Why does my merc die so much?

Huk

Diabloii.Net Member
Why does my merc die so much?

:( It's sad really, we tele to meph hand in hand and then meph hands him his gaze quite easily, so I'm not very happy about it. He's wearing the following:
ethereal gaze (open socket)
Shaftstop (15 res jewel)
Doombringer (32 ed jewel)

I'm not sure what to do, please tell me why my merc is so bad.
 

Vex_Nemox

Diabloii.Net Member
Huk said:
:( It's sad really, we tele to meph hand in hand and then meph hands him his gaze quite easily, so I'm not very happy about it. He's wearing the following:
ethereal gaze (open socket)
Shaftstop (15 res jewel)
Doombringer (32 ed jewel)

I'm not sure what to do, please tell me why my merc is so bad.
First you could do better with any weapon that can Slow Meph down. Damage isn't key to a Merc tanking Meph for a Sorc. Reaper's Toll is the best, Kelpie Snare is a close second.

The main reason, since you have most of the gear you need, is his level. If he isn't at least 85+, he is going to die alot. I recommend getting him to 90ish if your main concern is keeping him alive, do Pit runs and you will level up fast on players 3+. Then around 88ish try Meph again.
 

SnakeEye85

Diabloii.Net Member
mercs aint that good vs act bosses cause they have some huge dmg bonus vs them + some other that i forgot...

but yeah they die pretty fast, atleast mele...

IIRC
 

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member
Vex_Nemox said:
First you could do better with any weapon that can Slow Meph down. Damage isn't key to a Merc tanking Meph for a Sorc. Reaper's Toll is the best, Kelpie Snare is a close second.

The main reason, since you have most of the gear you need, is his level. If he isn't at least 85+, he is going to die alot. I recommend getting him to 90ish if your main concern is keeping him alive, do Pit runs and you will level up fast on players 3+. Then around 88ish try Meph again.
btw he has act 5 merc ;)

I dont use merc at all when running Meph. It is just too difficult and slow to keep him alive. Of course casting Life Tap on Meph or slowing him down is a good idea, but why do you even need merc there? :scratch: I have never needed him so much against Meph
 

Huk

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't really need him at all, it's just that he's my friend and I like him, also his name is Khan, so Khan has to be a badass. There is no way that someone named Khan is gonna die to some prissy named Mephisto on my watch, therefore I ask these questions.

Khan is a real man.
 

SideShowBob

Diabloii.Net Member
LprMan summed it up pretty well. Since your merc can't leech life
off of Mephy it is tough for him to stay alive. How high are his resists?
 

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member
Huk said:
I don't really need him at all, it's just that he's my friend and I like him, also his name is Khan, so Khan has to be a badass. There is no way that someone named Khan is gonna die to some prissy named Mephisto on my watch, therefore I ask these questions.

Khan is a real man.
:lol:

Ok, then go shopping and try to find wand with Life Tap charges, it will help him a lot ;)
 

Vex_Nemox

Diabloii.Net Member
Huk said:
Khan is a real man.
Then Khan need lebels, Khan isn't quite "man" enough. :D Seriously, sorry I didn't notice the weapon was a Sword runeword, you are gonna want levels. You haven't mentioned what level he is?

Good call on the Life Tap wand, it may do what he needs as long as he can hit Meph.
 

Huk

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, he's 83 at the moment, I've leveled him from 81, I guess I'll get him higher level so he can be manly like my sorc.
 

Vex_Nemox

Diabloii.Net Member
Huk said:
Oh, he's 83 at the moment, I've leveled him from 81, I guess I'll get him higher level so he can be manly like my sorc.
If he is 83 then he can hit Meph, get the Life Tap wand as suggested. I was going on the premise he is getting hit too often, doesn't have max resists, could use a bit more life, etc.

If his resists are maxed or near maxed stick a PRuby in that Vamp. You can always Hel it out later if something better becomes available.
 

SideShowBob

Diabloii.Net Member
Vex_Nemox said:
Seriously, sorry I didn't notice the weapon was a Sword runeword, you are gonna want levels.
Actually, Doombringer is the unique
champion sword and Doom is the runeword
you are thinking of here. :D
 

Fafner

Diabloii.Net Member
I found this worked with NM, which in no way means it will work in Hell, but it might and its CHEAP. Get yourself Woestave, the unique Halberd, upgrade it to exceptional (elite if you have Puls laying around). It is basically a poorman's Decrep. especially with a HF merc. Teleport next to Meph, get an orb off and static field like made. While this is going on your merc will have frozen him from HF, and if he hit him, then Meph is 50% slower, instant decrepify, from there you can stand back and Orb the living crap out of him. This works amazingly well on Baal, well NM Baal. I'll report the Hell results this week. It's like having a Necro/Sorc, the only thing better would be to equip a Spell Steal with real Decrep charges, but I use my switch for MF (Gull+Rhyme). The other reason I like Woestave is that it freezes on hits for regular monsters and it blinds target, combine this with Rattlecage for CB and Tals for LL, and it's pretty solid for not much.
 

Ravenforce3

Diabloii.Net Member
Huk said:
I don't really need him at all, it's just that he's my friend and I like him...
I feel the exact same way about Khaleel, my paladins Fire merc. He can kill things in hell (if I whack it with PMH first,) albeit it takes a while. He doesn't do much more than serve as a distraction and die a lot, but I love having him around. If I'm wrong for feeling this way, then so be it.
 

Dr. Strangelove

Diabloii.Net Member
three things mainly: defense, pdr, resistances. this adds of course on a big weapon. ll is preety much only an option. if you're a non-sorc and have to perform a switch, the merc is a must indeed.




peace, NSK factory, and don't forget biscuits for smut
 
with my fishy mancer, my merc is basically a walkign aura with hgih def as he likes toget stuck in but recently he has been rewarded with a very nice rare pike with 100%ED and fire dmg as extra. he knwo can kill mosnters ok in hell, although if he gets corneed i need to decrep the things around him so he canfight his way out safely
 

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's what I do to keep my merc alive. This leaves you to not wanna' be hit by meph or anything at all, unless you're tanking with max block, resists, damage reduction, and some heavy life. (Or just a few of the above.) Get a nice four slot belt. Fill it with Super Healing Potions. Once you see your mercs life go down a little. Hold shift and jam down the first row of potions. After you attack meph a bit more jam down the second, the third, and if you really need it the fourth. My Act II merc can tank well enough that I hardly have to feed him but 2 full slots. Then meph is down in no time. Every now and then I have to dip into the third or fourth slot. Sometimes meph just doesn't wanna stay still!

I've also found that meph's charged bolt spell hurts any melee merc a LOT. Even with 75 Lightning Resist.
 
Top