideas I got from reading posts on this forum. You can simply read the posts as they come (with special attention to Members posting in the 1000s) or dig around for some good tips. Or, even better, take some time to experiment with different skill combinations. A guide is just that, a guide. There hasn't been a perfect killing machine in DII since the Iceblink-wearing, Dual Leeching, Lance-wielding, whirlwinding, Act III clearing Barbarian of 1.07 lore.. back when rares were king and uniques were trash... when everyone carried a manald heal and a nagelring while gambling for rings... when... there was a... reason to.. play.. a bowazon...

<grandpa nods off> :sleep:

6. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

grampa forgot that might mercs are sold in act 2 NIGHTMARE

7. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Doh. No excuses. Just got where to and where not to buy them confused.

:teeth:

8. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

I would like to bring up that you shouldnt trust all posters with post counts in the 1000's, they could just be lame spammers like me :lol:

They are speaking the proverbial truth, you do have to get that first kill in or your kinda screwed. Do you raise mages then warriors or the vice versa? What kind of golem do you use?

9. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

I suggest keeping an eye out for any good + to summoning heads and shopping drognan for a +3 summoning (golemlords) wand so at least you have some % chance to block over the big scythe (though, looks are good as well :thumbsup: )

With 25//25 , you should be wasting NM, if you were in hell, I could understand the problems. Mainly I see that you probably need to work the curses a little better. To rephrase what others have said:

Curses to Use:

Decrep
    Amplify Damage
    Attract
    Confuse
    *Lifetap

I suggest that you use attract on 2 or 3 monsters in herd. Then Amp or Decrep, you preference. If you start to see skeles fall, Lifetap the group. This will slow your kill rate, but can keep a merc and skeletons alive in tight spots.

Get and Act 2 Might Merc (offensive) and use Clay Golem. Both will help.

~Kbob

10. goofycaca

goofycaca IncGamers Member

I don't know if anybody mentioned this or not but it could be your resistences.

In nightmare and hell your resistences are dropped to make the game a bit more difficult and interesting. You mentioned that you use a two handed weapon with plus skills. I prefer to use a plus skill wand and a diamond studded shield. This give you bonuses and the diamonds up all of your resistences. Needless to say the creatures will take full advantage of you if you leave your resistences in the negative.

11. JustGotOwned

JustGotOwned IncGamers Member

An excellent shield for this is Mosers, If you're willing to sacrifice some +skills that is, with 2P diamonds mine has +63 res all and with Anya quests thats basically all res at 0 in hell. It also gives faster balck rate and better chance of blocking.

12. Makhlath

Makhlath IncGamers Member

1. Get a might merc.
    2. Start using Amp instead of decreepify. (I Use decreep on Baal/Diablo only)

With your skills you should be rocking. Don't expect to be wading through NM like a whirlwind at your level,- you'll be strong and safe, but slow :)